Fuel pump wont run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks man hope your eyes are doing well! I've got a powertrain control module with the matching numbers coming from a truck with the same drivetrain 5.0 with the e4od. Should be in before 7 this evening, looking forward to it! I'll check these guys out because I want to get my module rebuilt if possible to have one in the glove box for a spare
YO J,
YW & good fortune!

OP
OP
JGarris95XLT

JGarris95XLT

Reaction score
Okay I'm back to Jay 25. I went ahead and got a new O2 sensor cuz I wasn't sure if I was reading my ohm meter right. About to see if I'm got power to it and then go back to figure it out how to check all these different grounds that I can't find and where there is a short circuit

OP
OP
JGarris95XLT

JGarris95XLT

Reaction score
I've got 8.6 volts at the yellow and white wire and 9.1 at the orange and black at the connector harness immediately before the pump. I can't find anything else wrong. I can't find a short anywhere. If I understand correctly that g100 ground is only ground I should be worried about, I have continuity from the top of the tank to the ground pin on the harness immediately before the pump.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,
Where did you find the wiring colors?
Screenshot_20210807-090617_Chrome.jpg

Many times, the Ford fuel pump hanger/sender assemblies are frequently found with extensive corrosion on the cover and on the metal tubes. Over time, the terminals can loosen and cause intermittent loss of continuity. Erratic reading of the fuel sender level is one of the other problems that could occur.

How to Test the Ford Fuel Pump Relay @ Part 1 -How to Test the Ford Fuel Pump Relay (Green Relay)

Last edited:
OP
OP
JGarris95XLT

JGarris95XLT

Reaction score
Yo,
View attachment 28226

Many times, the Ford fuel pump hanger/sender assemblies are frequently found with extensive corrosion on the cover and on the metal tubes. Over time, the terminals can loosen and cause intermittent loss of continuity. Erratic reading of the fuel sender level is one of the other problems that could occur.

How to Test the Ford Fuel Pump Relay @ Part 1 -How to Test the Ford Fuel Pump Relay (Green Relay)
Mine has the relay in the Box. I've already swapped over the horn relay to make sure that it all works. I've got 12 volts to the terminal to the passenger side and negative on the battery. I know this is something dumb that I'm probably stepping right over but I've done everything step by step

OP
OP
JGarris95XLT

JGarris95XLT

Reaction score
Yo,
View attachment 28226

I'm about to hotwire it. Straight from the positive terminal to the I guess pink and black wire with a toggle switch in between by my seat lol. If this is a bad idea please let me know if haha

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yo J,
What engine and trams do you have in the 95?
For a YARD SEARCH on-line, I use;
Hollander Quality Replacement Parts | Find Used Auto Parts | Online Locator
A yard that uses Hollander Interchange can search other yards and have it shipped including some Canadian yards.
"...For over eighty years, Hollander has been making the best tool for fast, interchangeable part matches. The new Edition Hollander Interchange contains more interchangeable options than ever before.
The Hollander Interchange provides auto recyclers and auto collectors, rebuilders, and others with the easiest and most comprehensive solution for identifying interchangeable auto parts..." See their yard Directory @ Seller Directory | Used Auto Parts | Hollanderparts
Can select a certain part, such as in this instance,

Search By: 1995 >Ford > Bronco > Electrical > Engine Ecm > Fitment​

View attachment 28200or contact autocomputerexchange.com for rebuilding your EEC AS LONG AS CIRCUIT BOARD IS N0T B

johnnyreb

Reaction score
JG, its real easy to over look something. What I do is write a list of what to check and mark each one off the list as I check things. Maybe its the gauge you are using that is not accurate Maybe a wire is not good quality--like copper. I noticed my park lights on the front was not very bright. I checked the sockets (new)wire(new copper) ground(all the paint was cleaned off) new bulbs(THE I DECIDED TO CHECK THEM. I put each contact on the positive post. The signal part was BRIGHT. I checked the park light side-DIM. THE CHINA MADE BULBS ARE JUNK. Good luck and I hope you find the trouble soon.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I just remembered the fuel gauge did peg out once or twice a day or so before the breakdown.

Broke down at highway speed. Engine shut off, that was it.
Found that the front two bolts holding up the tank had apparently backed out, causing tank to sag. There wasn't much fuel in it, so I jumped to the conclusion that the pump had to have gone out.

Secured the tank.
Cut access (need to find the best way to cover that back.)

Installed new pump

Swapped relay, good.
Connections at relay look good.

Pump still won't prime or anything.

KOEO codes 542 and 543.

New battery.
Is it a AIRTEX FUEL PUMP? If so. That is probably your problem. I went through 5 before I got one that worked and it only started my truck 1--(ONE TIME) I,d check the old pump and see if its pumping. then the NEW ONE. Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar