Fuel Storage Longevity on STABIL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ablediver

Reaction score
Quick question: I'm looking to get some figures on longest time period of safe fuel storage when treated with STABIL on a full tank (32 gallons). I've heard varying time lengths . Appreciate the replies.

Ablediver out

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I have gone 2 years without a problem. Never tried longer yet.

OP
OP
A

ablediver

Reaction score
OK. Thanks, I usually empty out the tank on it in about six months, I've gone longer this time around. I appreciate the reply.

Ablediver out

goodO1boydws

Reaction score
Quick question: I'm looking to get some figures on longest time period of safe fuel storage when treated with STABIL on a full tank (32 gallons). I've heard varying time lengths . Appreciate the replies.

Ablediver out
Had similar timespan results to Tiha here in my B2-which takes a long time to go through a tank when its only driven occasionally, (or when down with issues for long periods of time).
I've taken to including it perfunctorily in the blend of oil/gas for things like chainsaws and weed whackers for insurance, rather than dumping "aged" unused mix.

In the future, just be sure to use the correct STABIL formula fro the Bronc-they have more than one.

(I'd still add a can of Berryman B-12 Chemtool or something similar shortly before starting it, after a long layup.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

ablediver

Reaction score
Good01boydws,
Appreciate the reply. The 90' Bronc sat in storage being used 4-5 times a year at around one tank of fuel each trip. It's got near a full tank in it right now. I'm going to charge the A/C , charge the batt, and a few minor repairs before I put the 96' Bronc in drydock for some much needed maintenance. Thanks again,

Ablediver out

BentSpurs

Reaction score
Wasn't in a Bronco but a '78 Chris-Craft w a 50 gallon tank of two-year old treated gasoline. Burned it. Had to change the fuel filter a couple of times in between runs and kept adding fresh. Old gas, comm'l disposal service=$$$$

OP
OP
A

ablediver

Reaction score
Copy that on the Octane boost. I used to run premium, but it's cheaper now to run basement unleaded and $20 of octane boost. The pony will love the Octane boost. Anybody have their favorites ? .....

Ablediver out

chrlsful

Reaction score
"...be sure to use the correct STABIL formula...
YES, as in % according to gas.
Around the same time I started noticing our changing climate the plow truck would no longer start after it's long summer nap (Y2K). I knew no thing bout 'more ETHO in the gas'. Correct, some evap from the Carter YF every yr but a massage of the gass pedel usually got it started on 3rd or 4th try. Now w/the stable (I see 1 other co now days) no problems. All the other equip I just refuse the last fill up'n run dry performing the job. This is a budget operation and stable goes to the hrd to devarnish or expensive stuff.

Last edited:

goodO1boydws

Reaction score
"...be sure to use the correct STABIL formula...
YES, as in % according to gas.
Around the same time I started noticing our changing climate the plow truck would no longer start after it's long summer nap (Y2K). I knew no thing bout 'more ETHO in the gas'. Correct, some evap from the YF every yr but a massage of the gass pedel usually got it started on 3rd or 4th try. Now w/the stable (I see 1 other co now days) no problems. All the other equip I just refuse the last fill up'n run dry performing the job. This is a budget operation and stable goes to the hrd to devarnish or expensive stuff.

Actually, I meant to use their original RED formula, that they advertise as protecting up to 2 years.

They also have the "360" orange-ish formula for daily use, that only protects up to 1 year.
Their green/blue formula is for MARINE engines.
There's even a YELLOW product that is especially for DIESEL engines.

https://www.goldeagle.com/brands/sta-bil/ https://www.sta-bil.com.au/products

OP
OP
A

ablediver

Reaction score
Good01boydws,

Copy that.... I've been using the RED formula, so that works out good.I've never seen the ORANGE item, the truck could have sat for a while between visits---good to know. I've never used the BLUE /GREEN in my marine engines (4-stroke gas) OOPS!. As far as the YELLOW, I've never seen that either. We had a 4-53 Detroit (straight exhaust) in one of the dive boats that we used SeaFoam in, with good results. You couldn't destroy that thing, even though I tried (LOL).

Ablediver out

69Lover

Reaction score
Good01boydws,
Appreciate the reply. The 90' Bronc sat in storage being used 4-5 times a year at around one tank of fuel each trip. It's got near a full tank in it right now. I'm going to charge the A/C , charge the batt, and a few minor repairs before I put the 96' Bronc in drydock for some much needed maintenance. Thanks again,

Ablediver out
Able, deep sea?

goodO1boydws

Reaction score
Somehow I didn't connect the Ablediver moniker.

A tip of the hat for your lifesaving-oriented endeavors.

My brother would say: you can get away with forgetting the Marine STABIL...just don't forget your diver down flags!

He's a type A, double pensioner-lifer Coastie (Lt. Com., cert as SCUBA and hardhat dive instructor and also did underwater welding and recovery) plus retired grade school science teacher. And still pleasure diving at 72.

OP
OP
A

ablediver

Reaction score
Good01boydws,
You're welcome, I was glad to do it.I've always said, "there's no such thing as a bad day of diving, some days are just better than others."

Ablediver out

OP
OP
A

ablediver

Reaction score
Heck no. It just puts things in perspective. I can remember one of many days where I'm timing like six (6) foot swells to back roll off the gunwale, and I'm thinking --"this sure beats doing paperwork" LOL!

BTW--that your dog? --nice looking shepherd.

Ablediver out

goodO1boydws

Reaction score
(Or mowing, sez I.)

That's Destiny about age 2, who died earlier this year at 11-1/2, looking nearly the same-and still acting like a puppy.

She was the last (so far) in a 40+ year string of rescued black and tan female shepherds (and also several cats) we've had in our menagerie. At the moment we have a 50# fem. Boxer mix (Destiny's buddy), and a recently adopted 35# fem Whippet mix-and 2 older shorthair cats left.

OP
OP
A

ablediver

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your loss. Losing a pet is losing a member of the family. Sounds like you've got a good herd on hand.

Ablediver out

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK