More power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
I have a 96 Bronco with a 5.0. It has a cold air intake and magnaflow exhaust. What else can I do (within a budget) to get more power.

I don't want to get into the internals of the engine, so what is worth the investment? Power chip? TB spacer? ignition upgrade?

What has worked for most of you?

bronco410w

Reaction score
with out getting into the internals , there isnt relly anything much more you can do to relly feel a power diffence.... you can go with a supercharger ... nice lil vortech or paxton or powerdyne.... or even a lil nitrous shot!

get a nice set of heads " brodix, trickflow, afr, holly, edelbrock" and a cam you'll pick up 30-70hp easly... posibly more!

shift1313

Reaction score
what are you doing with the truck? what tranny is behind it? stock gearing in the axles?

crazyhorse85

Reaction score
Most all of what you listed will help...without getting into the motor and making some bigger upgrades your kinda limited on what you can do...But every little bit helps...you might consider a bigger thottle body to get more air in with that cold air intake...powerchip...they help you wont get big gains but you'll get better thottle response and little better topend power....msd 6al ignition upgrade would be good... B)

wileec

Reaction score
What is a cold air intake on our trucks? All the kits I see look like they pull in hot air from under the hood. I like my stock box and a K&N filter, on the road it gets its air from the front of the truck. This did wonders for me both millage and a little more power, only about 100-150 in parts.

Last edited by a moderator:

the green monster

Reaction score
If you have the size budget i have which is close to none what you could look at doing is a throttle body spacer, I have an airaid for about $100 and im getting a jet chip for $260. I already have cold air, headers and glasspacks and i am fairly impressed with the power. I can still smoke tuners at the stop lights, lol. After I buy the chip im going to be done modding my 351 until it blows so I can get that 460 ive been dreamin of

OP
OP
Rons beast

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
what are you doing with the truck? what tranny is behind it? stock gearing in the axles?
The truck is a daily driver and pulls my boat and utility trailer. It get highway and around town driving, has stock gearing with an auto/od tranny.

I'm really looking for more power to get on the freeways and pass the slow ***es on the road.

shift1313

Reaction score
well small budget parts are going to yield small gains. Things like tb spacer will help with torque, larger tb will help with HP, ignition system will help all around. One thing that may be overlooked is under driving your accessories. Im sure there are tons of pulleys out there for your truck.

There are also things you can do for free like adjust your timing which can make a big difference. Cam timing(not sure if there are different gear sets) can make a big difference as well. Im sure pre-emissions 5.0 timing was a lot more advanced.

BB33's

Reaction score
The mods I have made to my 5.8 are a Magnaflow and a drop in K&N. For the Ignition I did the MSD 6A ignition and the coil cap rotor and wires. Plugs are Autolite single plats. I get 14 mpg and Tons of throttle response. I have 32's and if I stomp the pedal at a light they spin easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj