Fuel gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jordan623

Reaction score
My 93 bronco xlt the fuel gauge stopped working pretty recent, when the truck is off it sits at 1/4 tank and when I turn it over it sinks to E and stays there. Anyone know how to fix?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Jordan,
Testing in a 96; "...I had the fuel gauge pegs past E . Due to gas logged float..."
Source: by wood4d at FSB

Testing & Connector Pin-Outs in 92-96 Bronco; Sender Range: Full = 160 Ohms; Empty = 16 Ohms; "... gauge that pegs past full indicates an open circuit (broken wire; unplugged connector; corroded terminal; burned sender) on the Y/W wire.

gauge that pegs past empty indicates a short to ground (pinched to the frame, body, or dash supports) on the Y/W wire, OR a sunk float.
gauge anywhere in between that doesn't move indicates an open circuit (blown fuse; corroded terminal) on the power (battery) side of the gauge OR a bad instrument cluster ground at C251 pin 9. The terminals of C251 (& C250) are known to corrode & lose contact. Polish both the connector pins AND the film circuit pads with brown paper or a pink eraser. The larger version of C441(WPT454) was used until 93. The level sender can usually be disassembled & repaired by bending the wiper arm inside the plastic housing to apply slightly more force..."

Cclvestri wrote,
After taking the tank out of my 1993 Bronco for the third time to replace the brass float, I bought a handful of other floats via eBay and checked each one for proper fitment. I can verify that each of the following fit and work perfectly on the stock Ford sender float arm. I ended up putting the solid version in the tank when putting it together for the last time and still have the other parts set aside for future projects.

Searching eBay or Google for any of the following will get you what you need. If you have any questions, PM me.

Omix-Ada 17729.01 (Jeep 55-83 Cj5 68-75 Cj6 76-86 Cj7)
Fuel Sender Float Jeep: 17729.01
Fits Following Models:CJ3 / CJ5 / CJ5 / CJ6 / CJ5 / CJ7 / CJ7 CJ-2. CJ-2 / CJ-3. CJ-3. CJ-3 / CJ-5

Fuel Tank Float, Solid Design, Ford & Mercury, 1959-1972
Brand: Premier Quality Products
Model Year Range: 1957 - 1959 Full Size Ford
Manufacturer Part Number: 49-44345-1

Stewart Warner Manufacturer Part Number: 68-9275-S
For all 49-72 Ford, Mercury & Lincoln models

Fuel Tank Float, Solid Design, Ford & Mercury, 1959-1972 41-88693-1
Ford Falcon 1959-1972
Brand: Premier Quality Products
Manufacturer Part Number: 41-88693-1

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Quick easy place to start, unplug your harness from the fuel tank. See if the reading changes.

I believe it should peg gauge to full.

If it does, your problem is most likely in the tank

If no change. The the problem is between the dash and the tank. Start your pin out process as previously posted.

sinker4

Reaction score
My 93 bronco xlt the fuel gauge stopped working pretty recent, when the truck is off it sits at 1/4 tank and when I turn it over it sinks to E and stays there. Anyone know how to fix?
Mine was a bad float, I filled the tank and then checked the ohms reading coming out of the tank. It showed empty.There are four wires two for the fuel pump and two for the gauge. Steve 83 has instruction on how to cut an access panel in the floor so you can gett at the pump/sending unit without dropping the gas tank. try to google him. I'll look to see if I saved the instructions

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
How much gas do you think you have in the tank?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar