1986 B2 2.9L - Fuel pump relay wiring issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Jbrownjr

Reaction score
(Sigh...)
After replacing the wiring harness we spent a lot of time troubleshooting potential electrical connection issues. I removed the electrical tape and plastic casing to expose most of the wires. When we exhausted other troubleshooting, I tucked those wires together along the path they were designed to follow. (i.e. wire ties to clean things up a bit) That was the biggest difference. Then (with fingers crossed) I replaced the plastic casing and routed the wiring harness snugly along it's original path and it's been running great ever since. 🤷‍♂️

I've tugged on those wires pretty hard (anticipating a short at some point) to no avail. Last week I replaced the power steering control box. Bleeding the system included 'turn the key for a few seconds to get fluid moving into the control box, but don't start the car'. ('Disconnect the starter'...but I didn't bother. Too lazy 😁) Within 1 second of turning the key she fires up and runs quiet. It was below freezing...and she still starts and runs reliably.
It's been a few years of off-and-on troubleshooting. We replaced just about every solenoid, switch and electrical connector along the way - many a few times (under warranty). So logic would suggest there's a short somewhere that I've managed to close by tidying up those wires. It may rear it's ugly head again at some point (or never!). With all the new electronic parts - I'm feeling pretty confident she's a reliable vehicle once again.

Planning on a ~2 hour drive up to McCall, ID next weekend. We'll see how she does. 🤞

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22