Gear Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
So The Beast needs gear oil in the rear. I thought it hasen't been changed since I owned it, so I would do a drain and refill. I have seen nothing but synthetic gear **** in the parts stores, (and I'm a dino, and prefer their oil) so the question...is synthetic ok for The Beast? (96 5.0 EB) Can I just drain and refil? How about posi additive? I used it with all the old stuff I used to run, ( 69 Camaro, Firebirds, Bigblock trucks) but all the new synthetic stuff has my head spinning. I hear it's ok to use and mix with dino oil...NO don't mix it..Don't use synthetic at all.

I trust your opinions.....what do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Ron...., IMHO,

I'm with you.., I sucked out the old juice, put in the tube of additive, & filled with 80W-90 gear oil. (I do have posi & it felt like it worked better with the new/clean ****)

HOWEVER., the syn's are great where recommended. If there's a syn out there that says it formulated to use in a posi unit (or comes with additive)., I wouldn't mind trying it. (after a bit of research)

I use Castrol Syntec Blend in my EB ENGINE & it works better than anything I've tried.

It's part syn & part dino... "mix"..!

Castrol (& other brands) have an 800# on the back of the bottle.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo RON,

This is by Ford and brought out in da open by a group of Fold fixers;

Lubricant And Maintenance Materials Specifications & Capacity Charts for 96 Bronco, F-150, F-250, F-350 & F-Super Duty

Ford Axles (Conventional and Limited-Slip) b c Premium Rear Axle Lubricant

Ford Part Number XY-90-QL

Ford Specification ESP-M2C154-A

b For Ford design rear axles: add 4 oz. of Friction Modifier C8AZ-19B546-A (EST-M2C118-A) for complete refill of 8.8-inch ring gear limited slip rear axles.

c Synthetic High Performance Rear Axle Lubricant F1TZ-19580-B (WSL-M2C192-A) may be substituted but only after axle assembly is completely drained.

Fluid Change & RockCrusher Cover Installation in a 96 w/parts & tool list

Source: by boss (bossind, Steve)

Also check vent rubber tube; some get dislodged from fitting on driver's side of axle tube

Ford advises; "plugged axle vent will cause excessive seal lip wear due to internal pressure buildup. When a leak occurs, check the vent which is located near the top of the differential housing. Make sure the vent hose is not kinked. Remove the vent hose from the vent ****** and make sure the hose is clear of dirt or other foreign materials. While hose is removed, pass a length of mechanics' wire or small diameter Allen wrench in and out of the vent ****** to clean it of any dirt or foreign materials. Install vent hose."

Some off-roaders or owners who live in flood prone areas extend the vent line

such as;

Vent Line Extension Installation w/filters in a 96; Dana 44 & 8.8"

Source: by vegasbronco1 at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/9065/33043

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/306267

Vent Line Extension Installation w/filters in a 95; Dana 44, 1356 transfer case & 8.8"

Source: by Pepper (J A F O, Big Pig) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/37/14315

Vent Line Extension in a 96 w/filters; "...Top of E4OD with extended breather line. Had to grind it a little for the tube to fit. The filters i put on the breather lines. One has the two differentials and the other has the transmission/transfer case.."

Source: by 96broncoman at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/7622/55540

GL!

OP
OP
Rons beast

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Got the job done. thanks again for all the input.

FYI permatex makes a sealer specifically for gear ****. "Gear **** Sealer" (DUH!)

It chemically blends with gear **** and stops leaks as well. It's so hard to get the surfaces so clean for other sealers.This stuff allows any residue on the surfaces to be absorbed. Assures no leaks. Great stuff!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj