How To Measure Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Carnutt73

Reaction score
When doing things like a front leveling kit or even buying shocks for a stock vehicle you will need to know what length shocks to get since what will show to fit your vehicle sometimes doesn't fit. You will need both collapsed and full extension measurements. Remember that with the leveling kit you will need longer shocks. I found this chart that shows how to measure shock length. Hope this helps people.howtomeasure_grande.jpg

Last edited:

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice find! Does this setup basically work with any lift and with any type of vehicle?
When doing things like a front leveling kit or even buying shocks for a stock vehicle you will need to know what length shocks to get since what will show to fit your vehicle sometimes doesn't fit. You will need both collapsed and full extension measurements. Remember that with the leveling kit you will need longer shocks. I found this chart that shows how to measure shock length. Hope this helps people.View attachment 22092

OP
OP
Carnutt73

Carnutt73

Reaction score
Nice find! Does this setup basically work with any lift and with any type of vehicle?
Yes it does work for any type of vehicle. For instance if you want to measure for shocks for a lifted vehicle but have no shocks to measure just apply the same things that you would for the shocks. Measure the same mounting points while the suspension is under full compression and at full extension. So this works with anything even if you don't have shocks to measure.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I don,t know about the 79,but the 78 Bronco has two (2) different lengths shocks on it. Also the ones with twin shocks I don,t have any information on them. So its best not to get them mixed up when taking them off. Get some chaulk or crayon and mark on the inside fender wells and on the shocks.Which goes where.So their won,t be any confusing.

OP
OP
Carnutt73

Carnutt73

Reaction score
I don,t know about the 79,but the 78 Bronco has two (2) different lengths shocks on it. Also the ones with twin shocks I don,t have any information on them. So its best not to get them mixed up when taking them off. Get some chaulk or crayon and mark on the inside fender wells and on the shocks.Which goes where.So their won,t be any confusing.
I like your idea of marking where the shocks go. good way to keep from being confused. I think all broncos had a dual shock option. My 88 has the quad shock option on it and is really easy to figure out which shock goes where due to the major difference in length. There is almost a 5 inch difference in length between the front and back shock. Its a lot closer on solid axel trucks and broncos.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I like your idea of marking where the shocks go. good way to keep from being confused. I think all broncos had a dual shock option. My 88 has the quad shock option on it and is really easy to figure out which shock goes where due to the major difference in length. There is almost a 5 inch difference in length between the front and back shock. Its a lot closer on solid axel trucks and broncos.
I think the dual shock was a option. Both my 78 Bronco,s--Ranger XLT and Custom only has single shocks on the front.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke