Engine Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

walkdawg

Reaction score
I would like to get more Hp pluse more torque. I also do not want to really lose the mpg. I was thinking I could swap out my 302 efi with a 351 efi and I would be able to do this. I know the 351 is bigger but it would not have to turn as hard as the 302 to move the Bronco. Tell me what you all think??

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Believe it or not, the 302 has only about 20 HP less than the 351W. I think your year model's biggest problem with lack of power is the AOD transmission. While I am not suggesting a tranny swap, look at upgrading the AOD with a shift kit or aftermarket torque converter. And you can get up to 400HP from a 302 V8 with moderate changes like a cam and heads. I would not do an engine swap unless the mill was shot, and even then I would look at rebuilding what you have.

OP
OP
walkdawg

walkdawg

Reaction score
Any suggestions on a shift kit I was looking at a few and was not sure would work best for me. I do drive it every day to work. Its my DD for now. I am thinking of getting me a small truck to drive as a dd. but anyway. on the tranny build up could you give me some ideas what to look at? Thanks!!

R

runuovr

400 hp w/ moderate changes ???? :^o You don't need no stinkin overdrive...C-6 it !

hawk2100n

Wants Overdrive
Reaction score
5.0 is a really good motor. a 351 is just a bored and stroked 5.0, basically. that motor has a ton of aftermarket parts that you could easily carry over from mustangs that would put some serious boost in power and torque.

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Up to 400 HP, for real. not talking about nitrous or a blower, just headwork and internals. YOu can also buy a Ford crate 302 with nearly 400HP. 0:)

Bronco_In_Ny

Reaction score
Well the Blocks are alittle Diffrent between the 302 and 351, not by much mind you but there is a Diffrence. A 351 can be Stroked and bored alot more then a 302,

OP
OP
walkdawg

walkdawg

Reaction score
IF i can get up to 400 hp ut of a 302 what it the best way for me to make this happen. I can do most of the work myself. I have been working and repacing parts on cars and things for years but never really got into changing things to make it better. I would like some suggestions on what to do that would help me get good hp with more torque. Thanks for the help. I am going to be rebuilding my tranny and putting in a shift kit soon. So give me the ideas for more power.

Justshootme84

Reaction score
"Stroker" kit =s a bigger-than-stock crankshaft to get a longer stroke on the pistons. Do that with aftermarkets heads and camshaft. There is alot of good info on this subject at Ford Truck Enthusiasts (www.ford-trucks.com) in their engine forums.

freak

Reaction score
You can buy a stroker kit that already comes with the crank piston's and rod's.They even give you a template for the block that let's you know where you have to grind it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula