Instalation Of Bronco Rear Window

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbqrib

Reaction score
I am looking for instructions to replace tailgate window that shattered while I was driving down my farm road. Is there anyplace I can go on the internet for info and a schematic

Bradt

Reaction score
It's pretty straightforward. I don't know your level of experience, so bear with me. I don't have any pictures up, but there's really only 3 unique parts in there if you exclude the motor.

First thing you want to do is take off the access panel inside the tailgate, and use a shopvac to get out all the glass.

There's 2 bolts on either side of the tailgate. These go to the runners that guide the glass in and out. Go ahead and take them out and clear any glass left in them, and put them back in. Just tighten them down with your hands at this point because you may need to reloosen them to get the runners to line up with the glass.

There are two pretty stout springs on the arms that raise and lower your window, so be careful if you decide to check the motor or deal with any of that. They will give you a nasty cut at best or break a finger if you're not careful. As long as you leave the motor hooked up though you should be ok. Still something to keep in mind.

Now, with the tailgate open, close the latch on the driver's side (this will bypass the safety) and lower the arms so they are about halfway down. Anywhere that you can reach to them is fine. Re open the latch to engage the safety again so you don't accidently trip the switch and get yourself in trouble.

You will see two window regulators with 2 discs each on them for mounting the glass. Slide these off. If you slide to one side or the other they should come right off.

Now that you have them off look at the disks on these. Using a screwdriver or any tool that's narrow enough, clear the glass out of there.

Now that you have the broken glass out hold the regulator so that the disks are facing away and you are looking at the rivet head. You're going to need a dremel or other small metal cutting tool. If you're using a dremel either mount the regulator in a brace or get a thick leather glove because it will get hot from the friction. Now push the rivet from the back so you get a small gap between the head and the runner. Just take your dremel and cut the head off. Do the same thing for all four. Note how they are attached though, because you will have to put them back the same way. If you think you may forget take a picture or make a sketch. Doesn't matter which spot you put them in so long a the "front" and "back" are right. You will need to go ahead and pop them apart. They should be pretty easy to just pull apart.

Get yourself some steel wool or a heavy brush and clean all the stuff out of the slide on the regulators. If you have some grease you may want to go ahead and **** up your gearing in the back of the window, and definately the regulators. I used some silicon grease. It comes in an aerosol can and works pretty well.

Now that you've got everything apart here comes the bad news. You need to get four long 1/4 inch rivets. I think they're 1/4 inch anyway. If you take the disk and the rivet head to a shop they'll know what to get you. Now, unless you just have a heavy duty rivet gun or want to drop a couple hundred bucks on one, you're either going to have to rent one or know somebody that has one that can drive those rivets back in. I found a local body shop here, and the guy put the rivets in for me no charge.

Once you've got all the tools/parts slide the clean, greased regulators back on. You'll probably need a second set of hands for this part. Slide the window into place and put the disks onto the glass. If you put them on first you won't get it past the weather stripping on your gate. Be careful sliding the glass back in. Make sure it goes back into the runners and if the weather stripping gets caught and folds back use a butter knife to run along it and get it situated back the right way. If you use your pocket knife use the back side of the blade. You don't want cuts in it.

Now that you have the disks back on and the glass in all you have left to do is line the disks back up on the regulators and put on the rivets. Just make sure you have the disks on the right way, and you lined them back up so the metal disk is on one side, and the regulator on the other. Tighten up your runners if they're still loose. Replace the panel and there you go.

Brad

Last edited by a moderator:

o0oeyeballo0o

Reaction score
It's pretty straightforward. I don't know your level of experience, so bear with me. I don't have any pictures up, but there's really only 3 unique parts in there if you exclude the motor.
First thing you want to do is take off the access panel inside the tailgate, and use a shopvac to get out all the glass.

There's 2 bolts on either side of the tailgate. These go to the runners that guide the glass in and out. Go ahead and take them out and clear any glass left in them, and put them back in. Just tighten them down with your hands at this point because you may need to reloosen them to get the runners to line up with the glass.

There are two pretty stout springs on the arms that raise and lower your window, so be careful if you decide to check the motor or deal with any of that. They will give you a nasty cut at best or break a finger if you're not careful. As long as you leave the motor hooked up though you should be ok. Still something to keep in mind.

Now, with the tailgate open, close the latch on the driver's side (this will bypass the safety) and lower the arms so they are about halfway down. Anywhere that you can reach to them is fine. Re open the latch to engage the safety again so you don't accidently trip the switch and get yourself in trouble.

You will see two window regulators with 2 discs each on them for mounting the glass. Slide these off. If you slide to one side or the other they should come right off.

Now that you have them off look at the disks on these. Using a screwdriver or any tool that's narrow enough, clear the glass out of there.

Now that you have the broken glass out hold the regulator so that the disks are facing away and you are looking at the rivet head. You're going to need a dremel or other small metal cutting tool. If you're using a dremel either mount the regulator in a brace or get a thick leather glove because it will get hot from the friction. Now push the rivet from the back so you get a small gap between the head and the runner. Just take your dremel and cut the head off. Do the same thing for all four. Note how they are attached though, because you will have to put them back the same way. If you think you may forget take a picture or make a sketch. Doesn't matter which spot you put them in so long a the "front" and "back" are right. You will need to go ahead and pop them apart. They should be pretty easy to just pull apart.

Get yourself some steel wool or a heavy brush and clean all the stuff out of the slide on the regulators. If you have some grease you may want to go ahead and **** up your gearing in the back of the window, and definately the regulators. I used some silicon grease. It comes in an aerosol can and works pretty well.

Now that you've got everything apart here comes the bad news. You need to get four long 1/4 inch rivets. I think they're 1/4 inch anyway. If you take the disk and the rivet head to a shop they'll know what to get you. Now, unless you just have a heavy duty rivet gun or want to drop a couple hundred bucks on one, you're either going to have to rent one or know somebody that has one that can drive those rivets back in. I found a local body shop here, and the guy put the rivets in for me no charge.

Once you've got all the tools/parts slide the clean, greased regulators back on. You'll probably need a second set of hands for this part. Slide the window into place and put the disks onto the glass. If you put them on first you won't get it past the weather stripping on your gate. Be careful sliding the glass back in. Make sure it goes back into the runners and if the weather stripping gets caught and folds back use a butter knife to run along it and get it situated back the right way. If you use your pocket knife use the back side of the blade. You don't want cuts in it.

Now that you have the disks back on and the glass in all you have left to do is line the disks back up on the regulators and put on the rivets. Just make sure you have the disks on the right way, and you lined them back up so the metal disk is on one side, and the regulator on the other. Tighten up your runners if they're still loose. Replace the panel and there you go.

Brad

WILL THE WINDOWS FROM A 86 FIT A 88?

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK