New Guy to Forum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anthony in PA

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to this forum. I have a 1995 Bronco XLT with the 5.8L. It's got a Ford 8.8" rear, a Borg/Warner 1356 Transfer case mounted to an automatic tranny. I've been hearing a whirring-whining sound for a few weeks now, and it's gotten progressively worse. It's pretty loud now. I thought it may have been the pumpkin, so I replaced the gear oil (since it has 146K miles on it and I don't think it was ever replaced) Anyway, the gears looked good, and there were no metal filings, etc in the old oil. I replaced it with a synthetic gear oil. When I had it jacked up, the right wheel had a lot of play in it and didn't roll so smooth when I turned the wheel manually, so I think the bearings are going. Pulling on the wheel had about a 1/4 inch of play too. (Approximately) I'm nervous about driving it now because if the bearings disintigrate and seize, it will most likely destroy the axle and the wheel will fall off. :unsure: It's my daily driver, so I'm going to have to do some logistics about getting it to the shop and finding another way to work. The axle bearings (because the Bronco doesn't have rear "wheel bearings") are a job for the machine shop. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> The old bearings have to be literally broken off and the new ones have to be pressed on. I don't have the tools nor a press. Has anyone here ever had to have the rear axle bearings replaced in their late model Bronco? If so, how much did it cost, or if there any mechanics here, can you give me an idea? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! - Anthony in PA

Seabronc

Reaction score
Welcome to the Zone > . Saw your other post on the bearings and will let the replies go to it. Post some pictures when you get a chance we'd like to :-B at them.

Good luck,

:)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23