Location of ABS module for 1989 Ford Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimgad

Reaction score
Hello all
I need to replace the ABS module for my 1989 Ford Bronco. I went to a ford dealership with an ABS light issue. I had already replaced the sensor on the rear diff and light stayed on. The mechanic said the module was bad and had pulled it out and left on floor for me. With the module removed, the light went out. They didnt replace it because they could not find a part. I now have found one on Rockauto.com and they will not install for me because they dont install parts people bring in. ugghh

This is the one I found
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...951,brake+&+wheel+hub,abs+control+module,1844

I dont know where it goes, and according to google I have been down a rabbit hole of may spots (on the frame, behind gas pedal, somewhere behind glove box, etc)
Anyone have a diagram or pictures they can share to help show me where?

Can you just plug them in or do you really need to bleed the brake lines?
Appreciate any and all advice. Thank you

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
You can just plug it in. No problem.

Do it with the key off.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Jim,
RABS Wiring Diagram in 87-89 Bronco & F series (Mitchell)
Source: by equivalent (Beetlejuice) at SuperMotors.net

Incorrect (RABS I) Electronic Control Unit Installed TSB 93-17-9 in 87-92 Bronco, 87-93 F-150-350 SERIES, 89-93 Ranger, 90-93 Aerostar & Econoline, 91-92 Explorer, 87-90 Bronco II
This page is unavailable for archiving. The server returned code:
because access is forbidden
Click here to search for all archived pages under http://www.justanswer.com/questions/.

OP
OP
jimgad

jimgad

Reaction score
So I did find it, had engine off, plugged in, and now I have my ABS light back on again.
The sensor on the rear diff is already new, and I am scratching my head ha ha

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Hey jimgad
The best idea would be to check codes in the RABS module. To do this, find the test connector. It is a single wire plug under the dash, (usually on the crossbar under the glovebox.) It will have a red wire on one side and a black/orange on the other. When you find it, unplug it and ground the blk/orange wire then turn the key on. The abs light will flash the codes. Each code will end with a long flash (be sure to include the long flash in the code when counting.)
Once you get a code or codes, post them and we will see if we can figure it out.
Hope that helps.
Cheers

Reaction score
Just because the abs light is in dose not mean you don,t have brakes just no abs brakes. take the bulb out

OP
OP
jimgad

jimgad

Reaction score
Just because the abs light is in dose not mean you don,t have brakes just no abs brakes. take the bulb out
Actually, the first time the bulb was on - after I replaced the sensor, I took to a Ford Dealership.
They removed the ABS module and light went out.
The diagnosis was a bad module, so I replaced it.
The mechanic told me Rear ABS added no value and I should just go without.
At the same time they had it, they replaced all brakes.
Ever since then my brakes work - but super super touchy. I lock up on dry pavement when barely moving, so I suspected because no ABS module to help "regulate" things, it was causing them to lock up all the time.

So that is why I am trying to fix aside from just not seeing the annoying light :)

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Actually, the first time the bulb was on - after I replaced the sensor, I took to a Ford Dealership.
They removed the ABS module and light went out.
The diagnosis was a bad module, so I replaced it.
The mechanic told me Rear ABS added no value and I should just go without.
At the same time they had it, they replaced all brakes.
Ever since then my brakes work - but super super touchy. I lock up on dry pavement when barely moving, so I suspected because no ABS module to help "regulate" things, it was causing them to lock up all the time.

So that is why I am trying to fix aside from just not seeing the annoying light :)
RABS is a very early rudimentary antilock system for rear brakes only, and it can only activate 3-4 times per event. It lowers the brake pressure slightly to the rear when it anticipates lock up. It can’t make the brakes over sensitive or “grabby”
It sounds like you have a foundation brake issue.
The RABS module turns on the warning light directly on those, so its natural that the light would go out when the module was disconnected.
For the brakes, I would look at the rears and make sure they put the shoes on correctly. The short primary shoes should be on the front of the assembly and the long secondary shoes on the rear. Also look for an axle seal leaking. (Oil on a brake shoe makes them lock up like crazy)
You also have an ABS issue causing the light. (It is often the valve, but it should be diagnosed properly)
The RANS system really doesnt do much as far as ABS systems go an you shouldn’t notice that it doesnt work unless you are in a panic stop.
Id leave the module unplugged so the light stays off and get the foundation brakes fixed.
Cheers

Blueblooded

Reaction score
RABS is a very early rudimentary antilock system for rear brakes only, and it can only activate 3-4 times per event. It lowers the brake pressure slightly to the rear when it anticipates lock up. It can’t make the brakes over sensitive or “grabby”
It sounds like you have a foundation brake issue.
The RABS module turns on the warning light directly on those, so its natural that the light would go out when the module was disconnected.
For the brakes, I would look at the rears and make sure they put the shoes on correctly. The short primary shoes should be on the front of the assembly and the long secondary shoes on the rear. Also look for an axle seal leaking. (Oil on a brake shoe makes them lock up like crazy)
You also have an ABS issue causing the light. (It is often the valve, but it should be diagnosed properly)
The RANS system really doesnt do much as far as ABS systems go an you shouldn’t notice that it doesnt work unless you are in a panic stop.
Id leave the module unplugged so the light stays off and get the foundation brakes fixed.
Cheers
on my 87 it is on the drivers side on the front tucked under the frame. I removed mine and ran a new brake line connected to the existing brake line and caped the the wiring. works fine without the ABS

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
68bronc