Front end squealing

Joebone

I have a horrible squealing sound coming from what seems to be the front end. It starts above 10mph and increases in frequency with speed. The only thing I know is it not the brakes. Two different shops have been unable to replicate the sound once they get the vehicle up in the air. I am getting desperate and any advice is greatly appreciated.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Yo Joe,
  • Power Steering or Accessory Belt Squealing
  • Check belt for proper tension or glazing. For C-II pump, the pump would be damaged due to excessive fluid temperatures of 149°C (300°F) or higher. Dark fluid with a burnt smell will confirm.
  • TIGHTEN or REPLACE belt as required. REFER to Section 03-05.For CII pump, REPLACE pump and PURGE old fluid. ADD Motorcraft MERCON ® ATF XT-2-QDX or MERCON® equivalent.
Drive Belt squeal is an intermittent noise that occurs when the drive belt slips on a pulley during certain conditions such as: engine start-up, rapid engine acceleration, or A/C clutch engagement.
Drive belt squeal can occur under the following conditions:
  1. If the A/C discharge pressure goes above 2895 kPa (420 psi). This can occur if:
    1. The A/C system is overcharged.
    1. The A/C condenser core airflow is blocked.
    1. The fan blade (8600) is not engaging fully at idle.

chrlsful

if it can't B reproduced @ garage, just like da doc's, its hrd to diagnose. For us, remotely, may B even tougher. Try'n locate exact place/source. Some take a 1, 2 ft length of hose, put it to the ear'n move the other end around to listen. B careful of moving parts, they can hurt...
Drive by some1 at curb side? We would sit a guy on the hood some times...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jlyon693