OBD1 Codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Basque1

Reaction score
I repaired the VSS Speed sensor on my 1995 Ford Bronco 5.8lt, however, I have not been able to clear the code since the scanner that I had was only a reader. The code with the KOEO is a 111 which means all systems are ok, but I am unable to figure out the codes with the KOERunning mode. I would like to clear my truck's computer b y disconnecting the battery, however, after 15 minutes I don't think it cleared. Any help would be appreciated.
tks

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
First question is are you sure the problem has been corrected? Like no speedo, or speedo bouncing?
What was it doing before and what is it doing now?

isn't 1995 OBD2?

OP
OP
Basque1

Basque1

Reaction score
First question is are you sure the problem has been corrected? Like no speedo, or speedo bouncing?
What was it doing before and what is it doing now?

isn't 1995 OBD2?
No it is OBD1, This is what I did; replaced the VSS on the rear diff of my truck, test drove it and the light of the over drive still blinks at around 50 MPH and the transmission shifts hard or like in limp mode.

I do hear like a slight clicking sound around the shifter I am wondering maybe a short. I purchased an OBD1 code reader, however, it does not clear the codes. So at this point I don't know if my repair did the trick or not.

I did the flash counting with the KOEngine Off and I get the 111 code which means all systems ok, However when I do the KO Engine Running it is a bit confusing to determine the codes. I disconnected the battery negative terminal for 12 -15 minutes I cannot tell if the codes were cleared.
BTW, The speedometer was never bouncing I only noticed the light of the OD button flashing and the erractic and hard shifting of the transmission.

It is very frustrating and I have no intentions to go to my dealer they are absolute morons if I may say.
Tks for any help you can throw to my side
Sincerely
Lou

OP
OP
Basque1

Basque1

Reaction score
Tiha:
The speedometer was and is working fine, no bouncing. The old VSS shows no evidence of metal particle etc I just change it because I was told that this is the most common cause for the Over drive light flashing issue together with the limp mode and rough shifting at around 50mph.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Cool, That clears up a bunch.

Okay, so you never got a VSS code, you were just hoping that was the problem?

The OD flashing can mean a lot of things. I don't know them all off the top of my head but will look them up when I get a chance.

Either way, if the problem still exists you will not be able to clear the code.

The cause could certainly be a solenoid pack, or even the neutral safety switch. Or something deeper in the trans.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, looks like the OBD1 or EEC iv system you should be able to pull transmission codes just like you are doing.

Now, is the OD light on when you are trying to pull codes?
If not then there may not be a code to retrive.

If it is, then most likely it is a limitation of the code retrieval tool you are using. Or Transmission is not communicating with ECM.

OP
OP
Basque1

Basque1

Reaction score
Okay, looks like the OBD1 or EEC iv system you should be able to pull transmission codes just like you are doing.

Now, is the OD light on when you are trying to pull codes?
If not then there may not be a code to retrive.

If it is, then most likely it is a limitation of the code retrieval tool you are using. Or Transmission is not communicating with ECM.
No the light only flashes when driving at approximately 50mph. The code reader was a pos and the contacts were loose and the connection was very poor so I sent it back to Amazon. Nor it was able to clear codes just read them. I am very tempted to buy a refurbished guarantees ECM. Here is yhe company that sells them https://www.fs1inc.com/

Last edited:

L\Bronco

Reaction score
To clear codes on Ford OBD1 systems, start the self test, (Jumper wire or code reader) after the first code starts flashing on the check engine light, pull the jumper wire out or unplug the code reader, you should hear the fuel pump cycle again and the memory codes will be cleared, hard faults or on demand codes cannot be cleared as they are faulty at the time of the test.
The systems with 3 digit codes do log many trans DTC's, engine and trans DTC's are read at the same time as the PCM runs both the trans and engine.
Cheers

Last edited:

L\Bronco

Reaction score
However when I do the KO Engine Running it is a bit confusing to determine the codes. I disconnected the battery negative terminal for 12 -15 minutes I cannot tell if the codes were cleared.
when you start the KOER test you should get a Code "4" at the beginning of a KOER test shows as 40 on an old Ford STAR (self test automatic readout) tester (it counted the flashes for us and gave us a digital readout.)
Code 40 indicated that the PCM was for a 8 cylinder (6's were a 3 or 30 and 4's were a 2 or 20) The flicker is the fault codes coming in the data stream, (Fast codes)
during the 40 it should rev up to around 1500 RPM and run a series of tests, while that is going on, you are supposed to turn the steering wheel rapidly half a turn back and forth (To activate the p\S press switch, step on the brake pedal and release, (once only) and cycle the O\d cancel switch on then off. After about 30 to 40 seconds you should get one flash (10), This is a dynamic response request, Stomp the throttle to the floor and release quickly, (This tests the knock sensors) immediately after the goose test (as we called it) the fault codes will flash, if it passes you should get a 1-1-1 (111) no faults. Usually the list of flash codes during KOER was long.
Hope that helps
Good luck
Cheers

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Lou,
Transmission Control Switch (TCS) and Lamp Operation
The transmission control switch is a momentary contact switch. When the switch is pressed, a signal is sent to the powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650). The powertrain control module then energizes the transmission control indicator lamp and the coast clutch solenoid, applying the coast clutch to provide engine braking and cancels fourth gear operation. The TCIL indicates overdrive cancel mode activated (lamp on), electronic pressure control circuit shorted or monitored sensor failure (lamp flashing).
from
Section 07-01A: Transmission, Automatic, E4OD
Bronco 1996 All F-Series and Bronco with E4OD Automatic Transmission Workshop Manual (PARTIAL)

Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) Troubleshooting in 92-96; "...Check the wiring from the OD switch at the steering column, the wires there are known to break. Could well be the problem. Check that your brake lights are working properly and if you have spliced in wiring at the rear lights check the condition of it..."
Source: by Case 7230

Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) Troubleshooting in 92-96; "...check the wires coming out of the shifter handle, I have had several trucks have those wires short out and cause some strange symptoms. Just pull the plastic cover off the top of the column and take a look, it's pretty obvious when it happens..."
Source: by jrainw

Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) Troubleshooting in 92-96; "...because wiring may be misrouted causing a short in the steering column and a blown #17 fuse in TSB 92-22-5 for 92 Bronco & all Light Trucks
Here is a TSB that deals with it; for a 92 though.. and may apply... even tho year range is off... and your OD sw is in dash and 96's are on end of tranny stalk....but... itsa pure guess on my part..and it's an ez no $ check anyhowz
1992 Ford Truck F 150 4WD Pickup V8-351 5.8L
Vehicle Level Transmission and Drivetrain Technical Service Bulletins Customer Interest Electrical Systems - Multiple Malfunctions
Electrical Systems - Multiple Malfunctions
Article No. 92-22-5 10/21/92
LIGHT TRUCK: 1992 BRONCO, F SUPER DUTY, F-150-350 SERIES
ISSUE:
The transmission control switch wiring may be misrouted causing a short in the steering column and a blown # 17 fuse. The following symptoms may be associated with this concern.
Early shifts
Loss of power
Poor acceleration
3-4 shift cycling
Transmission control light cycling ON/OFF or inoperative
Transmission control switch inoperative
Rear Anti-Lock Brake System (RABS) electronics (dash lights on, etc.) inoperative
Loss of instrumentation (tach, fuel gauge, etc.)
Unable to read Self-Test codes (solid tone only)
ACTION:
Inspect the transmission control switch wiring for damage and repair or replace as necessary. Refer to the following procedure for service details.
1. Remove the steering column cover. Refer to the 1992 Bronco/F-Series Service Manual, Section 11-04B, for the removal procedure.
2. Examine the transmission control switch wiring for damage, Figure 1. (I don't have this Figure)
3. Repair or replace the wiring as necessary.
4. Install the steering column cover. Refer to the 1992 Bronco/F-Series Service Manual, Section 11-04B, for the installation procedure.
CAUTION:
DURING REASSEMBLY, ROUTE WIRING AWAY FROM ATTACHING ***** SO AS NOT TO PINCH OR DAMAGE WIRE.
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
922205A Repair Wiring 0.6 Hrs.
DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
15A808 X1

Before buying any parts;
This problem could be caused by a # of thaigs;
bad vehicle speed sensor (VSS) (also called ABS,, DSS sensor) on the 8.8 (rear differential)/ or Connector/corroded wires inside connector;
or cruddy/damaged tone ring in the 8.8.
bad PSOM (Speedo)
bad 4WABS Module - It is located below ws wiper fluid/coolant recovery tank. So, the connector can be corroded by leaking fluid.

bad wiring/shorts /connectors from VSS at firewall, at 4WABS Module and /or at PSOM and then onto the PCM the locations of the connectors along the path from VSS to 4WABS and up to Instr Cluster & PSOM are;

C404 VSS On rear axle sensor (A7) Terminals: 02

C205 LH rear of engine compartment, in safety wall (Fire Wall) Terminals: 24 In-Line

C202F & M LH rear of engine compartment, in safety wall (A8) Terminal: 7 In-Line

C119 LH front corner of engine compartment on 4WABS control module (E10),Terminals: 40

O/LB to:
C202F & M LH rear of engine compartment, in safety wall (A8) Terminal: 7 In-Line

C252 Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module (PSOM), Behind top LH side of I/P, on PSOM (A7) Terminal: 12 Color: B at Pins 4

LG/Y to Splice S107 Engine control sensor harness, from C119 near T/O to G101 (G101 RH side of Radiator support); to PSOM Pin 5
C202 F and M
and spliced to Ground G100 (BK)
G100 & G104 (tied together in diagram) G100 @ LH front of engine compartment, on upper radiator support

G100 Serves Component:
Fuel Pump Module
Inertia Fuel Shutoff
Misfire Sensor
Misfire Sensor Shield
Output Shaft Speed (OSS) Sensor
Powertrain Control Module (PCM), 5.0L

From PSOM Pin 7 (GY/BK) to Splice S246 Main harness, near T/O to speed control amplifier to
C185 PK/O @ PCM 5.0L Powertrain Control Module (PCM) LH side of safety wall, on powertrain control module (PCM) (C10) Terminal: 104 Color: GY
C185, 5.8L Powertrain Control Module (PCM) LH side of safety wall, on powertrain control module (PCM) (C10) Terminal: 104 Color: GY

C185 @PCM to C202 F and M
Splice 216 to Ground G200, Instrument Cluster ground is inside passenger side kick panel

and on to C185 @ PCM PIN 58 (GY/BK) and from Pin 46 to MLPS (TR) Pin 2
Verify PCM & MLPS wiring & Pin numbers using following WIRING DIAGRAMs by Ford via Steve83
(my eyesight is fuzzy again)
http://www.supermoto...y/media/95931_1

Motech

Reaction score
Whatever is causing your OD flashing at speed will not show up KOEO or KOER because those self-tests do not account for issues that happen only when moving.
It would set a Continuous, or memory code that your Harry Homeowner scan tool cannot apparently access.
Often times, the OD light will actually flash the code, so next time, count your flashes as it's happening.

Motech

Reaction score
A TSB addressing yo9ur symptoms, but I'm doubtful as yours happens at speeds.

Here it is anyway:

A/T - E4OD SHIFT CONCERNS/DTC'S SET
Article No.
95-2-12

01/30/95

^ TRANSMISSION - E40D - DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES - WATER INTRUSION OF THE MLP/TR SENSOR

^ TRANSMISSION - E40D - POSSIBLE WATER INTRUSION INTO THE MLP/TR SENSOR CAUSING SHIFT CONCERNS AND/OR HARSH ENGAGEMENT CONCERNS

^ TRANSMISSlON - E40D - SHIFT CONCERNS AND/OR HARSH ENGAGEMENT CONCERNS DUE TO WATER INTRUSION OF THE MLP/TR SENSOR

LIGHT TRUCK:
1989-94 BRONCO, ECONOLINE, F-150-350 SERIES, F-47, F-53, F-59

ISSUE:
Some vehicles may exhibit a shift concern and/or a harsh engagement concern due to water intrusion into the MLP/TR sensor and vehicle harness. There may also be a number of different DTC's along with those concerns.

ACTION:
Replace the MLP/TR sensor and vehicle harness connector if signs of water penetration are evident. Refer to the following for service details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Verify the customer concern.

2. Perform normal on-board diagnostics.

3. Inspect the MLP/TR sensor for signs of water contamination.

4. If water penetration is present and/or DTC's have been set, replace the MLP/TR sensor and the vehicle harness connector with the TR Sensor Service Kit (F5TZ-7A247-A).

The TR Service Kit contains:

^ One (1) TR Sensor
^ One (1) Connector Assembly
^ One (1) "Red" Pin Separator Plate
^ One (1) 6-Pin Grommet
^ One (1) 8-Pin Grommet
^ One (1) 7-Pin Grommet
^ One (1) Instruction Sheet

PART NUMBER PART NAME

F5TZ-7A247-A TR Sensor Service Kit

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage For 1992-94 Models, Basic Warranty Coverage For All Other Model Years

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
950212A Perform Electronic 2.0 Hrs.
Transmission Diagnostics, Replace MLP/TR Sensor

DEALER CODING BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7F293 08

OASIS CODES:
206000, 501000, 502000, 503000, 698298

L\Bronco

Reaction score
I repaired the VSS Speed sensor on my 1995 Ford Bronco 5.8lt, however, I have not been able to clear the code since the scanner that I had was only a reader. The code with the KOEO is a 111 which means all systems are ok, but I am unable to figure out the codes with the KOERunning mode. I would like to clear my truck's computer b y disconnecting the battery, however, after 15 minutes I don't think it cleared. Any help would be appreciated.
tks
When Your truck flashes the codes, they will flash twice each, the first set are faults that are present at the time of the test 111-111 is a pass then yo should get a single flash which is a separator code followed by memory codes for faults that are intermittent or only occur while driving.
The O\D cancel light will flash for many reasons as Tiha mentioned, including most input sensors in the engine control system as many of them are used for trans controls.
Did you have any luck getting the KOER codes to flash? maybe drive it a bit and get the fault to happen a few times then re run your KOEO test again and watch for the memory codes. The list of things that can cause the O\D lamp to flash is very long and a code will certainly help.
The pressure control solenoid and its circuitry is one to strongly consider if you don't get any codes. when it fails it goes to max pressure which will give rough shifting (It usually gives a code though) usually in memory (After the single flash or 10)
Hope that helps
Cheers

OP
OP
Basque1

Basque1

Reaction score
When Your truck flashes the codes, they will flash twice each, the first set are faults that are present at the time of the test 111-111 is a pass then yo should get a single flash which is a separator code followed by memory codes for faults that are intermittent or only occur while driving.
The O\D cancel light will flash for many reasons as Tiha mentioned, including most input sensors in the engine control system as many of them are used for trans controls.
Did you have any luck getting the KOER codes to flash? maybe drive it a bit and get the fault to happen a few times then re run your KOEO test again and watch for the memory codes. The list of things that can cause the O\D lamp to flash is very long and a code will certainly help.
The pressure control solenoid and its circuitry is one to strongly consider if you don't get any codes. when it fails it goes to max pressure which will give rough shifting (It usually gives a code though) usually in memory (After the single flash or 10)
Hope that helps
Cheers
Ok I purchased code scanner see pictures that comes with the OBD1 adapter see pictures of yellow terminal. I did the KOEO test and the 1st time gave me a 452 VSS code, then it went 111 pass code. The KOER test was unable to retrieve any codes as unable to read DTC / IC . When I attempted to erase any stored codes the reading was unable to retrieve the DTC Codes. I am back to square 1 with this pain in the rear situation. I have no tested the truck after all this but I will tomorrow. Ready to jump off a bridge😵‍💫.

Attachments

• 766F2A8E-77F3-4D7A-9080-69FF2BA35094.jpeg
    766F2A8E-77F3-4D7A-9080-69FF2BA35094.jpeg
    297.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 9F70D1C8-77F1-4F4D-96A5-C53EA4F7CDED.jpeg
    9F70D1C8-77F1-4F4D-96A5-C53EA4F7CDED.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 1

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Ok I purchased code scanner see pictures that comes with the OBD1 adapter see pictures of yellow terminal. I did the KOEO test and the 1st time gave me a 452 VSS code, then it went 111 pass code. The KOER test was unable to retrieve any codes as unable to read DTC / IC . When I attempted to erase any stored codes the reading was unable to retrieve the DTC Codes. I am back to square 1 with this pain in the rear situation. I have no tested the truck after all this but I will tomorrow. Ready to jump off a bridge😵‍💫.
Ok, thats something, you replaced the vss correct?
Carefully examine the harness from the sensor to the point where it disappears into the frame rail harness. They used to rub through on the shock bracket on the driver side creating an open circuit. also verify the wires in the harness are twisted together. (They need a minimum of 9 twists per foot to cancel electro-magnetic interference.)
Good luck
Cheers

OP
OP
Basque1

Basque1

Reaction score
Ok, thats something, you replaced the vss correct?
Carefully examine the harness from the sensor to the point where it disappears into the frame rail harness. They used to rub through on the shock bracket on the driver side creating an open circuit. also verify the wires in the harness are twisted together. (They need a minimum w

of 9 twists per foot to cancel electro-magnetic interference.)
Good luck
Cheers
Ok I will do that tomorrow and update. Yes the VSS was replaced and the connector appeared ok I cleaned the area well and installed the new VSS. Left the battery unplugged for 15 min to erase codes, the condition did not change at the time.

Motech

Reaction score
I did the KOEO test and the 1st time gave me a 452 VSS code

Ford's definition of this DTC:

DTC 452
Insufficient input from vehicle speed sensor to powertrain control module.

This is a "performance" code as opposed to a "circuit" code, which makes it tougher, but gives us clarity.

When I attempted to erase any stored codes the reading was unable to retrieve the DTC Codes. I am back to square 1 with this pain in the rear situation.

No you're not back to square one, you are making good progress!

There are two EEC IV scanner code settings: fast or slow mode. In slow mode, continuous codes are automatically erased after KOEO scan is complete, so don't EVEN sweat that.

And you've made great progress just in that code retrieval! BTW, it will not appear in KOEO On-Demand, or KOER On-Demand self tests because the condition is not occurring at that time, and it will not generate another KOEO Continuous (memory) code until it happens again while driving.

Does this new scanner give you data viewing options too? It would rock if you could see what your VSS signal does when symptom occurs.

Random VSS loss is not too common, but there is one thing that causes yours more than any other issue I've tracked, and that's RFI, ie: unwanted AC voltage interference that messes with other AC generating sensors, like your VSS and ABS wheel speed sensors. The leading cause of excess RFI powerful enough to cause this grief is bad diode(s) in alternator.

If you have a good DVOM, you can measure AC volts across battery terminals. You should not see any, or maybe 1 VAC max. Anything higher can cause grief.

If you have a real healthy battery, another quick & dirty test is to disable alternator and drive it. If symptom gone, replace your alternator.

This makes good sense too because VSS feeds speedometer first, which is fairly well insulated up in your dash. From there, VSS signal is sent back out to ABS, Cruise Control and PCM, which connects under the hood, way more exposed to potential alternator RFI fuckery.

OP
OP
Basque1

Basque1

Reaction score
Ford's definition of this DTC:

DTC 452
Insufficient input from vehicle speed sensor to powertrain control module.

This is a "performance" code as opposed to a "circuit" code, which makes it tougher, but gives us clarity.

No you're not back to square one, you are making good progress!

There are two EEC IV scanner code settings: fast or slow mode. In slow mode, continuous codes are automatically erased after KOEO scan is complete, so don't EVEN sweat that.

And you've made great progress just in that code retrieval! BTW, it will not appear in KOEO On-Demand, or KOER On-Demand self tests because the condition is not occurring at that time, and it will not generate another KOEO Continuous (memory) code until it happens again while driving.

Does this new scanner give you data viewing options too? It would rock if you could see what your VSS signal does when symptom occurs.

Random VSS loss is not too common, but there is one thing that causes yours more than any other issue I've tracked, and that's RFI, ie: unwanted AC voltage interference that messes with other AC generating sensors, like your VSS and ABS wheel speed sensors. The leading cause of excess RFI powerful enough to cause this grief is bad diode(s) in alternator.

If you have a good DVOM, you can measure AC volts across battery terminals. You should not see any, or maybe 1 VAC max. Anything higher can cause grief.

If you have a real healthy battery, another quick & dirty test is to disable alternator and drive it. If symptom gone, replace your alternator.

This makes good sense too because VSS feeds speedometer first, which is fairly well insulated up in your dash. From there, VSS signal is sent back out to ABS, Cruise Control and PCM, which connects under the hood, way more exposed to potential alternator RFI fuckery.
Oh wow this is weird, one question if I do have a faulty alternator, wouldn’t it be affecting my tach reading. I do remember that happening in my Cobra the alternator went and my tach was very erratic which lead me to change the alternator.

OP
OP
Basque1

Basque1

Reaction score
Oh wow this is weird, one question if I do have a faulty alternator, wouldn’t it be affecting my tach reading. I do remember that happening in my Cobra the alternator went and my tach was very erratic which lead me to change the alternator.
UPDATE today I checked the battery all is ok, checked the alternator (fully disconnected from all sources) the DVOM reads 1069 VAC, is this borderline bad/good? I will continue to check the VSS cable for any ruptures kinks etc... I have not driven the truck as of all this.
Lou

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
have you ever pulled the cover and looked at the teeth?

Maybe it didn't apply to the 8" rear ends. But I was thinking there was a TSB that said, pull the cover and check the teeth on the reluctor wheel.

Granted I have never seen a damaged one in person, but seen pictures.

Faulty alternator is possible. Unhook it and go for a drive. Alternator can put AC voltage into the system is there is a bad diode and I believe the VSS as a sign wave.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke