internal Voltage regulator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Krafty

Reaction score
Howdy folks, on the way home from work tonight I noticed my alternator was holding my battery at around 11-12 volts instead of the normal 13-14, it doesn't drain like when my alt on the bronco went completely it just holds a steady 11 or 12 volts, anywho this is the replacement alt i put on my truck in the spring from the wrecker, and I was wondering if its possible to just change the internal voltage regulator instead of the whole thing for $200 new or $60 from the wrecker.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Yes, it is an easy job to replace it, about a 20 - 30 minute job. You should be able to get it from a local auto supply. If not I believe JBG, LMC Truck and FFI http://www.rjminjectiontech.com/collections/alternator-accessories/products/3g-regulator . have them for the 3G alternator.

1. Remove the alternator and put it on a bench.

2. Remove 4 Torx screws and lift out the old regulator.

3. Insert the new regulator (do not remove the pin that comes in it till it is in place).

4. Tighten the 4 screws and pop the alternator back on the truck.

Good luck,

peace.gif

OP
OP
Krafty

Krafty

Reaction score
I would gladly search for the part on the napa canada website but it crashes whenever I put in any search parameters. ***. ill try calling in the morning, i might try putting it on my other alternator that was overcharging but we'll see how i feel when I have some free time.

OP
OP
Krafty

Krafty

Reaction score
also I didn't realize(forgot) that the " Internal" voltage regulator was mounted "externally" on the alternator, I had it in my mind I would have to split the case open and figure it out from there but yeah that sounds a whole lot better.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo KRAFTY,

http://www.bluestreak.ca/ has the regs

select

Catalogoe

Engine Management

BWD

go thru make... model. year drill and select

Alternator / Generator Voltage Regulator

Alternator / Generator Voltage Regulator

R400 External

R731 Internal

BWD SELECT® replacement parts are designed, specified and manufactured with one goal in mind – to make them the very best. We use the finest materials and improve on OE specifications whenever possible. The result is maximum performance and longevity.

•The BWD SELECT® voltage regulators use BWD manufactured circuit boards that use only the highest grade components. The benefit is greater durability and longer life.

•The BWD SELECT® voltage regulator PC board is encapsulated in epoxy. The benefit is improved resistance to failures caused by vibration and corrosion of electrical connections.

•BWD is a global manufacturer of original equipment ignition products, complete quality control is maintained through the manufacturing process from componentry to finished product

OP
OP
Krafty

Krafty

Reaction score
thanks for the info miesk5, The alternator killed my battery this morning so when I boosted my truck after work it had no life left in it. Thankfully my employer is giving me my own work truck to take home for a while. I called up the wreckers today and they're on holidays until next monday, so maybe next week I can get er all figured out

OP
OP
Krafty

Krafty

Reaction score
got the voltage regulator off the alt that was on the motor I pulled out of the 89 last year cause the mounting points of that alt was different. gonna try the alt when I get back to work on monday and see if I can get lucky

Seabronc

Reaction score
got the voltage regulator off the alt that was on the motor I pulled out of the 89 last year cause the mounting points of that alt was different. gonna try the alt when I get back to work on monday and see if I can get lucky
To get it in, push the brushes up inside it and insert a strait pin through the hole in the side of the regulator and through the holes in the brushes. Mount it on the alternator before and then pull the pin out.

Good luck,

peace.gif

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
IIRC a member here shift1313 posted a HOWTO rebuild your alternator on this site. It might be worth taking a look at it.

Here it is...

http://broncozone.com/topic/15810-alternator-rebuild/page__p__84434__hl__%2Bshift1313+%2Balternator__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=84434

For what its worth, when the alternator in my windstar went bad, I decided I would try the rebuild. I found that the armature was worn away at about 130,000 miles.

I bought parts online only to find during my reassembly, I must have caused a short. So after a fair amount of wasted time, and some cash, I bought a remanned unit with a warranty.

If you have a regulator that is overcharging the battery, I wouldn't put that on. IT can overcharge and destroy your battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Krafty

Krafty

Reaction score
so im no further ahead yet, I have 3 alts, # 1 one was overcharging but I cant take the regulator out cause I rounded the torx heads, the other isnt charging and the voltage regulator didnt fix it that came off #3, and the 3rd alt has the voltage regulator on alt # 2 it turns out that my trucks bracket will accept both opposed and offset bolt locations so it would fit, but its an hour away.

Seabronc

Reaction score
so im no further ahead yet, I have 3 alts, # 1 one was overcharging but I cant take the regulator out cause I rounded the torx heads, the other isnt charging and the voltage regulator didnt fix it that came off #3, and the 3rd alt has the voltage regulator on alt # 2 it turns out that my trucks bracket will accept both opposed and offset bolt locations so it would fit, but its an hour away.
If the VR didn't the alternator, it probably has bad diodes. You could carefully cut slots in the rounded heads and use a strait blade screwdriver. Turn the blots in the tighten direction first to break a corrosion weld and then loosen.

Good luck,

peace.gif

OP
OP
Krafty

Krafty

Reaction score
Thanks seabronc, I made the run out to get #3 tonight so tomorrow night after work im gonna put that one back together and try it and if that doesnt work then Ill get back on swapping the VR on #1

OP
OP
Krafty

Krafty

Reaction score
The Ford is alive again. I tried #3 from the 302 and it didnt fit, so I ended up cutting groves in the heads of the bolts on #1 like seabronc recommended and got them out and got one of the good VR's in and bolted it up and it seems to be working fine. Now I just need to work on getting some new winter tires cause I almost went in the ditch 3 times on my way home from work, my work truck isnt 4x4 so I was eager to get my truck in the shop when I saw the snow falling hard around noon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23