installing lift kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fritz180

Reaction score
Ok. I have a question for someone, I'm installing a 4 inch lift kit with new rear springs and when I took out one of the old springs I found a wedge under the leaf and on top of the axle. My question is when I install the new leaf springs do I put the wedge back in or do I leave it out? any help is greatly appreciated.. Thanks

Foul Al

Reaction score
Ok. I have a question for someone, I'm installing a 4 inch lift kit with new rear springs and when I took out one of the old springs I found a wedge under the leaf and on top of the axle. My question is when I install the new leaf springs do I put the wedge back in or do I leave it out? any help is greatly appreciated.. Thanks
I'm pretty sure you should leave it in. I'ts probably there to keep the proper angle of the rear in relation to the springs. keep them in.

90windsor

Reaction score
I just noticed that the new springs have a slight wedge on them also.. Do I still use the original wedge also?
you might need to use both to correct the pinion angle (making the rear end pointed directly at the t-case, so the driveshaft looks like its going straight in) helps for wear with u-joints and stress on pinion bearings.

Miss Kitten

Reaction score
even after you get the springs installed you may need to get a different size wedge made up.

the easiest way you'll notice if you have the wrong pinion angle on the rear is when you take the truck for a test drive after the lift is installed and there's a vibration from the rear

don't leave it too long either or you could risk damage to the tcase or rear diff

muddrivermike

Reaction score
Ive come across this on various lifts over the years and what I found was to see if the wedge on the axle and the leafs are the same, If they are you can take out the one that was on your axle and keep the new one.Once in a while Ive seen 2 wedges stacked up like that and the bottom one always breaks,also you shouldnt be able to keep the axle one UNLESS its one of those one that are like an inch thick os so. The pin going through the leaf springs are not long enough to go through that axle wedge, only long enough to plug directly into your axle mount. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
F

Fritz180

Reaction score
well I put the back rear leafs in, but I didn't do the front yet, that will be next weekend. As of right now the rear end seems to line up with the transfer case with out the original wedges. I'll find out more when I install the front end lift. Hopefully it will be good. Thanks everyone for your information.. Although I did notice if I put the factory wedge back in, it looks like it will angle the rear end downwards away from the transfer case.. I'm hoping I will be fine the way I have it right now..

Foul Al

Reaction score
well I put the back rear leafs in, but I didn't do the front yet, that will be next weekend. As of right now the rear end seems to line up with the transfer case with out the original wedges. I'll find out more when I install the front end lift. Hopefully it will be good. Thanks everyone for your information.. Although I did notice if I put the factory wedge back in, it looks like it will angle the rear end downwards away from the transfer case.. I'm hoping I will be fine the way I have it right now..
If you got new angle blocks with the new lift kit I would discard the old original ones in place of the new ones that are meant for the lift kit. Be sure to keep the originals just in case. send some pics so we can see what your dealing with and also so we can see the final product.

OP
OP
F

Fritz180

Reaction score
If you got new angle blocks with the new lift kit I would discard the old original ones in place of the new ones that are meant for the lift kit. Be sure to keep the originals just in case. send some pics so we can see what your dealing with and also so we can see the final product.

Thats what I though, and I am planning on holding onto them, because my luck I'd throw them out and then realize I needed them and then I would never be able to find other ones.. I don't want that.. I will post pictures when I get the chance.

78BroncHair

Reaction score
Throw the wedges away. I have had so many problems with my lift kit Im about ready to rip it off! Not really, But what you need to do to have it right is call Summit and order their leaf spring pads for your rear axle, take out your rear end and take it to a welding shop (or try it by yourself if youre confident enough) and tell them to cut your spring perches off and weld the new ones on (call your lift kit manufacturer and find out what size wedges they suggest.) at the suggested angle instead of putting in wedges. That gets you less shit in your rear end and leaves less to break. I just did this to my bronco this last weekend. (before I found out that my rear axle housing is toast.) And WHATEVER YOU DO! Dont buy a Rough Country Lift kit. Ive had to re build half of mine already, and it doesnt even have a thousand miles on it. Good luck and put up some pics!

Red Green Jr

Reaction score
those wedge blocks are from the factory and cannot be replaced. definitely keep them as they are no longer made and can only be found at junkyards. one of mine broke and i have had to go without them, but they helped a lot with the alignment and stability of my 2in lift block

OP
OP
F

Fritz180

Reaction score
Well I've done the back half of the lift, but I didn't connect the shocks or the sway bar. I was going to do the front part of the truck this weekend but other things came up and I wasn't able to do it. hopefully I'll be able to do it next weekend. But so far the angle doesn't look too bad correct?

OP
OP
F

Fritz180

Reaction score
Well I've done the back half of the lift, but I didn't connect the shocks or the sway bar. I was going to do the front part of the truck this weekend but other things came up and I wasn't able to do it. hopefully I'll be able to do it next weekend. But so far the angle doesn't look too bad, right?

driveshaft.JPG

OP
OP
F

Fritz180

Reaction score
does anyone think that the angle will be off from looking at the attached picture from my ad?. Here are more pictures of the truck after the lift. Cant wait until I drive it. It towers my jeep, I can't wait until I finish and put 35s on it..... so excited

Picture_070.jpg

muddrivermike

Reaction score
With a 4 inch lift you'll be fine.Its when you put a 6 inch or bigger you have to put drop down brackets and all on.

OP
OP
F

Fritz180

Reaction score
Cool, Thanks.. Hey since your from jersey, in your opinion do you think I'll have to go for a tilt test to get it inspected or do you think any gas station will do it?

muddrivermike

Reaction score
If you can get away with it then do it.It used to be you could go up to 4 inches without going through stability and you could go to any state or regular garage for inspection.AS of Feb 2000 ANY lift now has to go through stability.There are only 3 sites in jersey,,,Winslow,Asbury Park,and Lodi,I go to Winslow since its closer to me.Ive been dealing with these lift laws since Ive been driving.My truck is grandfathered with the lift but I had to drop tire size.Its ********!!!!Since 1983 the truck was on 44s but Feb of 2000 I had to drop down to 37" diameter tires?! It was OK for all those years but because of A DATE I had to change it?..It should of been anybody after that date had to go by the new rules not people that were a certain way for years.That is why in a couple of weeks I am putting historic tags on and will no longer have to go through inspection again,,,EVER! And I am keeping regular insurance on it so I can drive it any time I want as much as I want with no mileage or time of day limits,Unlike collectors insurance.Hey If you are over 25 Years old you can get those tags also.Its just $44.00 and 2 pics of the truck.1 of the front and 1 of any side.Registration renews every 3 years and its free.If you wanted to go that way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23