JSM84 - Axel Pivot Bushing Replacement Tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

psalm119

Reaction score
Hello,

A while back I remember seeing some posts (August of 2004) regarding how to replace axel pivot bushings and a link with photos and a description of how to make an "equivalent" replacement tool. We are hoping to begin our apb replacement today on my '80 Bronco and I've dug around the site and your posts but I can't find those links again.

Could I trouble you to repost your description of how you built your equivalent apb replacement tool and the photos of the replacement? That was you, wasn't it or am I getting you mixed up with drcarter?

Anywise, I just want to thank you for being willing to share your incredible amount of Bronco knowledge with everyone here. It's a huge help.

Luanne :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Yes, the pics and descriptions are at superford.org You can get there from the link in my profile, or go to Miesk5 Homepage. I'll see if I can find the original post, too. IF not, I will re-post it as soon as my new computer arrives later this week. Having problems posting with this current dinosaur, JSM84

Justbust1n

Reaction score

Justshootme84

Reaction score
The factory apb can wear out in 5-10 years. Both were shot on my 84, and they were the originals at 20 years old!!! I replaced mine with poly-urethane bushings, and they should last 10+ years. THe OEM ruber units are about $18/ea, and the poly's a bit more but worth the few extra bucks. They are a PITA to remove, since they are pressed into the axle beams. A ball joint press will also work to pop them out and back in, I just made my own out of some piece of pipe and All-thread rod. JSM84

Justshootme84

Reaction score
what r the usual signs of a bushing going out , how can you tell??
A "popping" noise from the front end when you turn or go over a bump, looseness/play in the front suspension. If you install a lift kit on the Bronco, that is the time to change these bushings, too. JSM84

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK