FYI - Yukon Axles and Replacing u-joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
This is a FYI to help if you buy these...

I got the new Yukon axles for my front D60. I noticed these shafts have raised humps on the ears of the axle :blink: .

(see photos)

When pressing the u-joint out with sockets (like normal) the axle will tilt to one side causing the u-joint to also **** at an angle due to the humps. I have a 12 ton shop press and have replaced u-joints for over 15 years without problems. Never seen an axle shaft that wasn't flat for a socket to fit on. :rolleyes:

I then added some shims to level the axle with the socket. The u-joint came out but also ground metal and chipped the inside. @-) ***** now that new shaft is wasted! :-& #036;

I then needed to take off the stub shaft and decided to use a hammer this time.

Got the one cap out and now the u-joint was loose inside the axle and has to be pressing from inside out.

This is where the problem happens. Ever time I hammer it ***** around and will not center.

After several failed attempts a light bulb went off in my head! :blink: Why not grind down the socket so it fits the humps!?. b-( It presses out prefectly... Don't trust your eyeballs for levelness! I ran to Randy's Ring & Pinion with the messed up shaft and they said they use a hammer to replace u-joints due to the raised humps. I told them about the socket I made and all they said was "hey, thats a great idea". Anyway, they gave me new axles and a u-joint due to the problem. >

Now with the socket ground in those areas it pressed in and out perfectly. Had to test it a few times to feel good about it... :wacko:

Yukon_Shafts_008.jpg

Yukon_Shafts_010.jpg

Yukon_Shafts_011.jpg

Yukon_Shafts_012.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23