First major welding project--Deer proofed the front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncosaurus!

Reaction score
Made it to mow down trees, deer, construction barrels, small children, anything that gets in the way. 5/8 in grade 8 bolts in the front, and 1/2 in for the side mounts. Weighs a ton, 2x6in 1/4 in wall steel for the main spar and 3/16 in wall 1 in square tubing for the rest.

PICT0086.JPG

IMG_0782.JPG

IMG_0780.JPG

IMG_0783.JPG

IMG_0781.JPG

Roadkill

Reaction score
Wow, that is one big bumper! Looks like it would be good to deal with the import tuner crowd in Killeen >:)

OP
OP
Broncosaurus!

Broncosaurus!

Reaction score
You should weld spikes to it, then mount a .50 cal on the roof
I did talk about welding spikes on it so I could hit deer and have them stick to the front of it, but I thought that was a bit morbid and I really don't hate deer THAT much.

And the best part is I never used a level, eye balled the whole thing, and I only say that because after I did it all, I checked it with a level and the ol' eye ball is right on.

Justbust1n

Reaction score
i used the same type of 2x6x1/4 tubing for the base on mine and i can hit Anything with it and no dents so a deer wont stand a chance hahaha

IMG_1118.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

redneckpunk

Reaction score
I do hate deer that much. I want spikes and big ones lol .

sorry just resentfull i traded my firebird for my 89 bronco

and the same day I put my 31" thornbirds on (3 days after

I got the truck) a dumb deer walked out in front of a very large

and very loud bronco. He eliminated the chrome grill and both headlights.

luckly my friend is a truckdriver and his f-150 was in his yard here in michigan

when he was was in texas needless to say he wasnot happy with me when he got home.

ps his truck got repoed 2 days after he got home luckly for me..lol

<)
>:)

Justbust1n

Reaction score
Justbust1 how did you mount yours to the frame?
these r the time i miss my camera !!!! i had two big angle iron flanges i had welded to the inside of the bumper .... i had to cut off the existing angel iron flanges that come from the factory but sure not to cut to mu because i wanted to use the frame .... then i drilled two 3/4 inch holes back to back with about a 2 inch spacing and i mounted it up to the inside then i welded a bolt to the top of the frome and had to put it on from the top it has three bolts in all holdin it on about one inch thick .... i had just the two bolts on the frame at first , but it keep slouchin down ... so later i put a bolt on top and a ****** to reinforce the bumper up top for those hard winchin times... you can kinda see what i am talkin about in the picture

IMG_1119.jpg

Yardape

Reaction score
Broncosaurus, your front frame is different from justbustin, his mounts to a flat surface, yours is on a bad angle.

OP
OP
Broncosaurus!

Broncosaurus!

Reaction score
Yeah thats why I mounted mine to the top part of the frame where it is flat, and for better approach angles. I need some sort of skid plate for the bottom like this one:

broncotrip004.jpg

Justbust1n

Reaction score
Broncosaurus, your front frame is different from justbustin, his mounts to a flat surface, yours is on a bad angle.
yeah i cut those stock flanges off .... but i have actually put a ***** and welded another ****** to the bumper ... so ill have more support on the top of the frame ill get a pic on here soon

Justbust1n

Reaction score
yeah i cut those stock flanges off .... but i have actually put a ***** and welded another ****** to the bumper ... so ill have more support on the top of the frame ill get a pic on here soon, i hit a 4 inch tree with it last weekend and not even a dent!!! i was even drunk enough to uuhhh oppps TMI ... i mean uhhhh i was even wanting to try to see if i actually could run it over but no dice just spun the tires and wanted to stop while i was ahead

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire
Reaction score
Holy massive bumper, batman!

This is as big as I've ever built -

9.jpg

But wait, it moves too!

6.jpg

If I can offer some constructive criticism, I would seriously consider re-doing those bumper mounts. I strongly suggest using shaped plate, with gussets. Shaped, to follow the frame profile, and the gussets because... well, with a bumper that big, you're going to need it.

Justbust1n

Reaction score
Holy massive bumper, batman!
This is as big as I've ever built -

9.jpg

But wait, it moves too!

6.jpg

If I can offer some constructive criticism, I would seriously consider re-doing those bumper mounts. I strongly suggest using shaped plate, with gussets. Shaped, to follow the frame profile, and the gussets because... well, with a bumper that big, you're going to need it.
i would have yah beat but you got me on the tubing around the front