Hello at last...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clayman

Reaction score
After many years of being content with lurking and reading I have been asked by the site's fearless leader to introduce myself. After 14 years I guess it's time. This will be a long and boring post. ****, I’m making up for lost time. You have been warned.

Like most of you I love Broncos (and other 4x4s, motorcycles and old cars). I've spent most of my life wrenching on old cars and trucks in my spare time with family and friends. I did it for a living for a few years before I got wise and decided not to mix my hobbies with my job. I’m much happier for it.

I can’t count the number of vehicles I’ve bought, beat up, fixed and sold over the years but I’ve owned three Broncos: a 70’, 78’ and 79’. I don’t own any at the moment though I came close to scoring one recently and I’m always looking for the next toy. I looked around but I couldn’t find pictures of any of them. I’ll check with the wife and see if she has any I can upload. There are bound to be some in a drawer or on some random digital camera in the attic.

I’ll stick to the Bronco stuff since this is a Bronco board after all. My first was a 78’ that I bought in 1989. It was copper with a white top. I paid $1750 for it from the original owner. It had well used interior that smelled like an ashtray, a very tired 351M with 130k miles on the clock and an automatic. The body was solid except for the floor pans and over the rear wheel wells. I replaced the rotted front floor pans, gave it a tune up, put a 4” lift on it, some 35” Super Swampers and a Detroit locker in the rear. I used it to camp, run trails, beach trips and ride power lines (That was a thing at one time). It was cool but after a few years I was getting more into two wheel stuff so I sold it and bought a second motorcycle.

My second Bronco was a 1st gen 70’ that I bought for $3500 in 93’. It had a C4 and a 302. It had been owned by a family of cave explorers (seriously). Nice folks who cared about who was buying their “baby”. They used it like a Bronco should be used so it already had fender flares, chrome wagon wheels and some kind of mild lift. The motor had been recently rebuilt and sounded solid but the transmission was slipping and making odd noise so I knew it would need attention soon. They were actually using a pair of vice grips to shift it in and out of gear when I bought it. The body had been prepped for paint but was in dark gray primer. Over the next 6 months or so I rebuilt the trans, installed a real floor shifter and traded a buddy some other work for him to give it a Ford Dark Blue Metallic paint job. I also found some bumpers that were in better shape than the ones that were on it. What a cool vehicle. It wouldn’t wheel like the 78’ but was a much better all-a-rounder. It was a conversation starter everywhere I went. I kept it for three years as a semi-daily driver. Then I was made an offer I couldn’t refuse, while I was getting gas if you can believe that, and sold it to "gas station guy" later that week. I cringe when I think of what I could get for a 1st gen in that kind of shape today. Oh well.

I bought my 3rd Bronco, a 79” in 96’ not too long after I sold the 70’. This one was black with a 460 and a C6. I paid $3000 for this one. The interior was solid, the engine compression was good and trans shifted smoothly. Other than a little bit of rot above both rear wheel wells it was good to go. Over the next 10 years that I had this one there was a laundry list of things I did. Most of the time I had it this was my daily driver too. We did a mild performance build on the motor that totally transformed it, rebuilt the trans, repaired all of the rust and minor dents and gave it a fresh coat of black paint and added several interior improvements. I again went with a 4” lift but used all-terrains instead of the Super Swampers. I used this Bronco for everything you can think of, even towing. I sold it in 06’ when we needed more money for a down payment on our current house. The selling price was fair but there are still times when I think I should have just lived in the Bronco. This Bronco was the one. It had the best combination of everything IMO. After I finished the drive-train rebuilds I didn’t do anything but regular maintenance. It was an absolute rock. It was nice but wasn't so nice I felt bad using it like a 4x4 should be used. I have a CJ5 now that I use as a fun vehicle but it's really small, rides like an empty dump truck and it's not very versatile. It's good for wheeling, but getting there is always a bit of a pain...and don't expect to bring much with you.

Anyway, I would love to have another Bronco. Finding the “right” one to start working on has become a lot harder though. I would only really be interested in a 2nd gen but they aren’t a secret to anyone anymore. Prices are getting a little silly. The 1st gens have been out of reach, at least to me, for a while now. It’s hard to imagine someone hammering a 1st gen through the woods anymore because it doesn't make a lot of sense to wheel a $50k+ Bronco. That's kind of a shame since they are very capable. I haven't seen one on the trails around here in years. I have some fun money set aside from the sale of another project and the CJ could go away with out too much persuasion, so I’m looking. I just haven’t found the right one for the right price yet.

I’ll do my best to chime in a little more than I have in the last 14 years if I can add something, no promises though. Happy wheeling all.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You are awesome! Thanks for posting up this detailed intro of your 3 Broncos. You really need to find those pics, especially the pics of the 1st gen!

johnnyreb

Reaction score
After many years of being content with lurking and reading I have been asked by the site's fearless leader to introduce myself. After 14 years I guess it's time. This will be a long and boring post. ****, I’m making up for lost time. You have been warned.

Like most of you I love Broncos (and other 4x4s, motorcycles and old cars). I've spent most of my life wrenching on old cars and trucks in my spare time with family and friends. I did it for a living for a few years before I got wise and decided not to mix my hobbies with my job. I’m much happier for it.

I can’t count the number of vehicles I’ve bought, beat up, fixed and sold over the years but I’ve owned three Broncos: a 70’, 78’ and 79’. I don’t own any at the moment though I came close to scoring one recently and I’m always looking for the next toy. I looked around but I couldn’t find pictures of any of them. I’ll check with the wife and see if she has any I can upload. There are bound to be some in a drawer or on some random digital camera in the attic.

I’ll stick to the Bronco stuff since this is a Bronco board after all. My first was a 78’ that I bought in 1989. It was copper with a white top. I paid $1750 for it from the original owner. It had well used interior that smelled like an ashtray, a very tired 351M with 130k miles on the clock and an automatic. The body was solid except for the floor pans and over the rear wheel wells. I replaced the rotted front floor pans, gave it a tune up, put a 4” lift on it, some 35” Super Swampers and a Detroit locker in the rear. I used it to camp, run trails, beach trips and ride power lines (That was a thing at one time). It was cool but after a few years I was getting more into two wheel stuff so I sold it and bought a second motorcycle.

My second Bronco was a 1st gen 70’ that I bought for $3500 in 93’. It had a C4 and a 302. It had been owned by a family of cave explorers (seriously). Nice folks who cared about who was buying their “baby”. They used it like a Bronco should be used so it already had fender flares, chrome wagon wheels and some kind of mild lift. The motor had been recently rebuilt and sounded solid but the transmission was slipping and making odd noise so I knew it would need attention soon. They were actually using a pair of vice grips to shift it in and out of gear when I bought it. The body had been prepped for paint but was in dark gray primer. Over the next 6 months or so I rebuilt the trans, installed a real floor shifter and traded a buddy some other work for him to give it a Ford Dark Blue Metallic paint job. I also found some bumpers that were in better shape than the ones that were on it. What a cool vehicle. It wouldn’t wheel like the 78’ but was a much better all-a-rounder. It was a conversation starter everywhere I went. I kept it for three years as a semi-daily driver. Then I was made an offer I couldn’t refuse, while I was getting gas if you can believe that, and sold it to "gas station guy" later that week. I cringe when I think of what I could get for a 1st gen in that kind of shape today. Oh well.

I bought my 3rd Bronco, a 79” in 96’ not too long after I sold the 70’. This one was black with a 460 and a C6. I paid $3000 for this one. The interior was solid, the engine compression was good and trans shifted smoothly. Other than a little bit of rot above both rear wheel wells it was good to go. Over the next 10 years that I had this one there was a laundry list of things I did. Most of the time I had it this was my daily driver too. We did a mild performance build on the motor that totally transformed it, rebuilt the trans, repaired all of the rust and minor dents and gave it a fresh coat of black paint and added several interior improvements. I again went with a 4” lift but used all-terrains instead of the Super Swampers. I used this Bronco for everything you can think of, even towing. I sold it in 06’ when we needed more money for a down payment on our current house. The selling price was fair but there are still times when I think I should have just lived in the Bronco. This Bronco was the one. It had the best combination of everything IMO. After I finished the drive-train rebuilds I didn’t do anything but regular maintenance. It was an absolute rock. It was nice but wasn't so nice I felt bad using it like a 4x4 should be used. I have a CJ5 now that I use as a fun vehicle but it's really small, rides like an empty dump truck and it's not very versatile. It's good for wheeling, but getting there is always a bit of a pain...and don't expect to bring much with you.

Anyway, I would love to have another Bronco. Finding the “right” one to start working on has become a lot harder though. I would only really be interested in a 2nd gen but they aren’t a secret to anyone anymore. Prices are getting a little silly. The 1st gens have been out of reach, at least to me, for a while now. It’s hard to imagine someone hammering a 1st gen through the woods anymore because it doesn't make a lot of sense to wheel a $50k+ Bronco. That's kind of a shame since they are very capable. I haven't seen one on the trails around here in years. I have some fun money set aside from the sale of another project and the CJ could go away with out too much persuasion, so I’m looking. I just haven’t found the right one for the right price yet.

I’ll do my best to chime in a little more than I have in the last 14 years if I can add something, no promises though. Happy wheeling all.
If I hadn,t been working on mine so long and looking forward to finally get to drive it. I,d probably sale mine.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
You still have the 78?
Yes and hope to get some nice weather. So I can hook up the gas regulator and pressure gauge this week. So I can take it out and HOPEFULLY nothing happens. Last time I started out and hoping. It caught on fire. I fought it myself and got it out,but ended up in the Huntington burn center,but I,m healed now and got everything to get it on the road and looking forward to driving it. Wish me good luck. I,ve done alot of work and put alot of new parts on it. To sale it just yet. I also have another 78 I,m working on. If I should run across one for sale. I,ll let you know.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes and hope to get some nice weather. So I can hook up the gas regulator and pressure gauge this week. So I can take it out and HOPEFULLY nothing happens. Last time I started out and hoping. It caught on fire. I fought it myself and got it out,but ended up in the Huntington burn center,but I,m healed now and got everything to get it on the road and looking forward to driving it. Wish me good luck. I,ve done alot of work and put alot of new parts on it. To sale it just yet. I also have another 78 I,m working on. If I should run across one for sale. I,ll let you know.
Wow, not worth getting 3rd degree burns for, but atleast everyone and everything is ok!

Have you posted pic of your 78 yet in a thread of yours somewhere?

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Wow, not worth getting 3rd degree burns for, but atleast everyone and everything is ok!

Thank you Shaggy. Well as much work I put into it. I determined to drive it, Thanks. I,ll have mi niece take some picrure when the weather starts warming up. and try to get some posted.

johnnyreb

Reaction score

The funny part about the accident is after I got it out. All I had on was one (1) sock and my under shorts. I used my cloths to fight it. Got a good bit of my beard burnt off,but it safed me from getting my skin burnt on it. I was told at the hospital I was lucky.

johnnyreb

Reaction score

Shaggy,are you still looking for a 78 bronco? Check out ---smartmotorguide.com--I saw 3 0r 4 78,s in Arizona .That are REASONABLELY PRICED. Plus from coast to coast. They have 1 really descent one in Arizona for $,3500. All I see wrong with the body .Was the grill bent some on the driver side grill. Rest looked straight.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Shaggy,are you still looking for a 78 bronco? Check out ---smartmotorguide.com--I saw 3 0r 4 78,s in Arizona .That are REASONABLELY PRICED. Plus from coast to coast. They have 1 really descent one in Arizona for $,3500. All I see wrong with the body .Was the grill bent some on the driver side grill. Rest looked straight.
It also has the sliding side window

Bill_Morgan

Reaction score
Welcome from a fellow long-time lurker of multiple boards and forums. I got my first car, a '49 Ford sedan, when I was 14 waaay back in 1964. Since then, I've had more than 500 vehicles and motorcycles, parts vehicles included, pass through my hands. The '92 Bronco I'm restoring now is only my second. The first was a six-cylinder '66 with the pickup cab, slower than molasses sliding down a window pane on the north side of a house in January.

phoenix86

Reaction score

I've got a '79 for sale that I purchased in '95 for my airport and boat launch vehicle. It sounds like it might be what you are looking for. Everything works but it needs some TLC from sitting in the hot desert sun for 25 years. It's up on classiccars.com if you're interested. I purchased a '96 several years ago thinking I would sell the '79, but I'm having a hard time letting go of it.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I've got a '79 for sale that I purchased in '95 for my airport and boat launch vehicle. It sounds like it might be what you are looking for. Everything works but it needs some TLC from sitting in the hot desert sun for 25 years. It's up on classiccars.com if you're interested. I purchased a '96 several years ago thinking I would sell the '79, but I'm having a hard time letting go of it.
Why don,t you post some pics of it and put it on the for sale section?

Popoagie6

Reaction score
I might sell my '95 XL 351 V8 Manual Bronco. Runs well and is said by Bronco enthusiasts to be "clean" inside. Hobbyists have tried to buy it from me as they say it will be "fun" to restore as it runs well and there aren't any nasty problems to solve. Trying to decide whether to sell as is or to invest in some shining up to get it accepted to a better auction site and bring home bigger dollars. I've had it for nearly 20 years as my only vehicle and have worked at home many of those years. I bought it when I temporarily needed a truck but used it when I probably should have bought an economy car as I was a working mom with one child. I only run it once in a while to keep everything lubricated and prevent the tires from getting wonky from sitting. I don't want to dump it for a small price as I need to replace it and this seems to be the time to sell. Currently trying to figure out whether it's better to invest a few thousand dollars in superficial improvements to get on the better auction sites for bigger dollars or just sell it as-is and hold out for a price I'm happy with. My mechanic is a restoration pro, and he claims that people only want to buy complete junkers they can totally restore or Broncos that have been gutted under the hood and modernized mechanically, with the inside and outside shined up to perfection. That doesn't seem realistic to me, considering the regular offers I've had when I've been more out in public than I am now. But, who am I to say? Maybe you have an opinion? It's an OJ car lookalike to the casual observer. I even had a homeless man ranting at me about how bad OJ was, as though I was OJ himself. I actually know someone who owned OJ's Bronco, by the way. It was for his Museum of Crime, but I think he shut it down and sold the vehicles. He also had Bonnie and Clyde's shot-up car.

Popoagie6

Reaction score
The funny part about the accident is after I got it out. All I had on was one (1) sock and my under shorts. I used my cloths to fight it. Got a good bit of my beard burnt off,but it safed me from getting my skin burnt on it. I was told at the hospital I was lucky.
Well, you certainly showed devotion to your vehicle. Glad you didn't get hurt worse. That's a pretty comical picture you paint, standing there in undies and one sock only, burnt beard and burnt skin. It's only funny when you don't think about your injuries, but you could put a caption under that and it would be appreciated by Bronco lovers everywhere.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Well, you certainly showed devotion to your vehicle. Glad you didn't get hurt worse. That's a pretty comical picture you paint, standing there in undies and one sock only, burnt beard and burnt skin. It's only funny when you don't think about your injuries, but you could put a caption under that and it would be appreciated by Bronco lovers everywhere.
Yes, I guess it was. Good thing I had under shorts on that day.hahahaha

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I might sell my '95 XL 351 V8 Manual Bronco. Runs well and is said by Bronco enthusiasts to be "clean" inside. Hobbyists have tried to buy it from me as they say it will be "fun" to restore as it runs well and there aren't any nasty problems to solve. Trying to decide whether to sell as is or to invest in some shining up to get it accepted to a better auction site and bring home bigger dollars. I've had it for nearly 20 years as my only vehicle and have worked at home many of those years. I bought it when I temporarily needed a truck but used it when I probably should have bought an economy car as I was a working mom with one child. I only run it once in a while to keep everything lubricated and prevent the tires from getting wonky from sitting. I don't want to dump it for a small price as I need to replace it and this seems to be the time to sell. Currently trying to figure out whether it's better to invest a few thousand dollars in superficial improvements to get on the better auction sites for bigger dollars or just sell it as-is and hold out for a price I'm happy with. My mechanic is a restoration pro, and he claims that people only want to buy complete junkers they can totally restore or Broncos that have been gutted under the hood and modernized mechanically, with the inside and outside shined up to perfection. That doesn't seem realistic to me, considering the regular offers I've had when I've been more out in public than I am now. But, who am I to say? Maybe you have an opinion? It's an OJ car lookalike to the casual observer. I even had a homeless man ranting at me about how bad OJ was, as though I was OJ himself. I actually know someone who owned OJ's Bronco, by the way. It was for his Museum of Crime, but I think he shut it down and sold the vehicles. He also had Bonnie and Clyde's shot-up car.
Well I have one 78 .That I have been replaceing all the wore out parts on it and it needs some body work and interior. About all the running gear and parts that make it run.Has been replaced and I wouldn,t sale it less then $7,000--if I was to sale it now. I have another 78 I,m getting ready to start working on it soon. Don,t let them tell you sad tales of what it needs and they don,t have that much. They THINK someone should give it to them. They don,t sale cheap.Miensk can help you their of the value.Good luck. Look on the internet and you,ll be surprised at what some are saleing high then othersand notice the area of where they are and what they are saling for in your area. Good luck

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke