NJ Inspection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PolarrrBearrr

Reaction score
Alright my fellow Bronco-philes from the Garden State. Here's a question that we may or may not be able to figure out together.

As if I don't have enough to fix on my '88, I recently had my truck inspected. I was told, this was the last time that this was going to pass. Now, I know that there are a few things that the State of NJ doesn't like about my truck - the brakes, the transmission, and the non-locking driver's side door to name a few. I haven't been told what the issue was, but I have to think that I'm getting real close to not passing emmisions for the inspection.

I don't want to have to giv up my truck in two years. I also don't want to have to put in a new engine from an Expedition or something in order to pass this inspection. My truck isn't old enough for being vintage, historical or classic for registration, so what do I do? Do I park the truck until it is eligible for that rating? (Read: 3 years after this inspection is overdue...) Or do I start revamping th engine with a K&N intake system and a bigger exhaust? Will that even do it? Do any of my fellow New Jerseyians have any ideas on how to solve this issue?

Oh, and don't get cute and say, move or register the truck in another state. That ain't going to happen...

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

It's a late '88 Bronco with a Centurion Tow Package and Brush Guard, with the 302, 5.0 liter V-8 automatic...

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo!

I know how it is ... NJ has a rep for wanting "older" (non OB II, higher emission spouters than late models, etc.) off the road...

The brakes and door problem can be done DIY wise, just need $ for parts; tranny can be rebuilt over time or swapped from a yard.

For me, the K&N and bigger exhaust is out bec. of wantitng to spend any $ on gas or fixing any maintenance issues, ok? Suggest spendng those $'s for fixing brakes & the door.. tranny

what is exactly wrong with:

brakes...

Some tech repairs

door..non-lock, is it the electric door lock actuator, etc.?

Door Lock Actuator Replacement in an 86 Source: by Sixlitre

Door Lock Actuator Replacement for 87-96 Source: by JBronco

tranny..state type/problem....

We can help here!

bobstrat

Reaction score
make friends with the guys at your local garage. let NJ fail it and then take it to a private garage for re inspection.(most private stations require the little pink "failed" sticker before they can inspect it.) they seem to be a little more lax than the guys at the state center.

swampthing

Reaction score
if you go through the trouble of putting an expedition engine in your bronco dont even take time out of your day to try and get it inspected..they will fial it immediately...i went from EFI to carb on my old car and they wouldnt inspect it...find yourself a private garage talk tot he people see if any of your buddies know people with private stations...as long as its nothing real major they should be willing to help.

4WHEELIN

Reaction score
i have 1990 bronco 5.8 351 i hope i wont have any problems...find a garage where they inspect vehicals they won't be as rough on you as the dmv.

OP
OP
P

PolarrrBearrr

Reaction score
Ok, let's start from the beginning.

The door lock thing is exactly that it won't. The driver's side door refuses to lock, with either the button or the key. I haven't really been looking into it too much, and I really doubt that is the issue. If the door wasn't closing (like my '84 Camaro) then they would fail it. Since the door closes but doesn't lock, I don't think that was the problem.

The tranny has over 116,000 miles on it, and it's getting worn. It hasn't got the power in the low gears, and it's starting to slip a little. I've been meaning to have it looked at to have the problem preoperly diagnosed, and repaired, but I don't have the $ right now to deal with that.

More than likely, it's the emissions. I'm really more concerned with that then anything else.

However, after I posted the original, I did a little research into inspections in the state. I found out that the Bronco is too young for a "historical" status, but it is eligible for a "collector's" status. This means that I can't drive it more than 3,000 miles a year. In this state, those are two reasons to forego the inspection process. I really don't drive the Bronco all that much, but when I do, I tend to take it on slightly longer drives. I would prefer to not have to worry about the 3,000 miles and keep using at will, but I need to deal with the emmissions issue.

Oh, and for all those that said I should go to a private garage; my mechanic is my parent's neighbor, and a good friend. He takes it to a guy he trusts, and he inspects them. My vehicles haven't seen the inside of a DMV inspection station in years. The issue with that is that it's all computerized now. It all runs through a central database, and whatever the computer says, goes. I've had the guy (on the '84 Camaro) tweak the carb so much that there was just enough gas to run the motor, and get the emmissions down to acceptable levels. He then cranks it back up so I can actually drive the thing.

Like I said in the original post, the guy who did the inspection didn't tell me or my mechanic what was wrong, so it may be a bunch of little things, or one major thing. I have a funny feeling it was emissions. NJ are pretty ******* that end. However, they are hard all over. They will fail for all the obvious, but they were failing for worn tires, too much rust...anything.

If anyone out there has a car/truck more than ten years old, get ready to battle the NJDMV. Oh, and the inspection is good for ONE year, not two like I though previously.

Yardape

Reaction score
get another instrument panel, when it comes time to prove you under 3000 miles put in the original, the rest of the year use the replacement

broncobob58

Reaction score
I know inspection can be difficult, I live in Connecticut and we used to have ten year vehicle safety inspections and in the last 6 or 7 years they did away with it.It used to be pure **** to try to get something through inspection.Iv'e had so many cars that had to go through and friends as well.The inspectors hate body filler and if they suspected it they would hit it with something to see if it would break off and if it did they would fail it and require it to be welded,no rust holes in the body or underneath not even dime size.My girl friend had that problem on a 80 Malibu and cost $400 to fix a dime size hole in the rear floorpan above the frame rail and they even wanted a receipt.Cars that you thought would breeze through would come out with a list of things wrong.My father had a T-Bird and they checked the dash lights to see if everything worked.One friend had a 74 Cutlass with amber tape on the parking light lenses and they peeled it off and saw weather cracks and failed it ,it wasn't broken and had an amber bulb and this was a one year and model only parking light and could not find one in 1998.Another friend bought a 85 LTD cheap and spent many times more than the car was worth to get it through and he said he would never buy a car over ten years old again.A friend of mine had an 83 f-150 that they failed because the brake light on the dash did not come on when the parking brake was set,they didn't even have a switch on the parking brake for the trucks until like a year or so later.They would break your stones on stupid stuff but would overlook stuff like missing suspension and steering hardware,they got in trouble for this and they cracked down even harder.Some inspectors and stations were more leniant than others.They still do this for any vehicle bought out of state and 25 and older that aren't registered as a antique.New Jersey must really be nit picky for doors that don't lock and even a slipping tranny(I guess they figure you may not be able to get out of trouble quick enough if need be).I had a Torino that barely moved because of the tranny and passed for everything except the muffler and a fender.I could sit here all night and right a book on inspection stories of mine and others I heard.Thankefully my Bronco passed the tougher emmision test we have now with low readings,I was worried because I have over 140,000 on the original motor,I was surprised.You may be surprised with yours too.Well sorry for the long post.

OP
OP
P

PolarrrBearrr

Reaction score
Yardape, I had thought about that, but it could be a real pain in the **** to change that odometer in and out. (Though it is much easier on the Camaro...maybe that's the solution there...) at any rate, I'm a graphic/web designer and the thought had occured to me to just get a copy of the current sticker and recreate it over and over again on the computer. However, I think someone would catch up with me on that one quicker than I would like...

Stepping off this topic a second, I have three questions;

1. Does anyone remember seeing on here a forum regarding the building of a direct air intake using just the K&N air filter and a bunch of stuff from Home Depot? I remember reading the article, and can't remember if it was here or somewhere else...

2. While I know NJ isn't known for off-roading, does anyone know of a place to go in Eastern Central Jersey? I know I can go to Island Beach State Park, but I was looking for someplace with more...mud.

3. Do any of you NJ people know of any off-road clubs around here?

(I'm not really changing the subject, I just wanted to ask before I forgot... anymore suggestions for the inspection thing would be appreciated...)

Yardape

Reaction score
Its really not that hard, unless you are talking only the odometer, I am saying swap the whole instrument panel, Its really not that hard to do, The hardest part is unhooking the speedo cable for the first time, after that it comes apart super easy. Thats what I would do anyway. Just out of spite.

Big Country

Reaction score
i hate inspection posts! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> We don't have these problems in Texas. emissions...what's that, smog it up over here. global warming is a joke just look at teh winter we just had or are having...ok i'm done feel free to smite me now

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
P

PolarrrBearrr

Reaction score
yeah Big Country, I think I figured out the problem. The East coast was settled and developed first, so, since we've been destroying the air around here for longer than you guys, we are now attempting to fix said problem by making everyone buy new cars. From Japan. *retching noise*

Basically what that does is makes everyone who can't afford a new car move West.

I think it's why there are so many easterners in Arizona right now. Which may be the reason that Arizona now has mosquitoes.

No offense, or nothing Big. You would think though with the winds heading West to East, it would be England complaining about our smog...

In all honesty, I wish I could live out west. I mean, I do drive a horse. (and for those of you who are real cowboys, I actually found stirrups for yours...)

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.aspx/p...0/categoryid/25

swampthing

Reaction score
sorry to get off topic as well...but polarbear..i'm VP of a truck club in jersey around 15 minutes from philly...what way do you exactly want to run the direct air intake...and i know of good spots round here to wheel (mud)...hit me up on AIM if you got it..mudbogger0210 or feel free to sign up on my forum http://my4x4space.iforumer.com changing the instrument cluster is very simple...once you get it down pat it will take maybe 20 minutes to have them swapped out and everything put back together

OP
OP
P

PolarrrBearrr

Reaction score
Thanks Swampthing, I'll check you out when I get a chance...

I'm not sure what you mean but "way I want to run the air intake". I saw a blog someone did where they basically removed the existing air box, and replaced it with a K&N, but without using the kit. They got a binch of tubing and whatnot from Home Depot, then put it all together and bolted the filter to a spare hole somewhere on the driver's side, inside the engine bay. Hmm...I guess I'll have to look around a little, maybe I can find it... Like I said I thought it was here. I think they basically removed all the stock air box parts, and ran the two ********* hoses to the air filter using clothes dryer tubing or some similar product. There is a little hole in the opposite end of the filter itself, and they either built a quick brakcet or simply put a bolt through.

I'll take a look around. I guess I'll need to start looking for an instrument panel too...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23