Optima Batteries

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Who uses a optima battery in their Broncos? What's the main difference between the redtop and yellow top??

I'm in need of a new battery soon..taking 2 seconds to start up now

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Adam,

Try cleaning all battery and batty ground connections first; inspect the wire strands clost to the terminals and close to the cable insulation for corrosion; clean it up and try again.

Take it to a parts store that tests batty and starting/charging sys for free.

If you find that you need a new batty.; consider this;

Battery Review, Walmart Everstart Maxx 65N; 850 CCA, 1090 CA

yo gang, I purchased this battery at WAL MART® (battery is not listed in their web site)

It is mfg. by Johnson Controls & produces this EXACT SAME battery (CCA, etc.) for many auto makers and retailers under different product names such as:Motorcraft® silver BXT-65-850; ~$100.00 to $120.00 Plus $104.95 + tax, etc. at your local friendly Ford dealer

Sears Die Hard Gold 33065 $105. +

Auto Zone (Duralast Gold)

Eveready

Everstart

Interstate Mega-Tron Plus $104.95 + tax, etc.

Toyota (TrueStart)

Mitsubishi (Diamond Car Care)

Mazda

Advance Auto (Autocraft Titanium)

Costco (Kirkland Signature)

Pep Boys (ProStart & Energizer)

btw, Johnson also mfg. Optima brand

WAL MART - excellent price $61.00 w/ 7% sales tax and free installation (SEP 07). The warranty is 3yr free and 108 month pro-rata

CCA: 875 amps @ 0 degree F/ CA = 1090 amps @ 32° F; Reserve capacity: 165 mins

Same size as other Bronco batteries..

44 lbs

12 " L

7.50 " W

7.50" H

=-------------==============================

"...Optima is now owned by Johnson Controls (thats when the quality went down) - Then they moved production to the plant in Mexico and that is where they are currently being produced. Construction to my knowledge is still the same but I feel they have cut corners in the quality assurance end of things..." & "...When the Swedes owned optima, they paid us well and quality was foremost of all at all cost. JCI is the company that KILLED optima batteries, we always had 99.99 pure lead until JCI bought optima. The first thing they did was: fired all of the on staff scientists, then fired all of the PHD's, then fired the chemists, then dismantled the chemistry lab, then dismantled the prototype lab, then got rid of the pure lead and replaced it with lead with higher tin content, then JCI brought in their genius engineers and re formulated the lead acid paste, then replaced the AGM paper with lower grade paper, ex cetera, ex cetera. All of this was done within the first 2 years of their ownership! We had to fight like **** to prove that what we had when they purchased us was superior to what they had done.

we finally convinced them to begin returning to some of the successful methods Gates had originally designed, but only after making them think that it was their idea. When the U.S. plant shut down, we were using pure lead, similar to original paper and similar paste formula, however, there were many, many other changes they had made in the manufacturing process that negatively affected the optima but produced higher volumes. In my opinion, the Enersys Odyssey is, by far, the very best battery on the market today. I am aware of some of the mfg practices being used specifically on the optima in mexico, and they are not conducive to quality!"

Source: by Weber at another Forum

============

Red Top: High-CCA starting battery. Provides engine cranking power for vehicles with stock or average electrical loads.

Part Number: 34 (8002-002)

RedTop®; Battery; UNBOXED; Group 34; Cold Crank Amps 800; Crank Amps 1000; Reserve Capacity 100; Top Terminal; L-10 in.; W-6 7/8 in.; H-7 13/16 in.;

Part Number: 75/25 (8022-091)

RedTop®; Battery; UNBOXED; Group 75/25; Cold Crank Amps 720; Crank Amps 910; Reserve Capacity 90; Dual Terminal; L-9 5/16 in.; W-6 13/16 in.; H-7 5/8 in.;

Part Number: 34/78 (8004-003)

RedTop®; Battery; UNBOXED; Group 34/78; Cold Crank Amps 800; Crank Amps 1000; Reserve Capacity 100; L-10 in.; W-6 7/8 in.; H-7 13/16 in.;

Yellow Top: Dual-purpose starting and deep cycle battery. Provides engine starting power plus deep cycle capacity to support multiple accessories , demanding electrical systems , and vehicles without alternators

Part Number: D34 (8012-021)

YellowTop®; Deep Cycle Battery; UNBOXED; Group D34; Cold Crank Amps 750; Crank Amps 870; Reserve Capacity 120; Top Terminal; L-10 in.; W-6 7/8 in.; H-7 13/16 in.;

Part Number: D34/78 (8014-045)

YellowTop®; Deep Cycle Battery; UNBOXED; Group D34/78; Cold Crank Amps 750; Crank Amps 870; Res. Capacity 120; Top Terminal; L-10 in.; W-6 7/8 in.; H-7 13/16 in.;

http://www.optimabatteries.com/battery_selector/

Seabronc

Reaction score
In spite of the write up of someone that lost their job in the out sourcing of America, I have had no problems with my Optima battery, but then maybe I purchased it before the move. If I had known they out sourced, I probably wouldn't have bought it. I know of one battery manufacturer, (C&D), who produced most of the extremely large batteries, moved to Mexico and to my understanding they went out of business because of poor quality issues.

Off hand most of what we buy is from outsourced companies. Oh well, this is really off subject so I'll stop.

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Hmm I really want a "cool" yellow top battery in the engine bay to make it look good.. but that 'walmart' battery for $60 seems like a better option. I know there are always same products out there with different names, it's a matter of finding which ones and looks like that wally battery is it.

Well maybe I'll try it..

Xxxyank

Reaction score
I use an Optima Blue top in my boats, cause they are less likely to explode.

but Besides that, i only use interstate batteries in my vehicles... I haven't had one of them fall short of failing when they were suppose to (given the year warranty wise)... Normally i would replace it before it would ever happen... After 6-7 years of looking at the same old battery, i would get antsy & replace it anyway... I do the same with the Optima, just out of habit.

OP
OP
A

AdamDude04

Reaction score
I use an Optima Blue top in my boats, cause they are less likely to explode.

but Besides that, i only use interstate batteries in my vehicles... I haven't had one of them fall short of failing when they were suppose to (given the year warranty wise)... Normally i would replace it before it would ever happen... After 6-7 years of looking at the same old battery, i would get antsy & replace it anyway... I do the same with the Optima, just out of habit.
See I'm wondering how that works as far as it's failing.. My broncos battery is quite old. And I have an interesting story with my other truck. 2005 Nissan Titan - Started up quickly and ran just fine. I started it up one day and went to taco bell to grab my credit card I had left there the prior night. After waiting for 45 minutes because the dinner rush was more important apparently to the manager..(took her less than 30 seconds to open the safe, grab the card, look at my ID and give it to me)..I drove to Starbucks across the street. Truck started up just fine in about a second. Walked into the bucks, got my coffee an came out - Truck would not start. Just clicked clicked clicked. Tried to jump start it with my Bronco, and it would semi crank, but nothing. Got a new battery for it down the street, and it started up like normal. So in this case, there was no warning what-so-ever.. And usually you can tell when it takes the vehicle a little longer, and longer, and longer to start up every time..

Thankfully my company truck is never more than a year old (got a 2010 loaded Tahoe now) so that keeps me on my toes about how quick a vehicle should start up..

Xxxyank

Reaction score
It's hard to say really... Maybe i just been lucky... But i keep on top of things, i could recite to you, what my last voltage check was on every vehicle i own (well except for the EXT Caddy cause i let the dealer service it)... I have a BEAR which puts load tests on batteries as well... Normally every 3000 miles or 3 months, i scan, poke & prod my vehicles to make sure i don't have any break downs, change the oil, etc... OR it will make me aware of something that is about to go...

Anyways i don't have a problem using regular batteries in my vehicles. I might go overboard on other things but a battery is just a battery as long as meets the requirements...

Now on my boats i use the blue top cause it's also for my trolling motor & it use to get beat around cause of recharging and such... but ever since i have installed this cool recharging station on my boats, I'm not that really worried about it anymore. but i do think they are generally safer, cause they are sealed & they do seem to hold the charge longer.

OptimaJim

Reaction score
Hello, I noticed your conversation regarding our batteries and wanted to offer some assistance. Both RedTops and YellowTops can be used in starting applications, but YellowTops are true “dual-purpose” batteries, designed for both starting and deep-cycle applications. If you are running a winch, refrigerator or other significant electrical accessories, we strongly recommend a YellowTop.

The quality of our batteries has always been excellent and continues to improve. We still manufacture all of our own batteries and we never re-brand or re-spec them for any retailers. We still use 99.99% pure, ****** lead in our batteries and many of the “bad” batteries returned to us now are just deeply-discharged. Many battery chargers will not recognize or charge any battery that has been discharged below 10.5 volts. A deeply-discharged Optima can be recharged with such a charger, by using the parallel charging technique explained in this video- http://broncozone.com/topic/20507-how-to-recover-deeply-discharged-optima-batteries/

The key to long battery life is to maintain a voltage level of at least 12.4 volts. When batteries are discharged below that level, sulfation begins to diminish performance and longevity. If you have any questions about our batteries, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Jim McIlvaine

eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.

www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

OP
OP
A

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Well I went and bought an Everstart MAXX from walmart. Now $77 for the 65N

I was going to opt for a yellowtop, but I think I'm going to save that for when I get a trailer. I'll be using this everstart battery until then, then when the change goes into effect, I'll use the everstart IN the trailer with the yellowtop in my truck.

I will for sure be getting a yellowtop because durring this change, the battery won't be in factory location..more like a heavy duty power inverter :-"

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Adam,

ok, SAVE da WAL MART RECEIPT in your Glove Box; just in case...Good to have it in the Bronco if somethAng happens in warranty period.

Did they check the charging/start system too?

OP
OP
A

AdamDude04

Reaction score
yo Adam,

ok, SAVE da WAL MART RECEIPT in your Glove Box; just in case...Good to have it in the Bronco if somethAng happens in warranty period.

Did they check the charging/start system too?
Every peice of document goes with the Bronco. Battery/Alternator/starter/ect goes in glove box, other documents go in home safe.

I installed the battery myself. I'm selling my battery on CL. It sat for a few days, and still reads 12.5 volts. Someone I'm sure could use it for a camper or something...

My starter system is good though. I got a new Alternator a few months ago. 90 amp. New starter last year as mine was starting to go out. New something..bolts up next to the battery - round like shape, goes with the starter. Next is all new cables sometime in the next couple months.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK