OBD1 Codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motech

Reaction score
Awesome outcome! I'd call this one fixed, bravo!

I don't know about that meter though. I'd recommend a different unit, one that is self-scaling, will measure mV, mA, ohms, frequency, and has a min/max feature. Should also include good long leads with detachable probes and clamps. Units like your little HF meter can spin you in diagnostic circles.

OP
OP
Basque1

Basque1

Reaction score
Congrats, I would say, definitely progress! Did you have the alternator reconnected during the road test?
Your voltage reading is still strange to me. (I am uncertain what "HV" on your meter stands for, plus you were on the 750 V A\C scale which makes your reading a full 26 volts A\C)
Something appears weird there for sure, but, I think its more meter related than anything.
I feel you are on the right track (providing the success isn't purely coincidental.) Clean up that VSS connector and try it again. If it still acts up, disconnect the Alternator wire and drive it, (If you haven't already done so.)
It doesn't look like the Alt is your problem, but its pretty easy to rule out.
Like I said earlier, there are a multitude of things that can make the light flash. But VSS is high on the list, so carry on the path you are on, (Till you hit a roadblock or fix it)
Good luck
Cheers!
Tks man for the words of encouragement. I drove twice and both times the alternator was connected. I did clean the VSS connection and added the dielectric grease.
Awesome outcome! I'd call this one fixed, bravo!

I don't know about that meter though. I'd recommend a different unit, one that is self-scaling, will measure mV, mA, ohms, frequency, and has a min/max feature. Should also include good long leads with detachable probes and clamps. Units like your little HF meter can spin you in diagnostic circles.
I have an old snap-on( see picture below) that my brother gave me the only problem is kind of limited as to the tests you can do, it is part of a combo meters of 3 meters that you can test others areas. But for now I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is fixed. Tks a million for your input an patience. One thing I have reservations in doing is electro-mechanical work. Like Dirty Harry says a man has to know his limitations, and I know that is one of mine.
Sincerely
Lou

snapon meter.jpg

Motech

Reaction score
Harbor Freight has a few other DVOMs to choose from that are VERY affordable for what they offer.

This one is only $75.00 and has all the features even I would ever need in a meter. It is marketed to electricians, and personally, I think the layout of cable connectors and control buttons is a little to busy.

64019_W3.jpg
CLICKY

This one here has all the same features, but is much more tidy and consistent with industry standard-bearer Fluke. At $95.00, it is a fraction of their cost though.

It is self-ranging, but also can be manually set with just a push or three of one button.

64021_W3.jpg
LINKY

Get one. With your quick-learn abilities on full display here, you have already outgrown your little seven dollar unit, and unless you go into a profession requiring advanced electronic diagnostic skills, you'll likely never outgrow this one.

Motech

Reaction score
Tks man for the words of encouragement. I drove twice and both times the alternator was connected. I did clean the VSS connection and added the dielectric grease.

I have an old snap-on( see picture below) that my brother gave me the only problem is kind of limited as to the tests you can do, it is part of a combo meters of 3 meters that you can test others areas. But for now I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is fixed. Tks a million for your input an patience. One thing I have reservations in doing is electro-mechanical work. Like Dirty Harry says a man has to know his limitations, and I know that is one of mine.
Sincerely
Lou

View attachment 31085

Limited indeed for modern diagnostics, but what a cool old tool!

OP
OP
Basque1

Basque1

Reaction score
Harbor Freight has a few other DVOMs to choose from that are VERY affordable for what they offer.

This one is only $75.00 and has all the features even I would ever need in a meter. It is marketed to electricians, and personally, I think the layout of cable connectors and control buttons is a little to busy.

View attachment 31086
CLICKY

This one here has all the same features, but is much more tidy and consistent with industry standard-bearer Fluke. At $95.00, it is a fraction of their cost though.

It is self-ranging, but also can be manually set with just a push or three of one button.

View attachment 31087
LINKY

Get one. With your quick-learn abilities on full display here, you have already outgrown your little seven dollar unit, and unless you go into a profession requiring advanced electronic diagnostic skills, you'll likely never outgrow this one.
Tks for the suggestions I will visit my Harbor Freight store and look them over and get one.

OP
OP
Basque1

Basque1

Reaction score
Limited indeed for modern diagnostics, but what a cool old tool!
Well here we go again less than 24 hrs from my claim to success I drove 8 miles to get some gas and returning home noticed the pesky OD light flashing again for less than 60 secs. Slight erratic shifting while it was flashing but it went away, this is getting me really frustrated. My Concern is that I don't want to ***** my transmission... where con I go to look from here?
Sorry guys
Lou

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar