How to install a new cam on my 408 stroker engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rogmit

Reaction score
Well it's been awhile since I've posted anything and the Bronco has sat for about 3 years andI'm wanting to put a more aggressive cam in it, it doesn't have a stock cam, it has a mild cam but I'm wanting to go more agressive but I've never actually done anything in the lower end yet myself, it puts out about 375 hours and I'd like to go to maybe 500hp, is there any input from anyone

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Installing the cam isn't that hard. Plenty of videos and write ups. Have to pull the valve covers, intake. Timing cover. Radiator, ac condenser. (unless you are pulling the engine.

Timing is simple. Just line up the notches on the sprockets.

Have you already made sure your valve springs can handle it?

OP
OP
R

rogmit

Reaction score
Installing the cam isn't that hard. Plenty of videos and write ups. Have to pull the valve covers, intake. Timing cover. Radiator, ac condenser. (unless you are pulling the engine.

Timing is simple. Just line up the notches on the sprockets.

Have you already made sure your valve springs can handle it?
No but I'm putting on a afr 220cc cylinder head and I'll have to check with jegs about the heads and cam match

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Big project, sounds like fun.

Just take your time, when you get stuck ask. Isn't hard just time consuming.

chrlsful

Reaction score
I would never install a new cam w/o decreeing it. Some just go dot to dot. At that - U never know what U have. Be sure, degree it. Make sure the other components are up to ***** so as not to need to tear it down again to replace later. Get the correct springs (cam manufacturer will list) to go w/the new cam.
Some go easier/cheeper and just do the hi lift/better ratio rockers. Do some research, decide what U want: DIY, what's the APPLICATION, time in/results, budget, etc. Good Luck, have fun, B safe a n d productive.

Jasgeer

Reaction score
Well it's been awhile since I've posted anything and the Bronco has sat for about 3 years andI'm wanting to put a more aggressive cam in it, it doesn't have a stock cam, it has a mild cam but I'm wanting to go more agressive but I've never actually done anything in the lower end yet myself, it puts out about 375 hours and I'd like to go to maybe 500hp, is there any input from anyone
The problem will be selecting a cam that has enough low end. If you have an automatic you will probably need to change to a higher stall contverter. Since you have a 1992 I would suggest you might want to investigate using roller lifters even if your engine did not come stock with them. The engine will most likely already be cast to accept them. A roller cam gives more flow than a flat as the lift and fall on the lobes is much sharper. Howards Cams are sold by all of the major distributors and have many roller options for Ford engines. You can call Howards Cams directly or Competition Products who are a knowledgeable authorized distributor to get their recommendations. Your pistons, head and cam will determine the effective compression ratio. As mentioned earlier, it is critical that the valve springs be able to handle the valve lift otherwise they will bind. There will likely be an inner, outer and damper spring. And you will definitely need a dual timing chain (like dual bicycle chains) to handle the load.
Good luck! It should be a monster!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke