Need A Diagram Of A Rear Diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redneckpunk

Reaction score
help i need a diagram of how to rebuild a rear diff for a 1986 ford bronco.

The problem i am having is the rear driveshafts chatters .When inspecting it the

yolk has a lot of slop. Is there a bearing in there.And do i need to take the whole carrier out to replace the bearing or can i just tighten it when i remove the driveshaft?

86_bronco.JPG

Txquadhunter

Reaction score
there is a bearing and crush sleeve in there, gotta be careful if ya just try tighting it. which rear do you have? the 8.8 was most comman in 86 but the 9" could still be had.

OP
OP
redneckpunk

redneckpunk

Reaction score
how would i go about telling witch rear diff it is ?

can you tell by the code on the door display sticker

the axle code on the sticker is a 19

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Looks like a Ford 8.8" w/ 3.55 gears. I found a good diagram one time on a site called the "Ranger Station", try a search.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Your drive shaft may also be a problem. If the carden joints freeze up from lack of lubrication they can cause problems with your differential. according to my book, an axle code of 19 is a non-locking 3.55 gear ratio. I would pull the drive shaft and check the condition of those joints or you may be fixing the problem but not the possible cause. I can probably scan in an exploded view of the rear end if you need it. You will also need some special tools to do the job. You might consider having a shop do it for you as improperl adjustment will cause it to fail again. Having the time, I could probably xerox the entire step by step. :)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23