Electronic delema

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
This one has me puzzled... <_<

Another wheeler had the stock ignition. Older rig with the ballast resister (newer rigs have a resister wire) upstream of the coil. (4-6 V going to coil as req.)

On several occasions his coil heated up & the eng. quit. Installed spare coil & off we went.

Disgusted with this..., he installed a "brand new" DUI system. This req. +-14V to the new distributor, so, the resister was eliminated. (At some point he installed a 1-wire alternator as well)

Long/short he's burned the electronic box on top of the dist. twice now..., & working on burning a third... :angry: :unsure:

I'm having him test the alt. to see if it's spiking voltage at some point but this, I would think, would have a neg. effect on other systems as well...? :unsure:

Any ideas...? B)

Bob

Seabronc

Reaction score
Right off, the only thing I can think of is too high a voltage from the alternator. What type does he have? 1G, 2G, 3G?

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
B

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
-Update-

Alternator

It's a 100amp 1 wire recommended to go with dual Bat. With an isolator for the winch.

Performance distributors (the supplier) is having him test the module at Auto Zone... after frying 2 & soon, a 3rd. I don't see what that will show, but we'll see. Can't fathom 3 bad modules in a row...?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23