Hello, Yes, it's me again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RR-Texas

Reaction score
I have just returned from the island of Chandelier.
What am I doing in town?
Well, I'm glad you asked.
I'm just passing through in search of the ever elusive...

“Is there one circuit that controls the fuel pump and coil? I’m wondering if my ignition switch took a dump it’s been messed up since I bought it, even bent a key a couple years ago or something else? What does that security module do? I learned the first year it won’t run without it😎! I have no spark and no pump today.

Thankfully it decided to do it while it was warming up yesterday. But I heard (possibly it’s last?) pump up with key on, of course the tank is full, if it’s a pump. I’ll look in the manual later, but the vast knowledge here makes it easier to ask.

Please and thank you!
Richard

I do have a new used ride, my newly traveled daily 135 miles round trip (redhead, we’ve been in and out of each other’s life’s since we were 16) already has 18,000+ on my 19 F150 since June, of course 96” drinks fuel too! Maybe the nut that attaches the handlebars to the seat? I won some awards apparently, “lm Outstanding in a Field” maybe? Also sorry if I used that intro before, I’m old, I forget things

Attachments

• 2CF68909-C40B-410B-A3EB-5048D00958EE.jpeg
    2CF68909-C40B-410B-A3EB-5048D00958EE.jpeg
    928.7 KB · Views: 4

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I know Spark and pump are on different relays. There is a circuit that is in charge of closing the fuel pump relay when the EEC receives an RPM signal. ITs also the same signal that triggers spark. I'm not well versed in that circuit so I won't even pretend I know how it works.

Jumper the fuel pump relay to see if the pump runs.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Richard,
Welcome back!
92-96 Ignition Switch Logic & Multi-Function Switch Continuity Test @ http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stjb5015.htm#extract_1251
Btw, use Motorcraft ICM

Accessories that fail to operate with the key in RUN, or that remain on when the key is turned off, may be the result of a misadjusted ignition switch rather than a malfunctioning ignition switch.

Test the ignition system mechanical operation by rotating the ignition switch lock cylinder through all positions of the ignition switch. The movement should feel smooth with no sticking or binding. The ignition system should return from the START position back to the ON position without assistance (spring return). If sticking or binding is encountered, check for the following:
burrs on the ignition switch lock cylinder
binding ignition switch lock cylinder
shroud rubbing against ignition switch lock cylinder
burrs or foreign material around the rack-and-pinion actuator in the housing of the ignition switch lock cylinder
insufficient **** on actuator
binding ignition switch

The ignition switch can be adjusted by loosening the mounting screws, and sliding as described in above link.

Operational Sequence, Depiction & Wiring Diagram in a 94; "...When the ignition is switched to the ON position, it turns the EEC Power Relay on. The EEC Power Relay provides power to the EEC-IV processor and the control side of the fuel pump relay. Power for the fuel pump is supplied through a fuse link or high current fuse attached to the starter solenoid (battery side). From the fuse link or high current fuse, current flow is through the fuel pump relay and Inertia Fuel Shutoff (IFS) switch to the fuel pump. The IFS switch is a safety device used to shut off the fuel pump in the event of a collision. If the IFS switch is "tripped," it must be reset by depressing the white or red button on the top of the switch. The fuel pump relay is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). When the ignition switch is turned to the ON position, the fuel pump will operate. If the ignition switch is not turned to the START position, the PCM will shut the fuel pump off after approximately one second. The PCM will operate the fuel pump when the ignition is in the START position to provide fuel while cranking.After the engine starts, the PCM will continue to operate the fuel pump unless the engine stops, engine speed drops below 120 rpm, or the IFS switch is "tripped." Note: Grounding the FP lead at the DLC will allow the pump to run continuously with the ignition switch on..." READ MORE
Source: by Ford

1995-ignition-schematic.jpg
ignition-system---1995-bronco.gif
1995-bronco-eec-schematic.jpg
bronco-1995-engine-controls--pg-2501.gif

Attachments

• bronco-1995-engine-controls--pg-2501.gif
    bronco-1995-engine-controls--pg-2501.gif
    16.8 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
RR-Texas

RR-Texas

Reaction score
Yo Richard,
Welcome back!
92-96 Ignition Switch Logic & Multi-Function Switch Continuity Test @ http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stjb5015.htm#extract_1251
Btw, use Motorcraft ICM

Accessories that fail to operate with the key in RUN, or that remain on when the key is turned off, may be the result of a misadjusted ignition switch rather than a malfunctioning ignition switch.

Test the ignition system mechanical operation by rotating the ignition switch lock cylinder through all positions of the ignition switch. The movement should feel smooth with no sticking or binding. The ignition system should return from the START position back to the ON position without assistance (spring return). If sticking or binding is encountered, check for the following:
burrs on the ignition switch lock cylinder
binding ignition switch lock cylinder
shroud rubbing against ignition switch lock cylinder
burrs or foreign material around the rack-and-pinion actuator in the housing of the ignition switch lock cylinder
insufficient **** on actuator
binding ignition switch

The ignition switch can be adjusted by loosening the mounting screws, and sliding as described in above link.

Operational Sequence, Depiction & Wiring Diagram in a 94; "...When the ignition is switched to the ON position, it turns the EEC Power Relay on. The EEC Power Relay provides power to the EEC-IV processor and the control side of the fuel pump relay. Power for the fuel pump is supplied through a fuse link or high current fuse attached to the starter solenoid (battery side). From the fuse link or high current fuse, current flow is through the fuel pump relay and Inertia Fuel Shutoff (IFS) switch to the fuel pump. The IFS switch is a safety device used to shut off the fuel pump in the event of a collision. If the IFS switch is "tripped," it must be reset by depressing the white or red button on the top of the switch. The fuel pump relay is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). When the ignition switch is turned to the ON position, the fuel pump will operate. If the ignition switch is not turned to the START position, the PCM will shut the fuel pump off after approximately one second. The PCM will operate the fuel pump when the ignition is in the START position to provide fuel while cranking.After the engine starts, the PCM will continue to operate the fuel pump unless the engine stops, engine speed drops below 120 rpm, or the IFS switch is "tripped." Note: Grounding the FP lead at the DLC will allow the pump to run continuously with the ignition switch on..." READ MORE
Source: by Ford

View attachment 21408
View attachment 21409
View attachment 21410
View attachment 21412
Thank you sir! Having my left knee replaced on Thursday so it will be a while before I tackle it now. Of course it decided to go out right where the redhead girlie usually parks!

Attachments

• 0E0615E3-0432-447B-AF62-5A51BBF6BF72.jpeg
    0E0615E3-0432-447B-AF62-5A51BBF6BF72.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Richard,
Good that you got outside and cruised!
I've had both knees replaced by USN and later my right right hip a few years ago due to infection. It was a two stage surgery, but when doc chiseled out the old hip replacement, the femur fractured in two places. Was in hospital bed for 5 months with no pressure.
I cant get through airport security now in a timely fashion due to x ray alarm.

OP
OP
RR-Texas

RR-Texas

Reaction score
Richard,
Good that you got outside and cruised!
I've had both knees replaced by USN and later my right right hip a few years ago due to infection. It was a two stage surgery, but when doc chiseled out the old hip replacement, the femur fractured in two places. Was in hospital bed for 5 months with no pressure.
I cant get through airport security now in a timely fashion due to x ray alarm.
Dang! I don’t think I could have done 5 months in bed! Glad you recovered sir! I usually print all your technical replies. I’m thinking I might sale her, sitting after being a daily driver for 5+ years isn’t being kind to her! Same as my 77 Vette (of course I made it run faster). Still miss her, so I don’t know what to do just yet? My projects/toys/its in my blood is larger the the proposed projected budget for such.

Anyway they are working on a Bronco on one of the car shows today and I to go work on something! This is why I don’t like detached garages...or barns!

I put the Dyna up on the air table so I can make my way out to the barn and complete the mid control replacement. Maybe today? Probably not. I fed the birds and the squirrels today, got in and moved my truck over so they can haul away the wood pile away and probably gonna go buy my cane? The lady at Bed Bath & Beyond said she’d come out and get my card. That’s pretty cool!

Redhead is gone till the 4th or 5th

OP
OP
RR-Texas

RR-Texas

Reaction score
So I jumped the fuel pump relay, it runs but doesn’t sound like it’s got pressure just spinning. No pressure gauge here to check with, let a friend use it. For grins I just jumped the FP & PCM, notta, notta cheese enchilada. Truck was running the day it shut down as I was waiting for the trans to warm up and it just shut down. I need to confirm pressure yet have no fuel pump from key on either, I could understand a ignition switch problem if it happened at start up. Fuel gauge quit working a while back, some I’m gonna have to eventually drop the tank. As I can no longer read the mileage on the speedometer, an entirely different issue.

Probably be leaving the redheads once the knee is better and although she arrived on a trailer she ran! I really hate to have it towed out of here, so I’ve also set up this Pixie trap to get some magical dust to throw at it too!

Attachments

• 4F99CADE-9C6C-4973-89DA-2254C71A0BA6.jpeg
    4F99CADE-9C6C-4973-89DA-2254C71A0BA6.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 3

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke