Has Anyone Done A 4.6l Or 5.4l Coversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dicain

Reaction score
I have a 78 truck with a 351m400 and its getting tired.

so I've started looking at FI and more modern engines like 460 with efi but my friends lightning just got hit in the rear and is parting the front. and the motor is fine. so i'm looking for any info on the swap to the 5.4.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

John

I am restoring my 78 from the ground up, meaning every nut and bolt in the old girl as we speak and I went with a 351 windsor efi out of a 1996 standard pickup because it has the mass air flow function in the computer so you can play around a bit more with headers and exhaust also chipping the engine is better to, along with an older aod (auto) transmission and used the original 205 transfer case. The only tricky part is knowing someone that can decipher electronic schematics for the efi other then that it was quite easy actually. I'm also using 456 richmond gears, this should give me approximately 1900 rpm's at 100 kilometers an hour or 62 mph in english, using 37 inch bfg's on 17 inch rims I did put a kit in the tranny and am adding a cooler also. I hope to have the best of both worlds when i'm done and be able to pass a gas station at the same time. Any other info email me at [email protected]

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire
Reaction score
This was asked earlier, but fitting a modular engine to your Bronco, while not impossible, won't be cheap, or that economical. Not only will you need the engine, wiring harness and computer, you'll also need the transmission, Tcase, and rear axle from the same donor

If I were you, I'd build that engine to a 408... you might be surprised with the power difference

highboy73

FORDing thru life
Reaction score
if no one ever tries it,how will it ever get done.

i think that it would be an excellant swap,been thinking about it for awhile now.

the problem for me is too many irons in the fire.

I'd try it if i were you,might want to research a little,doesn't mean you can't start getting things together.

351m/400's weren't very good motors new,so why would you want to rebuild one?

billybroncojr

Reaction score
I'd go with the 5.4 swap. The big problem is the tranny/tcase issue. It would be easier to run an injected 351 or 460,

but that's why we do this isn't it, to say we did!

I just picked up a 79 short bed. I plan on using it as is with the 300 to plow snow this winter. My buddy parted out a van with an injected 351 in it. I have a injected 302 that I was going to use, but the 351 sounds better for this project.

There is no replacement for cubic inches, but there is a lot that can be done with injection and the new Ford v-8's.

Later,

Jeff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23