New Overhaul & First Time To Site!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bronc-N-bull

Reaction score
New to this site. I via google and I love it!!

I have an 89' Bronco w/ 302 auto. Leaks like the Exxon Valdez. I've decided to overhaul the engine, maybe give it a little more pep. It's my first time, so of course my questions may seem a bit green. Would anyone do anything to the transmission since I have the engine out? New seals, overhaul also?

Thanks,

-J

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't mess with the tranny unless it too was leaking or you have some slippage or high mileage, due to the cost of an overhaul/rebuild, especially the overdrive units like the E4OD or AOD. Change the transmission mounts if they are worn, because the "new-found" power of the motor will try to twist them out. Take a look at the transfer case, too. Think about rebuiding it if you have any leaks or problems shifting.

Welcome to the BroncoZone, you'll find a few experts to help you in the build-up of the 302. And I know the "Exxon Valdez Syndrome" all too well. My 351W was that way, and that's AFTER the new longblock was installed by a shop!!! It had half a dozen oil leaks :angry:

Gunner

Reaction score
also it depends how much extra pep you plan on putting in the engine if you want serious power from that motor than you may want a stronger torque converter. just to handle that extra power. i cant remember what is in the stock tranny but a 3500 stall is good for some serious upgrades.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23