fuel issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimdd810

Reaction score
I have a 1988 ford bronco II 2.9L 4x4.

I have a problem with it just quiting once in awhile. Last time it did it I checked for spark and it has great spark. checked fuel pressure and there was none. The question is which fule pump is the culperate. Low pressure in the tank or high pressure in the frame rail? I know its not the relay because i can here the pumps come on at least one of them. help?

Yardape

Reaction score
If you have a manual or access to one it will show you how to short out the pumps to test if they are working. I really dont know how to explain it other than get a manual. Its a very basic procedure, you unhook the fuel lines to the pump on the frail rail, perform the test it tells you how much fuel it should pump in a minute type thing. I would bet you the in tank pump is gone so do the test on that one first. Good luck looking forward to hearing back on your progress

Big Country

Reaction score
when you say every once in a while does that mean every other time you drive it or is it happeneing every time? Do months go by before it quits. It sounds like the fuel pump to the tank. like the guy above said check that one first.

CraigK

Reaction score
This hasn't happened to me, but I've heard of it, and it might be something to check out. These gas tanks rust out and become filled with loose coarse rust. Under certain conditions (more pronounced when fuel level is low) the rust can block the low pressure pump intake. Solution is replacing the tank. A clue might be changing the fuel filter and cutting open the old one to check for rust fines.

Best of Luck.

CraigK

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj