new windshield wash reservoir leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chaindrive

Reaction score
replaced the reservoir with a new one but now the windshield wash side won't hold fluid.

there's a star washer that pushes against the pump assembly to hold it in place.

I've got it seated in as far as it will go but it's got a leak.

is there anything I can do to fix this before I seal the whole thing off with RTV?

if I do this i'll probably never get the pump out again.

any ideas?

thanks.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo C,

96 Bronco-F-Series Workshop Manual (PARTIAL)

http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stjleft.htm

Section 01-16: Wiper and Washer Systems

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stj1g012.htm

Installation

1.Make sure the chamber of windshield washer pump is free of foreign material prior to installing windshield washer pump into new windshield washer reservoir.

**** 2.Before installing the windshield washer pump, lubricate the outside diameter of the seal with a dry lubricant such as powdered graphite. This will prevent the seal from sticking to the wall of the windshield washer reservoir, making assembly easier. ***

*** 3.Align small projection on end cap of windshield washer pump with the slot in windshield washer reservoir.

4.Assemble windshield washer pump so seal seats against the bottom of the cavity. ***

5.Using a 25.4mm (1-inch) socket (preferably 12-point), hand-press retaining ring securely against end plate on windshield washer pump.

6.Connect headlamp dash panel junction wire (14290) and windshield washer hose.

7.Install windshield washer reservoir into vehicle as described in this section.

8.Fill windshield washer reservoir.

9. CAUTION: Do not operate windshield washer pump until fluid is added to the windshield washer reservoir.

Check washer system for proper operation.

10.Check for leaks and align the windshield washer nozzle jet and brackets (17603) if necessary.

Some use plumbers putty to seal aftermarket reservoirs.

Last resort is to remove the pump and the reservoir; hook it up to batty power and fill res. w/fluid. use the putty or selant of your choice and hook up an outlet hose; see if the putty stops the leak

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23