Ignition Actuator info in tilt & non-tilt Bronco & Ford F Series

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

I never was able to personally view the non-tilt actuator for most years. But some "mechanics" do claim that the non-tilt Broncos & F series (& probably E series) do Not have an actuator or rod.But did find the Ford Ignition Actuator Rod (NON-TILT)See info @ ford ignition actuator 07 actuator rod | Steering Column Services"This Ford ignition actuator rod connects the actuator to the ignition switch on Ford cars and trucks covering years 1977 through 1991 with a NON Tilt steering column.actuator07-thumb.jpgIt is a steel rod, measures 10 3/4" in length and has a small right angle bend at one end and 1/2 loop (hook) at the other end.Our Part # Actuator07Fits Makes: Ford Cars & TrucksFits Years: 1977-1991$46.15" as of todaySee 11A599Some Bronco owners claim this actuator is for just the tilt mechanism on a tilt wheeled Bronco, but don't offer and diagrams showing it connected to the tilt mechanism. Some have caused other owners to buy a complete column or sell their Broncos.EDIT;
I e mailed the company asking them to again confirm that "This Ford ignition actuator rod connects the actuator to the ignition switch on Ford cars and trucks covering years 1977 through 1991 with a NON Tilt steering column."

Well now, talk 'bout customer service!Just received reply from Steering Column Services.com"We do sell both rods, tilt and non-tilt for the ford trucks from 80-91. They only made 2 different ones. 1 non-tilt rod and 1 tilt rods (different bends at the top…same purpose).As you showed in your attached picture, that is the correct one for the non tilt designs (all of them)Typically these do not go bad unless someone bent them up after an actuator broke.The non-tilt simply goes directly from the rack gear to the switch.The 1996 Broco is an entirely different animal. It uses 2 plastic actuators…here (bottom 2 pictures) that go from the upper lock housing through the cast main housing and allow for a switch with a stud to align with the lower actuator. Ford Ignition Actuator (upper) Our Part # RACK05 OEM # F2DZ 3E723 A $32.63Ford Ignition Actuator (lower) Our Part # RACK06 OEM # F0DZ 3E715 A $38.78We offer instructions for replacing those hereEstimated Time Required: 1.0 - 1.5 hrs.Tools Needed: 30 torx driver, large flatblade screwdriver, right angle pick, needlenose pliers, snap ring lpiers, small flatblade screwdriver, small punch, hammer, 7/8 deep socket, 3/8 x 2" bolt, (or PVC Pipe). Our Part # Rack06i Instructions $24.95Here is the sample instruction pic (bottom pic)rack06Intro-thumb.jpgWe hope that helpsSteering Column Services.com889 Molinaro Ct. Ivins, UT 84738"
...I replied, thanked them and confirmed that 96 non-tilt Broncos do require;Ford Ignition Actuator (upper) Our Part # RACK05 OEM # F2DZ 3E723 A rack05-thumb.jpgAndFord Ignition Actuator (lower) Our Part # RACK06 OEM # F0DZ 3E715 Arack06-thumb.jpg"these are Ford parts."...also; "We use the Dorman old actuator because no one else makes it and we have had no trouble over the 10 yrs we have been installing them other than some adjustment from time to time to make them fit smoothly."

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
Yo,

I never was able to personally view the non-tilt actuator for most years. But some "mechanics" do claim that the non-tilt Broncos & F series (& probably E series) do Not have an actuator or rod.But did find the Ford Ignition Actuator Rod (NON-TILT)See info @ ford ignition actuator 07 actuator rod | Steering Column Services"This Ford ignition actuator rod connects the actuator to the ignition switch on Ford cars and trucks covering years 1977 through 1991 with a NON Tilt steering column.View attachment 27076It is a steel rod, measures 10 3/4" in length and has a small right angle bend at one end and 1/2 loop (hook) at the other end.Our Part # Actuator07Fits Makes: Ford Cars & TrucksFits Years: 1977-1991$46.15" as of todaySee 11A599Some Bronco owners claim this actuator is for just the tilt mechanism on a tilt wheeled Bronco, but don't offer and diagrams showing it connected to the tilt mechanism. Some have caused other owners to buy a complete column or sell their Broncos.EDIT;
I e mailed the company asking them to again confirm that "This Ford ignition actuator rod connects the actuator to the ignition switch on Ford cars and trucks covering years 1977 through 1991 with a NON Tilt steering column."

Well now, talk 'bout customer service!Just received reply from Steering Column Services.com"We do sell both rods, tilt and non-tilt for the ford trucks from 80-91. They only made 2 different ones. 1 non-tilt rod and 1 tilt rods (different bends at the top…same purpose).As you showed in your attached picture, that is the correct one for the non tilt designs (all of them)Typically these do not go bad unless someone bent them up after an actuator broke.The non-tilt simply goes directly from the rack gear to the switch.The 1996 Broco is an entirely different animal. It uses 2 plastic actuators…here (bottom 2 pictures) that go from the upper lock housing through the cast main housing and allow for a switch with a stud to align with the lower actuator. Ford Ignition Actuator (upper) Our Part # RACK05 OEM # F2DZ 3E723 A $32.63Ford Ignition Actuator (lower) Our Part # RACK06 OEM # F0DZ 3E715 A $38.78We offer instructions for replacing those hereEstimated Time Required: 1.0 - 1.5 hrs.Tools Needed: 30 torx driver, large flatblade screwdriver, right angle pick, needlenose pliers, snap ring lpiers, small flatblade screwdriver, small punch, hammer, 7/8 deep socket, 3/8 x 2" bolt, (or PVC Pipe). Our Part # Rack06i Instructions $24.95Here is the sample instruction pic (bottom pic)View attachment 27077We hope that helpsSteering Column Services.com889 Molinaro Ct. Ivins, UT 84738"
...I replied, thanked them and confirmed that 96 non-tilt Broncos do require;Ford Ignition Actuator (upper) Our Part # RACK05 OEM # F2DZ 3E723 A View attachment 27078AndFord Ignition Actuator (lower) Our Part # RACK06 OEM # F0DZ 3E715 AView attachment 27079"these are Ford parts."...also; "We use the Dorman old actuator because no one else makes it and we have had no trouble over the 10 yrs we have been installing them other than some adjustment from time to time to make them fit smoothly."

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Both my 78 Bronco,s have the switch on the lower dash. NOT on the column. Mine does NOT have tilt. They are a pain to work on. Steering Column Service is a good place to deal with .They have different makes diagphrams and alot of parts.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yo,

I never was able to personally view the non-tilt actuator for most years. But some "mechanics" do claim that the non-tilt Broncos & F series (& probably E series) do Not have an actuator or rod.But did find the Ford Ignition Actuator Rod (NON-TILT)See info @ ford ignition actuator 07 actuator rod | Steering Column Services"This Ford ignition actuator rod connects the actuator to the ignition switch on Ford cars and trucks covering years 1977 through 1991 with a NON Tilt steering column.View attachment 27076It is a steel rod, measures 10 3/4" in length and has a small right angle bend at one end and 1/2 loop (hook) at the other end.Our Part # Actuator07Fits Makes: Ford Cars & TrucksFits Years: 1977-1991$46.15" as of todaySee 11A599Some Bronco owners claim this actuator is for just the tilt mechanism on a tilt wheeled Bronco, but don't offer and diagrams showing it connected to the tilt mechanism. Some have caused other owners to buy a complete column or sell their Broncos.EDIT;

Well now, talk 'bout customer service!Just received reply from Steering Column Services.com"We do sell both rods, tilt and non-tilt for the ford trucks from 80-91. They only made 2 different ones. 1 non-tilt rod and 1 tilt rods (different bends at the top…same purpose).As you showed in your attached picture, that is the correct one for the non tilt designs (all of them)Typically these do not go bad unless someone bent them up after an actuator broke.The non-tilt simply goes directly from the rack gear to the switch.The 1996 Broco is an entirely different animal. It uses 2 plastic actuators…here (bottom 2 pictures) that go from the upper lock housing through the cast main housing and allow for a switch with a stud to align with the lower actuator. Ford Ignition Actuator (upper) Our Part # RACK05 OEM # F2DZ 3E723 A $32.63Ford Ignition Actuator (lower) Our Part # RACK06 OEM # F0DZ 3E715 A $38.78We offer instructions for replacing those hereEstimated Time Required: 1.0 - 1.5 hrs.Tools Needed: 30 torx driver, large flatblade screwdriver, right angle pick, needlenose pliers, snap ring lpiers, small flatblade screwdriver, small punch, hammer, 7/8 deep socket, 3/8 x 2" bolt, (or PVC Pipe). Our Part # Rack06i Instructions $24.95Here is the sample instruction pic (bottom pic)View attachment 27077We hope that helpsSteering Column Services.com889 Molinaro Ct. Ivins, UT 84738"
...I replied, thanked them and confirmed that 96 non-tilt Broncos do require;Ford Ignition Actuator (upper) Our Part # RACK05 OEM # F2DZ 3E723 A View attachment 27078AndFord Ignition Actuator (lower) Our Part # RACK06 OEM # F0DZ 3E715 AView attachment 27079"these are Ford parts."...also; "We use the Dorman old actuator because no one else makes it and we have had no trouble over the 10 yrs we have been installing them other than some adjustment from time to time to make them fit smoothly."
I have dealt with them and they are good place to deal with. I NEVER had any problems with them .

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I have dealt with them and they are good place to deal with. I NEVER had any problems with them .
Also Mike the tilt column does have a bad habit of shortening out and will cause the battery to drain. The cause of it is. When you tilt the wheel each time. Their is a small wire that moves CLOSER to a small spring. Till eventially it makes its way into the spring and eventually the spring moving up and down.Will cause a bare spot in the small wire--that drains your battery. I only worked on one and they are a pain,but I learnt alot from it and i,M ASHAME TO SAY IT--It took me abou 2 years to get it fixed. I,d get mad and set it aside. Finally I ordered a used steering column from Ok. The day it came in--I got mine fixed. Also the aggitator rod can get bent. Don,t ask how--as hard as they hard, Its hard to believe ,but mine did get bent and I think I had to use 2 pairs of vise grips to get it bent a complet opposite it from waht it was.,but I finally got it fixed--after all that time and it takes certain tools too. Alot of really good mechanics tried fixing them and gave up.

Motech

Reaction score
how do you fix 1988 bronco 2 radio light
Deserves it's own thread, but if you pull out the stereo and then remove the 4 faceplate screws, you will have access to the number 37 bulb you'll need to replace. You want to find one with the green rubber on it, because the ones that are just tinted green are too white and bright.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke