No Brake Lights Help Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

salmonslayer

Reaction score
Hello, I am having a problem with my brake lights on a 1990 5.8L 4x4 Bronco. I can not figure out why the will not light up when the brake pedal is applied. I have already replaced the Brake Switch and checked the fuse in the fuse box. I have signals and running lights,the bulbs appear to be fine. Also my hazzard lights do not work but signals do, so it couldnt be the flasher correct? Anyway if anyone can help me that would be great.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Hazard Flasher Connector Location Behind Dash in a 90

Source: by Seattle FSB (SeattleFSB) at

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/860017

click to enlarge diagram

As tiller83 advised; 2 flasher modules. One is in the fuse panel provides the flash for the turn signals. Flasher behind the dash provides the flash for the hazard lights. They are interchangeable and the same flash module, but they provide different functions.

Park, Brake & Turn, Hazard, Marker, Trailer Marker Lamps, Back-Up , DRL, Wiring Diagram in 87-91 Bronco & F Series

The turn signal switch is very often misunderstood as to how it operates. The turn signal switch does more than operate your turn signals. It operates the horns, brake lights, and emergency flashers as well. For those who are electrically inclined or just would like to understand how the turn signals work, below is an explanation of the operation of the turn signals. When viewing the drawings, think of the turn signal switch oriented where the lever is pointing straight up and the switch is on it's side. As you can see, there are multiple points where age or corrosion may cause improper operation of any of the circuits.

Also notice that the circuit for the brake lights goes through the turn signal switch. The brighter bulb element is used for both the brake lights and the turn signals. This is how the circuit for the emergency flashers works, using the existing brake light circuit contained in the switch. It's important that the turn signal switch be in good condition for the brake lights to operate properly. If the switch is worn, sometimes the actual weight of the lever can make the switch break the circuit for the left brake light but not quite connect the flasher circuit for that turn signal. This happens often and can confuse many an owner or mechanic in trying to learn why the left brake light won't work properly. A new turn signal switch does wonders for the overall operation of turn signals, horns, brake lights and emergency flashers.

OP
OP
S

salmonslayer

Reaction score
yo,

Hazard Flasher Connector Location Behind Dash in a 90

Source: by Seattle FSB (SeattleFSB) at

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/860017

click to enlarge diagram

As tiller83 advised; 2 flasher modules. One is in the fuse panel provides the flash for the turn signals. Flasher behind the dash provides the flash for the hazard lights. They are interchangeable and the same flash module, but they provide different functions.

Park, Brake & Turn, Hazard, Marker, Trailer Marker Lamps, Back-Up , DRL, Wiring Diagram in 87-91 Bronco & F Series

The turn signal switch is very often misunderstood as to how it operates. The turn signal switch does more than operate your turn signals. It operates the horns, brake lights, and emergency flashers as well. For those who are electrically inclined or just would like to understand how the turn signals work, below is an explanation of the operation of the turn signals. When viewing the drawings, think of the turn signal switch oriented where the lever is pointing straight up and the switch is on it's side. As you can see, there are multiple points where age or corrosion may cause improper operation of any of the circuits.

Also notice that the circuit for the brake lights goes through the turn signal switch. The brighter bulb element is used for both the brake lights and the turn signals. This is how the circuit for the emergency flashers works, using the existing brake light circuit contained in the switch. It's important that the turn signal switch be in good condition for the brake lights to operate properly. If the switch is worn, sometimes the actual weight of the lever can make the switch break the circuit for the left brake light but not quite connect the flasher circuit for that turn signal. This happens often and can confuse many an owner or mechanic in trying to learn why the left brake light won't work properly. A new turn signal switch does wonders for the overall operation of turn signals, horns, brake lights and emergency flashers.
Thank You. I will keep you guys posted. I will replace the flasher module that is located behind dash today.

OP
OP
S

salmonslayer

Reaction score
Ok. I have replaced both flashers. The one located in the fuse block and the one under dash on passenger side. I have also replaced the brake switch located on the brake pedal. My brake lights are still not working along with my hazzard lights. What should I do next? Thanks

Elmo

Reaction score
stop throwing parts at it and chase down the problem. check to besure you have 12 volts comming TO the brake switch if yes then see if you are getting 12 volts AT the brake light sockets.if yes the check to besure there is adequate ground through the light sockets.now back to the brake switch if you DONOT have 12 volts on one of the wires of the switch you need to check to besure of its source and check there. this is the point where i would have to refer you to the real electrical masters here in the ZONE and reccommend you have a book handy(haynes chilton or Ford EVTM)

OP
OP
S

salmonslayer

Reaction score
stop throwing parts at it and chase down the problem. check to besure you have 12 volts comming TO the brake switch if yes then see if you are getting 12 volts AT the brake light sockets.if yes the check to besure there is adequate ground through the light sockets.now back to the brake switch if you DONOT have 12 volts on one of the wires of the switch you need to check to besure of its source and check there. this is the point where i would have to refer you to the real electrical masters here in the ZONE and reccommend you have a book handy(haynes chilton or Ford EVTM)
I will be checking for power to brake switch and bulb sockets today. I will keep you posted thank you for your help.

OP
OP
S

salmonslayer

Reaction score
I will be checking for power to brake switch and bulb sockets today. I will keep you posted thank you for your help.
Ok I have tested the power connection to the brake switch and am not getting power to them. Now what? I have already checked fuses in fuse block they are good. is there some kind of relay or module somewhere else that could cause this?

OP
OP
S

salmonslayer

Reaction score
Ok I have tested the power connection to the brake switch and am not getting power to them. Now what? I have already checked fuses in fuse block they are good. is there some kind of relay or module somewhere else that could cause this?

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
According to Haynes wiring diagram, the brake switch gets power through a Lt Grn/ red wire from the hazard flasher (4 way flasher).

That power comes from fuse 1 through a red/wht wire.

See If you can jump 12v power to the Lt grn/red wire at the brake light switch. If that results in things working correctly you will need to trace the open in the wire or replace the wire from the flasher to the brake light switch.

Good luck

PS: have you checked all the bulbs in all the rear and front turn signal/ brake light sockets. Making sure there is no incorrect bulbs?

OP
OP
S

salmonslayer

Reaction score
Ok Guys I got it fixed!!!! A was on the wrong stud on the starting solenoid. it was on the starter side not the battery side. I found this out by testing the fuse block for power on the brake/hazzard fuse slot. I had no power. I noticed i had a constant powe slot in the fuse block so I took a short piece of wire and ran it to the brake/hazzrd light slot and tryed hazzards nothing, so then i push the brake pedal and heard a pop and seen some smoke coming fron under the hood!!! (OH SHIT!!!) i quickly disconected battery and saved the wire. So then i got to thinking maybe that ******* wire it on the wrong side on stater relay so i took some gator clips and clipped it to battery + terminal and tested barke/hazzard fuse slot... BAM!!! Had power... got it fixed. and some new parts.lol Thanks for everyones input & help. I inherited the truck and the starting relay had a couple wires not connected.

OP
OP
S

salmonslayer

Reaction score
Ok Guys I got it fixed!!!! A was on the wrong stud on the starting solenoid. it was on the starter side not the battery side. I found this out by testing the fuse block for power on the brake/hazzard fuse slot. I had no power. I noticed i had a constant powe slot in the fuse block so I took a short piece of wire and ran it to the brake/hazzrd light slot and tryed hazzards nothing, so then i push the brake pedal and heard a pop and seen some smoke coming fron under the hood!!! (OH SHIT!!!) i quickly disconected battery and saved the wire. So then i got to thinking maybe that ******* wire it on the wrong side on stater relay so i took some gator clips and clipped it to battery + terminal and tested barke/hazzard fuse slot... BAM!!! Had power... got it fixed. and some new parts.lol Thanks for everyones input & help. I inherited the truck and the starting relay had a couple wires not connected.
A Wire Was on wrong side****

OP
OP
S

salmonslayer

Reaction score
Hello, I am having a problem with my brake lights on a 1990 5.8L 4x4 Bronco. I can not figure out why the will not light up when the brake pedal is applied. I have already replaced the Brake Switch and checked the fuse in the fuse box. I have signals and running lights,the bulbs appear to be fine. Also my hazzard lights do not work but signals do, so it couldnt be the flasher correct? Anyway if anyone can help me that would be great.
Ok Guys I got it fixed!!!! A wire was on the wrong stud of the starting solenoid. it was on the starter side not the battery side. I found this out by testing the fuse block for power on the brake/hazzard fuse slot. I had no power. I noticed I had a constant power slot in the fuse block so I took a short piece of wire and ran it to the brake/hazzrd light slot and tryed hazzards nothing, so then I push the brake pedal and heard a pop and seen some smoke coming fron under the hood!!! (OH SHIT!!!) I quickly disconected battery and saved the wire. So then I got to thinking maybe that ******* wire was on the wrong side on stater relay? So I took some gator clips and clipped it to battery + terminal and tested barke/hazzard fuse slot... BAM!!! Had power... Got it fixed, and some new parts.lol Thanks for everyones input & help. I inherited the truck and the starting relay had a couple wires not connected.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23