Intro

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdabnabe

Reaction score
Thank you for the add. My name is Danny and I have owned my Bronco since 2011. It sat around with a broken rear end since 2014 ( thanks to my little brother) though. Long story short, I returned in 2015 and have been tinkering on it since then. Just got it back on the road this month. I had plans to lift it and lots of modifications but since it is an Eddie Bauer and is completely stock I have decided to just leave it that way. I even have the roll up cargo area cover for it.

Anyway, thanks again for the add.

paul rondelli

Reaction score
You sir are one of the few well informed owners.

I own both a 1993 and a 1996. I modified the 1993 to include 6 inch lift, re -geared, Full locker, .... and she is a beast ... that is lucky to get 9 mpg

My 1996 I left totally stock. When you look at what is selling ... my stock 1996 is worth more than the modified 1993. Talk about throwing 10,000 in modifications away!!!

Back when you bought her ( for probably for less than 5,000) all everyone wanted to do was make them into monster off road toys. They are more than capable to get through some nasty stuff ..... and with a little ground clearance and tires ... they can get through just about anything.

If that is what you are looking for ... then buy a 4x4 short bed F150 in the same year as the Bronco for around $3,000. modify the **** out of it.... and smash it into trees and bury it in mud pits.

The F150 will not triple in value like the Bronco.

I have heard so many stories about how a guy bought a gen 1 Bronco and off roaded the **** out of it .... until it was destined for the scrap yard. Only to find out now that the same gen 1 Bronco goes for $30,000.

My 1996 is a 5.0l and has the manual transmission. If your not happy with the amount of power she currently has ... then change to a stick. The 5.0l only gets good power after about 3,000 rpm's. The automatic transmissions are not built to allow them to really over rev ... and most think the Bronco are dogs with 5.0l.

With a stick shift I can absolutely roast the tires .... and with 5 gears she cruises 85mpg without any problems. I actually got a super speeder ticket for going 70 mph in a 45 mph zone. I told the cop that I was going to frame the ticket ... because the Bronco is older than he was ... and can still haul ass.

I also get 15mpg all day long ... as long as I don't roast the tires.... and act like an ass.

OP
OP
jdabnabe

jdabnabe

Reaction score
You sir are one of the few well informed owners.

I own both a 1993 and a 1996. I modified the 1993 to include 6 inch lift, re -geared, Full locker, .... and she is a beast ... that is lucky to get 9 mpg

My 1996 I left totally stock. When you look at what is selling ... my stock 1996 is worth more than the modified 1993. Talk about throwing 10,000 in modifications away!!!

Back when you bought her ( for probably for less than 5,000) all everyone wanted to do was make them into monster off road toys. They are more than capable to get through some nasty stuff ..... and with a little ground clearance and tires ... they can get through just about anything.

If that is what you are looking for ... then buy a 4x4 short bed F150 in the same year as the Bronco for around $3,000. modify the **** out of it.... and smash it into trees and bury it in mud pits.

The F150 will not triple in value like the Bronco.

I have heard so many stories about how a guy bought a gen 1 Bronco and off roaded the **** out of it .... until it was destined for the scrap yard. Only to find out now that the same gen 1 Bronco goes for $30,000.

My 1996 is a 5.0l and has the manual transmission. If your not happy with the amount of power she currently has ... then change to a stick. The 5.0l only gets good power after about 3,000 rpm's. The automatic transmissions are not built to allow them to really over rev ... and most think the Bronco are dogs with 5.0l.

With a stick shift I can absolutely roast the tires .... and with 5 gears she cruises 85mpg without any problems. I actually got a super speeder ticket for going 70 mph in a 45 mph zone. I told the cop that I was going to frame the ticket ... because the Bronco is older than he was ... and can still haul ass.

I also get 15mpg all day long ... as long as I don't roast the tires.... and act like an ass.
I actually got my Bronco as payment for re-wiring a guys S10 Blazer. I have about $4,000 in it now between, rear end, fuel system, brakes, tires, tune up, weather strip, windshield and interior refresh. I have to admit that if it wasn’t an Eddie Bauer it would have snow balled into a money pit. It does need body work and paint. Right now the hood and roof are pretty well sun burnt.

OP
OP
jdabnabe

jdabnabe

Reaction score
A few more pics of my Bronco

18C3E1B1-C94D-4CA3-8FB3-42E1F1F8753E.jpeg

Attachments

• 57E9E83D-CAA5-4D5E-A199-FFF44E25EB3A.jpeg
    57E9E83D-CAA5-4D5E-A199-FFF44E25EB3A.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 2
  • A54933D9-7881-416E-9280-1FF5CF98FF65.jpeg
    A54933D9-7881-416E-9280-1FF5CF98FF65.jpeg
    301.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 533DA826-59AD-48EF-AF46-E320CAA04121.jpeg
    533DA826-59AD-48EF-AF46-E320CAA04121.jpeg
    398.1 KB · Views: 2
  • A49BC150-6CC4-4AF1-B8E0-14BC886969DB.jpeg
    A49BC150-6CC4-4AF1-B8E0-14BC886969DB.jpeg
    329.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 33E92BA7-2D35-4D05-817E-021AD06160D9.jpeg
    33E92BA7-2D35-4D05-817E-021AD06160D9.jpeg
    420 KB · Views: 2
  • 7F8ADBEC-BCE9-43A3-B82A-DC2FC7AA8C09.jpeg
    7F8ADBEC-BCE9-43A3-B82A-DC2FC7AA8C09.jpeg
    526.1 KB · Views: 2

paul rondelli

Reaction score
I see you retired out of the service. I was stationed at Camp Lejeune around 1987 until 1990 with the 10th Marines. We used to do training and live fire the 198mm out at Fort Bragg...... down some crazy dirt road.. I think they called it "chicken road"?

Also did some cold weather training up at Ft McCoy Wisconsin .... That is one very cold place ... I think it got down to -60 with the wind chill. All we did was leave the Humvees running 24/7 and set around and drink Old style beer and watch videos

Never sell that Bronco ... I another 20 years it will be worth 50,000

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Thank you for the add. My name is Danny and I have owned my Bronco since 2011. It sat around with a broken rear end since 2014 ( thanks to my little brother) though. Long story short, I returned in 2015 and have been tinkering on it since then. Just got it back on the road this month. I had plans to lift it and lots of modifications but since it is an Eddie Bauer and is completely stock I have decided to just leave it that way. I even have the roll up cargo area cover for it.

Anyway, thanks again for the add.
Welcome to broncozone, Your Eddie Bauer sounds awesome, and Paul is absolutely correct, Bronco values are only going up! Nice to hear you are able to keep it stock. So many have been neglected to the point that its cheaper and easier to do mods than stock repairs.
Good for you!
Cheers

OP
OP
jdabnabe

jdabnabe

Reaction score
I see you retired out of the service. I was stationed at Camp Lejeune around 1987 until 1990 with the 10th Marines. We used to do training and live fire the 198mm out at Fort Bragg...... down some crazy dirt road.. I think they called it "chicken road"?

Also did some cold weather training up at Ft McCoy Wisconsin .... That is one very cold place ... I think it got down to -60 with the wind chill. All we did was leave the Humvees running 24/7 and set around and drink Old style beer and watch videos

Never sell that Bronco ... I another 20 years it will be worth 50,000
I spent 18 years at Bragg and you could bet that every August when the Marines would come to town every picture in my house was crooked from the near constant battery. It was Chicken Road and I lived about a stones throw from Ste Mere Eglise DZ.

I never got to go to Ft McCoy for cold weather training. My unit went for the last time the year before I was assigned there. One of my last units was planning a Norwegian cold weather training trip but alas I PCSd back to Bragg the summer before that. All of my cold weather trying consisted of field time in Colorado, Korea and Germany. Nothing formal just normal field stuff. I did get to finally jump in the snow though.

i plan on keeping the Bronco. I have an F350 and three Mustangs too that I don’t plan on getting rid of. My wife does not agree…

Last edited:
OP
OP
jdabnabe

jdabnabe

Reaction score
Welcome to broncozone, Your Eddie Bauer sounds awesome, and Paul is absolutely correct, Bronco values are only going up! Nice to hear you are able to keep it stock. So many have been neglected to the point that its cheaper and easier to do mods than stock repairs.
Good for you!
Cheers
Thank you. Other than the paint it’s in pretty good shape. Stock exhaust manifolds, cats, and muffler. About the only “modifications” are the blue Ford Racing wires, blue distributor cap and Accel coil. I was playing around with replacing the valve covers, doing a roller rocker conversion and maybe swapping the intake and deleting the smog pump and EGR but surprisingly all of that works. The only lights are the ABS and Air Bag. Anyway, the only thing not stock in the interior is the radio.

Motech

Reaction score

So true. BUT...

The first gen series--especially the 66-69 model years--seems totally impervious to value loss with mods. Many seem to add more value even, especially if upgraded to 9" rear end, Dana 44 front, 4 or 5 speed gearbox, or even automatic. Add reasonable--and well done--lifts, bigger wheels/tires, roll cages, horsepower, etc. and these well-sorted units are commanding just as much, and sometimes more than the untouched, spindly stockers.

Example: Pete's great aunt gifted him his dead uncle's basically stock, very well cared for and damn good looking 1967 Bronco with original 170 cid six and three on the tree. Pete is not a gearhead, but he is an opportunist, and the current Bronco market is no secret to him. So he cleans it up, paints the wheels, spoons on some new rubber, buys a set of retro hubcaps, waxes up that trendy patina, registers it and all told, has less than two grand out-of-pocket.

Pete puts it on the market for a cool $89,000.00.

1660878403443.png

Meanwhile, a county over is Paul. He too inherited a very similar 1967 model from his pops. Dad was a gearhead, and this was a long-term project. He had already converted to a 302 V8 with an NP435 4 speed, and to make that swap easier, Pops had done a modest 2" body lift. In back of garage sat prepped and install-ready a 9" rear diff and Dana 44 front fitted with 4.11:1 gears, and heavier rear leaf springs that he did not get around to installing.

Paul did, plus another 2.5" chassis lift and all the right steering and suspension bits to make it cherry. He added a Wildwood hydro-boost power brake setup to enhance his upgraded front discs, a four barrel carburetor and full-length headers, did a frame-off body refresh, two-tone leather seating and various trim crribbed from a King Ranch F150, new wheels, tires, a family-sized roll cage complete with upgraded safety gear, painted it in a period-correct hue with some deep candied pearl and achieved his goal: A classic daily driver that can face any off-road challenge while still looking more stock that modded.

1660879212034.png

But sadly, Cult Covidian killed his business and his savings, and he was a breath away from mortgage default, so this labor of love went on the market too with an asking price of $109,000.

So if you're one of the wealthy New-Normies who can afford collector cars, and you see these two choices in front of you, which one are YOU going to pay asking for?

I do love that about Gen 1 Bronco. Their prices command the value of the love put into.

Motech

Reaction score
And hey, welcome Danny @jdabnabe . Did not mean to sidetrack your intro, and if you can dismiss my rudeness, you are set to get a ton of good stuff from the knowledgeable and generous folks on this forum.

Jimbo26

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. I'm certain that you'll find this form Very useful, just overlook us average lunatics as much as possible. 🍺

OP
OP
jdabnabe

jdabnabe

Reaction score
And hey, welcome Danny @jdabnabe . Did not mean to sidetrack your intro, and if you can dismiss my rudeness, you are set to get a ton of good stuff from the knowledgeable and generous folks on this forum.

No issue, I’m guilty of the modification bug too. I have a 97 Cobra that have about $20,000 in modifications and an 03 Cobra that is bone stock.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Let's hear it for horse 🐎 ranching! 🍺
Ha Ha Ha
(Horse ranching!)
I love it!
Guilty as well,
I have 2 Broncos (79's) and 2 mustangs, (69 rag and 2010 GT rag)
(The Bronco is my resto mod)
Grew up on a dairy farm, not a fan of the hairy kind, but, can't get enough of the 4 wheeled ones!
Its hard not to accumulate them when they are so awesome!
Cheers

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom