Locked keys in truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dragon34x

Reaction score
Like the title says. . . i sorta locked the keys in the car while finishing up working on the truck. (my only set of keys)

Does anyone know how to open the doors without having to break a window?

bluesman17

Spam Terminator
Reaction score
If you have a small town you could ask a cop, most carry a slim jim to help out in these situations. Some cops will give the response of calling a locksmith though.

OP
OP
D

Dragon34x

Reaction score
yea, they all do here :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Well looks like ima have to break a window. . . .wonder which one :angry:

firelt90bronco

Ask me about my job
Reaction score
Just take a coat hanger, slip it betwwen the door and the truck at the top (be careful of weather stripping) and hit the unlock button with the end of the coat hanger.

OP
OP
D

Dragon34x

Reaction score
I would have done that but the truck had most of the electrical ripped out. . . .no power locks :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> So. . . . I had no choice but to do this :

Last edited by a moderator:

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire
Reaction score
Why would you bust a rear window, when the wing window is right there? Too bad you were so impatient. I could have shown you how to get in, with just the hold-down bracket from a brake master cylinder, and cause no damage to the truck

Well, if you need it, I've got a rear window, I can sell you

OP
OP
D

Dragon34x

Reaction score
I had no choice, i needed to get to work. Sadly i have both car keys on one key ring. . . .i know now that that is a bad idea :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

As for the rear window, im just gunna buy that thick plastic that jeeps use for my replacement of the rear window (window never rolled down either. . . .so everytime i needed to open the rear door i had to lift the rear hatch up. I'll eventually replace it, but not in my plans for now. (im practically rebuilding this car)

But for future refrence. . . .how would you go about unlocking the wing window when its locked from the inside?

davids78bronco

Reaction score
Assuming you wouldn't be able to open your hood (because the doors are locked, preventing you from reaching the hood release) find a neighbor with an old car, or pickup, and ask to borrow their brake master cylinder hold-down bracket. After you explain that it's gain access to your truck, proceed to your driver side wing window. Slide one end of the bracket, under the wing window. use the bracket to hold in the lock button, while turning the latch. It takes a bit of practice, but in a few minutes, access granted. I've done this 4 times now, and always had gotten a surprised look from the person who locked their keys in their trucks

I have pictures, somewhere ...

*edit - if you have that much problem with the tailgate, I have one, of two, that I can sell you

Big Country

Reaction score
i usually just push the wong woindow over and over adn eventually it comes free it slowly moves the part that keeps the window closed off and it opens.

OP
OP
D

Dragon34x

Reaction score
Thanks for the break-into-car tip lol

As for the the tailgate, the only problem with it is that the keys do not unlock the lock. Other then that, there isnt any damage to the tailgate itself. After i get all this glass cleaned up, im gunna open up the access panel and hopefully unlock it from the inside.

Yardape

Reaction score
Wow the rarest most expensive window would not have been my first choice...

davids78bronco

Reaction score
I hope you do better than I do, then... I've been trying to sell my tailgates for months

OP
OP
D

Dragon34x

Reaction score
yeah I know my jaw dropped when I saw that. I plan on selling my tailgate for a chunk of change after I put the soft top on.
trust me, my jaw dropped to after just pushing on it lightly at the top of the windshield (it was about 2 inches open from the top). My intent was to push up the hatch but as you have seen for yourself. . . .window go boom :unsure:

Now that you mention the soft top, where can i find one of these?

Broncosaurus!

Reaction score
I'm putting in a roll bar just behind where the rear passengers heads are and just getting one piece of canvas made with buttons/snaps all around, the roll bar will give it structure and keep it off the heads of my rear seat people and then it will taper down to button along the top of the tailgate. All snaps no zippers, maybe a clear panel in the middle to see out of. sort of like this one, but the bar will keep it from going straight down at one angle.

bronco.jpg

SLICKS92BRONCO

Reaction score
Like the title says. . . i sorta locked the keys in the car while finishing up working on the truck. (my only set of keys)
Does anyone know how to open the doors without having to break a window?
I actually locked my keys in my truck a few days ago this isnt the first time. I hope you have the vent window, I use a butter knife and a coat hanger. I bend the knife at a 90 degree angle and slide it in through the weatherstripping to push the button on the vent window handle and use the hanger to pull the handle. Ive gotten pretty good at opening the window this way. Good luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23