Plasti Dip'd the CARpet :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Yep I did it! I had a few goals in mind with this project:
-Needs to be waterproof(there are very few chemicals including rubber seals like that Flex Seal stuff that tout water proof and can handle standing water for multiple days and this I believe is one of them but this classification of waterproof is adequate since it won't be in standing water up to the floor boards....) 

-Want to retain my original good condition carpet

-Do not want to remove seats, hardware, etc.

-Want to retain carpet feel as much as possible

-Wanted color options

-Didn't wanna deal with masking and spray paint plus no waterproof with that

So with the Plasti Dip I got to achieve all my goals and it does look good. I have some more to put down up front and in the passenger area, I'm guessing 1 more gallon of the pre-thinned spray Black Cherry. It took 1 gallon of un-thinned Plasti Dip and I chose tan since it was cheap and a neutral color that's similar to the brown carpet. It's thick too so the carpet will soak more of it up and less will bleed through creating a better base layer.
After that the Black Cherry went on well but still soaks up quite a bit which is why the front and passenger area still took a whole gallon for both coats. The last coat should fill in the lower carpet pile areas where you can still see some tan. 

I figure the rear carpet will take about 1 gallon of both and I should be done.

I was able to pour water on the floor and it stayed pooled up for over an hour and after about 5 hours it finally puddled out but still remained on top, and not soaked into the carpet. 

The carpet still feels much like carpet but a bit stiffer and a slightly noticeable rubber feel on my bare feet. Exactly what I wanted since I drive barefoot all the time!

Since I didn't mask anything off I do have some of the trim that got the Dip on it but that doesn't matter. For one it's barely noticeable and if it does bother me, I'll just "rub it out" and it's quick to do. 

This did cost about $100 more than normal carpet or rubber mats but I did not have to re-shape anything, and what I have is already perfectly molded plus I didn't have to remove anything to get the job done good enough. I also got a color I like and it's unique like much of the rest of my truck. I'd also have more gaps on the sides for the aftermarket carpet/mats than I'd have with the factory most likely and either way I'd still have gaps to fill in for 100% water proof flooring so to me it's a no brainer why I went with this.

Would I recommend this ? Absolutely as I have no regrets and would do it again consider my specific needs. Just don't ever Plasti Dip your entire plastic trim interior, that you will regret.

OP
OP
entity-unknown
Reaction score
Thanks Al! It's an "each to their own" project but I have searched frivolously to find reviews of Plasti Dip'n carpet and couldn't find anything across Google / etc. I have seen questions about it though so I thought this seemed like a justified post after the project :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 
I'll post more pix once I'm done and try to find a good balance of lighting to show the true colors/contrast once i finish the final coats. I'm in AZ so lighting balance is a challenge ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
I never would of thought of putting that material on carpet and expecting good results out of it. Glad you have what you wanted. Let us know how it holds up over time.

OP
OP
entity-unknown
Reaction score
I was scared to do it. I really figured it'd be another project I'd ruin but I usually do get MOSTLY the results I wanted which is usually owed to research from places like this :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I searched for Dip'n carpet but couldn't find anyone that's done it. Either way I took the gamble and surprisingly it did turn out but certainly it's all fresh so we'll see :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
The rubber pad below the pedals is peeling but I expected that so I'll probably remove the stuff from that area or just let it wear away.

As time goes on I'll let you know how things work out but considering the nature of rubber and carpet, which is known to never come up I really think I should be good. Working with liquid latex and reading the horror stories of it getting in carpet (latex was my first thought so I could keep the natural brown color) but the horror of it getting in carpet was my exact goal since it's permanent in carpet/fibers and naturally waterproof. You can tint latex but it's more expensive by the gallon thanks to Hollywood/The Walking Dead type shows hence why I went with Plasti Dip. So yeah, it wasn't quite a fools errand; I did put several years of thought into this project and the timing with Plasti Dip's popularity (color options, price, gallons options) worked out. So really it's almost guaranteed to last a lifetime with relative proven history. The real question is would be how well will the color hold up and perhaps will I get flakes ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke