More Flex

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89eddie89

Reaction score
Ok so I am running 35s on a 4" lift. I can flex all the way into my wheel well, but it isnt very much.

What ways can i get more flex??

(besides a body lift or smaller tires haha)

Broncobill78

Reaction score
This is one of those deals where you just aren't going to have a lot of options & there simply *aren't* any cheap/easy fixes. If you want more "flex" and by that I assumue you're looking for more axle articulation or travel. You can go to a 6" lift and that will give you more suspension travel. You can keep the existing height and switch to a spring with a lower springrate, it won't be as stiff and it will allow for more travel but you'll need stronger shocks to control the bounce & rebound. With a setup like that you may find yourself looking into bumpstops & limiting straps to keep the tires from hitting the upper wheelwell and also from dropping too far down when in the air or unsupported. Regardless of what route you choose there really isn't anything you can do that won't involve replacing the springs. I didn't think to ask earlier but if you're running the stock front & rear swaybars you'll need to either get the quick-disconnect droplinks or remove them completely. I know a lot of guys just pull them off & report no difference in handling but that's what you'd expect to see in aproperly setup truck. The swaybars don't do a lot until the suspension starts to max out, and of course that's when you need them most. Having seen & investigated a lot of accidents I'm a big fan of keeping stuff like that on the truck when it's driven on the road, the swaybars come into play when you & your suspension need them most. Off-road is a whole different story and I understand the need to disconnect them and that's why the quick-disconnects are available in the first place

OP
OP

89eddie89

Reaction score
Thank you Bill

Quick Discos is what I had in mind.. I was seeing if there were any other options I had.

But how much do you think they will cost me??

Broncobill78

Reaction score
They should run somewhere around $100 if you buy a set. I can't find a photo right now but I've fabricated my own a couple of times. It's not hard to do & they should look something like this.

disconnect.gif

OP
OP

89eddie89

Reaction score
That sounds and looks like a good idea. Im gonna look further into it and give it some thought.

That may be what I end up doing.

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
One think i just wanted too add if that if you take the sway bars off, itll still drive good but there is a little differance. Also im not sure how a rear sway bar disconnect works but if your maxin out your truck alot you might wanna just takem off cuz i bent my trailin arm on my truck which is why it no longer has sway bars. But with them off on the highway all the stuff they tell you about not jerking your truck is even more important, because the truck will feel a little more top heavy.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
So when your driving about 40-45 mph can you feel a difference??
It really doesn't matter *what* the speed is but it does get worse the faster you're traveling. What he's saying (and correct me if I'm wrong, but I've run a couple trucks this way too and didn't much like the feeling) is that on the hwy if you make an abrupt lane change or swerve the truck for any reason you WILL feel the body roll significantly more than it used to and any sort of sudden evasive manuver is more likely to land you either paint-side down or on the wrong side of the road (the side without any pavement). You never really feel the sway bars kick in until the truck is at the upper end of the body-roll thing and without them you're just flat out more likely to put it on it's side by suddenly jerking the wheel or trying to agressively evade something. Once you FEEL a couple of wheels leave the road at highway speeds sway-bars seem like a *much* better idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
Yup thats what i meant, driving in the city you wont really know there off unless your drivin like a maniac and hittin turns real hard(which you shouldnt do in a 4x4 because its not a trans am itsa truck). But yea on the highway with no sway bars DONT **** the wheel to try to avoid something if you have to avoid something just get on the brakes(dont slam them) and turn the wheel, plus you should any truck like some trucks older trucks dont even have sway bars from the factory

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Well, anyone who's ever seen that old Suzuki Sameuri footage that Consumer Reports shot should know this without being told. These are NOT 6000lb sports cars and shouldn't be treated as such. Fact is that you rarely *need* the sway-bars but when you DO need them you REALLY need them and they should be there. That's why companies offer disconnect kits so that you can disconnect them off-road but still have them ON-road when they're most needed and most helpfull.

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
Yea i think trucks got a rep for roll overs because they didn all used to have sway bars, my buddy that i got my Tcase from has an 81 F150 with no sway bars or mounts for them front or rear, i also saw a 94 F150 like that and other 80s and 70s Dodges and Chevys that didn have mounts for them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23