installing power steering pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cj_92Bronco

Reaction score
well i bought a cardone power steering pump, installed no problem. now i need to slide the pully onto the shaft, but its compression fitted so its a tight fit and i cant do it by hand. the directions say to tighten it with a square nut and the bolt and washer it comes with but this isnt working cause the shaft keeps spinning with the pully as im turning the wrench. i took a hammer to the center of the pully and hit it onto the shaft but i still got about 1/8 of an inch more to go and its so hard tto move this thing, and how will i get it level with the other pullys?

Yardape

Reaction score
If you can get it back off maybe you can try heating it. Put the pulley in the oven for a bit.

jeffy1

Reaction score
well i bought a cardone power steering pump, installed no problem. now i need to slide the pully onto the shaft, but its compression fitted so its a tight fit and i cant do it by hand. the directions say to tighten it with a square nut and the bolt and washer it comes with but this isnt working cause the shaft keeps spinning with the pully as im turning the wrench. i took a hammer to the center of the pully and hit it onto the shaft but i still got about 1/8 of an inch more to go and its so hard tto move this thing, and how will i get it level with the other pullys?
did u ever thick that the pulley is on as far as u have it now.

OP
OP
C

cj_92Bronco

Reaction score
na theres no way this thing can come back off. i did heat it up with a blow torch but that only helped about 1/8" so i hammered it for a while and still have 1/8" to go. i tried putting the belt back on and starting it up but the belt goes to the ac compressor and the fan and since the fan doesnt have a track for the belt it almost moved off so im scared that if i hit a bump the belt will come off.

bobstrat

Reaction score
na theres no way this thing can come back off. i did heat it up with a blow torch but that only helped about 1/8" so i hammered it for a while and still have 1/8" to go. i tried putting the belt back on and starting it up but the belt goes to the ac compressor and the fan and since the fan doesnt have a track for the belt it almost moved off so im scared that if i hit a bump the belt will come off.

you have a serpentine belt set up, correct?

OP
OP
C

cj_92Bronco

Reaction score
naw i broke the last one we have just been talking about, i bought a new one and these pulley pusher kits are pieces of shit cause they keep stripping and the inside of the pulley is so snug its impossible to move anymore and i still have 1/2 to a 1/4" to go. this is impossible and im on a time limit cause i need to go to work and school these next few days

Seabronc

Reaction score
Buy or rent the correct tool from some place. I hate to mention this name, but Auto Zone rents tools. It you don't use the correct one you will mess up the whole job that will only take about 1 minute with the correct tool. If you try forcing it on you may just ***** up the pump or shaft.

Good luck,

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23