Ignition key issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aemnky606

Reaction score
I have replaced my key cylinder as I thought I was having issues with the old one. My issue is I have to turn the cylinder back and forth to get the key to come out. I have noticed if I turn it off and turn it till I see the shifter move up slightly I can remove the key. But most times I have to play with it a lot to get it out.
this was the case with the old and new cylinder. Any ideas what to do to fix this issue?

1993 Eddie Bauer

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Aemnky606,
Welcome!
If you have a tilt column, the ignition actuator rods are broken, preventing the cylinder from returning to the key-out position.
To replace, see ttps://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/573959

Or check with a local yard, some have local sources to replace it for you.

Also, accessories that fail to operate with the key in RUN, or that remain on when the key is turned off, may be the result of a misadjusted ignition switch rather than a malfunctioning ignition switch.

Test the ignition system mechanical operation by rotating the ignition key through all positions. The movement should feel smooth with no sticking or binding.

The ignition key should return from the START position back to the ON position without assistance (spring return). If sticking or binding is encountered, check for the following:
burrs on the ignition switch lock cylinder
binding ignition switch lock cylinder
shroud rubbing against ignition switch lock cylinder
burrs or foreign material around the rack-and-pinion actuator in the housing of the ignition switch lock cylinder
insufficient **** on actuator
binding ignition switch
actuator inside steering column is broken or ignition switch is loose.

The ignition switch can be adjusted by loosening the mounting screws, and sliding it up or down

●□●
Find out if speed control, if equipped, recall work completed. Check @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number); or @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site; or ... have VIN ready. While there, see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

Here is the 1993 Bronco Dealer Brochure in Google Drive @ 93Bronco.pdf

1993 Bronco Dealer Training Video via silver70 @

1993 Bronco, Venezuela Commercial @
Al

OP
OP
A

Aemnky606

Reaction score
Miesk5,

all the positions work and it does return from start. It does seem like there is old “sticky” grease in there. I do have a tilt column so I will check it out when I get home Friday.

Thanks.
Walter

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar