Need More Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Just a few suggestions.

1. Get a real tune up or do it yourself .

2. If your Bronco has a carb, you might consider a rebuild. there is no real rocket science here. a carb rebuild is relatively simple. Cleaning the whole thing by soaking the parts in a cold emersion carb cleaner and blowing out all passages. Then replacing the diaphrams, gaskets and parts (supplied in a carb rebuild kit).

A little more detail on your Bronco might allow some better suggestions.

Good luck,

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"
Reaction score
Not a whole lot. Your EEC is controlled by SPEED DENSITY, which means that your engine's volume is preprogramed and set in your computer. Any changes to your engines volume will only confuse the computer.

I have heard of Guys swapping a Ford Lighting Cam into a 5.0 w/ noticable gains. Definately, Headers, and true dual exhaust w/high flow cats( let's keep the enviroment clean) will help. The biggest gain I have gotten was from a true cold air kit. Get some air into that engine, a 1"x3" hole hidden under the hood is not enough air for your engine. Maybe a custom chip, but none of these upgrades are under $200.

Much more than this, and you will need to convert to MASS AIR which requires a donor Mustang('88-'93), and some rewiring. There are some kits out there, but the ones I have seen still require you rob parts from a Mustang.

You will get more tips here that may help. GOOD LUCK

404PageNotFound

Reaction score
for cheap money, there is'nt much you can really do

spend 50 or so on a K&N filter.. this will add a few HP and save you money in the long run (at $10-$30 or so a pop air filters for the life of your truck)

word on the street is that those Tornado Air things improve power slightly... i dont know if it's worth 65 bucks but hey... you never know

full tune up, fuel system cleaner (either chevron techron or the 3M stuff, nothing less), a "cheap" performance exhaust setup.. around 215 bucks or so from bigexhaust.com or other similar sites you can grab a low-end pacesetter or something.

you might see some slight increases with those engine restore additives maybe.

or if you add up all the money you'll spend on this and just save a little more, you could just locate a slightly fresher motor if you look in the right places.

Gunner

Reaction score
i always love this topic no matter how many times it is posted. all these ideas are great but will end up adding up to a good deal of money if you do it all seperately. now anyone on here that knows my suggestion here it is again. save yourself about $2500 and get your self a supercharger. it is a one time cost that is really reasonable for the power gain that you see. because it isnt about horse power. horse power sells cars it is torque that wins races. and the suercharger provides alot of both.

D

d matlock

gues i should have been more specific.motor was rebuilt 7000 miles ago,right before i bought bronco as well as tranny. i live in the mountains (CA) but bought it off a flatlander where it seemed to be strong, but in the hills it sucks.50 mph up the hill,geo metros passing me for christ sake.Anyhow,has headers to single flowmaster,no converter,k&n and thats about it.355 gears with 32 tires is a big part of problem,i know.hoped i could overcome this with a chip or something.reason being i still have to go to that valley to work and it cruises nice with current set up. how can i have my cake and eat it too?

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"
Reaction score
This is an area that sucks! Your truck is starving for Oxygen @ high altitude. I had the same problem when I went to see my mom in Tennessee... I could only go 50 up Mont Eagle.

Your timing has a lot to do with it, but you can only set inital timing. your computer controls advance, and ******.

If this is the only problem you want to fix.....Call JDM engineering "www.teamjdm.com". They can burn you a dual mode chip, just flip a switch when you go to the valley...flip it back when you go home.

Be prepared to answer a ton of questions, because this chip will be custom taylored to YOUR application. This will still run you from$250-$400.

brenden84

Reaction score
i havnt really noticed an improvment with my K&N. maybe in the gas milage. i need a new cat tho, only one of the two has been replaced

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat