Hub Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beausdad

Reaction score
How hard is it to put manual hubs in? Could it seriously be as simple as just a few screws and some grease or is there something I am missing? I would love to put some manuals on. 95 Eddie Bauer 351 Windsor 5.8L. I am also having a problem keeping the front end aligned. Don't take it off road much cause it is my family truckster until I can get something else and then it will become my toy. Anyone ever done your own aligning and how hard would that be?

Yardape

Reaction score
Its super easy to install the hubs. The alignment can be done at home no problem, as long as you have the $20,000.00 alignment machine

OP
OP
beausdad

beausdad

Reaction score
As far as the alignment I saw that JC whitney had those alignment pads you could buy that aren't overly expensive. I was just wondering if anyone knew about them.

How hard is it to put manual hubs in? Could it seriously be as simple as just a few screws and some grease or is there something I am missing? I would love to put some manuals on. 95 Eddie Bauer 351 Windsor 5.8L. I am also having a problem keeping the front end aligned. Don't take it off road much cause it is my family truckster until I can get something else and then it will become my toy. Anyone ever done your own aligning and how hard would that be?

Roadkill

Reaction score
I just looked at the JCWhitney website. The pad thing I have never used. The guage that looks sort of like a curtain rod is very similar to the tool I used to use to adjust tow in/out on HMMWV's for the Army. It worked pretty good but their is no way to measure camber (just like with the pad thing) Instead of buying a tool of unknown quality or usefullness, I would recomend that you thoroughly inspect all of the parts of the front suspenion/steering (look for worn bushings and tie rod ends; worn or misadjusted wheel bearings; or worn ball joints) and replace any faulty parts. Then take it to a reputable alignment shop and get it aligned right. If you dont do much off roading in it, your alignment problems will probably disapear for good. When you do decide to start offroading it, any of those parts I mentioned can ruin your day if they fail on the trail.

By the way, the hubs really are a piece of cake. The instructions are in the box.

Didnt mean to ramble on so much, hope this stuff helps you out.

One last thing, when checking front suspension dont forget the radius arm bushings, they are easy to overlook if you are new this stuff.

OP
OP
beausdad

beausdad

Reaction score
Haven't done a lot of 4Wheeling in it. **** - the transfer case motor was shot for the past year. I didn't put the new one on until a couple of weeks ago. I am pretty sure I need to replace all those items you mentioned. I also need to put in a new sending unit. Getting expensive guessing when I need to fill up with gas every week.

As far as the alignment I saw that JC whitney had those alignment pads you could buy that aren't overly expensive. I was just wondering if anyone knew about them.

Yardape

Reaction score
Dont even bother worrying about an alignment without replacing all the worn front end parts, if they are bad then you will never get the alignment right. I am surprised an alignment shop even took your truck in if that stuff needs to be replaced, I had a torn outer tie rod boot in my car one time, it was chewing through tires like crazy so I wanted them to do the best they can, they refused. Needed it fixed before they would touch it.

ocalabronco

Reaction score
installing the manual hubs is a cakewalk. if you can remove the autos, you can install the manuals. and doing a driveway alignment isnt hard either. i just tape some 2x4's to the tires, take measurements, then adjust the TRE's so that the front is toed 1/4" inward. tracks strait as an arrow

OP
OP
beausdad

beausdad

Reaction score
Could you give me a little more in depth on driveway alignment. I can't afford to pay somebody to do this crap for me.

installing the manual hubs is a cakewalk. if you can remove the autos, you can install the manuals. and doing a driveway alignment isnt hard either. i just tape some 2x4's to the tires, take measurements, then adjust the TRE's so that the front is toed 1/4" inward. tracks strait as an arrow

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj