Paying for a warranty on gear install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wileec

Reaction score
I am getting new gears and a locker installed soon. (about time) The shop is offering a 3 year 36K warranty that will cover all parts and labor for what is being installed. Having never had gears done is paying an extra 200 for the 3 years worth it?

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Since the gears and locker should be warrantied from the manufacturer, I'd say the $200 would be to cover labor. What are they charging you to install the gears and locker? It's prolly more than $200. I 'd just make sure they cover everything, including bearings, seals, gears and ask what exactly is covered for damage or breakage. Will they cover it if you run the Baja 1000? Prolly not, but they should for that price. If you're going to wheel it offroad with 35" tires ,there's a good chance you may break something. Most likely will be an axleshaft or pinion bearing. JSM84

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
wileec

wileec

Reaction score
I am wheeling but right now on 32s maybe 33 on the next set. I am pretty sure it covers everything that they install, gears master install kits and Detroit.

Justshootme84

Reaction score
What brand of gears are you getting? I know the Genuine gears iput in my 84 Bronco have a lifetime warranty, not too sure about Yukon. IF the parts you're getting only cover 90 days, look for another brand. JSM84

OP
OP
wileec

wileec

Reaction score
Not that I am complaining about the input JSM84 but I was looking for different opinions by placing on two boards. (actually 3, 1 local 4x4 mostly heep) :blush:

The Heep people are against the Genuine gear set, yes that is what they are, so they carry the lifetime but that does not include labor this would. How do you like yours? Any issues? The heep guys say since I got Genuine to get the warranty, I am thinking the issues would be in the install before the gear has a problem.

OP
OP
wileec

wileec

Reaction score
Steve83 said:
How long are they willing to warrant their work if you DON'T pay the $200? If it's less than 1 yr, find a better installer. Any problem with gear installation should be evident within a few thousand miles, so if you drive the Bronco daily, you don't need 3 yrs to notice it. If it's just a toy, then it might be worth it.
That is my quandary. I average about 5K a year maybe. Tried to talk them into 36k without the 3 year. :lol: no love there. I wheel it pretty hard when it does get driven.

Damn you guys are no help at all.

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Not that I am complaining about the input JSM84 but I was looking for different opinions by placing on two boards. (actually 3, 1 local 4x4 mostly heep) :blush:
The Heep people are against the Genuine gear set, yes that is what they are, so they carry the lifetime but that does not include labor this would. How do you like yours? Any issues? The heep guys say since I got Genuine to get the warranty, I am thinking the issues would be in the install before the gear has a problem.
I had no probelms with the gears, and neither did the guy I sold the axles to. I bought them from 4WheelPartsWholesalers, solely because one of my frineds in austin was the manager at the time and gave me a little discount. I had them installed by one of our local club wheelers, just swapping the gears into the carrier. I did the actual install and removal on the Bronco. That is fairly easy onthe Ford 9" and Dana44 TTB, but more idfficult for your Ford 8.8" rear.

As far as advice, I am of the type that doesn't believe in warranties, except on transmissions. But that's mainly because I can do the repair work if something breaks. IF you don't have the tools, shop to work in, or friends that can do gears, then I'd say $200 is well worth it. What is it costing you for parts & labor, like $1500? You got plenty of good advice on break-in period on the other board, so I didn't comment about that. I do agree that if the gears are not setup properly, you will quickly know about it.

OP
OP
wileec

wileec

Reaction score
Thank you. I have the tools and ability for most jobs but gears scare me. I am still up and down it will probably be a last minute decision. If I break them in and drive it enough for the rest of this year I will for sure know. The biggest problem is that there have been months in a row that the Bronco does not leave the garage. It would be nice to have 3 years to find a problem.

Damn right back where I started.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23