Electrical issue has me stumped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yeah, that doesn't surprise me, they are still pretty easy to find, but they are dinosaurs compared to the motor packages you can drop in these days.
You can get a 5.0L coyote and drop it into just about anything and it's a nasty motor.
The 460 is still a great option, you just have to be mindful of what heads you’re putting on the motor. There are some great heads and some really bad ones that just rob the engine of a lot of power.
I'm very happy with my 460, it'll snap your head back and it doesn’t bog down in thick mud like that old 351M did. I'm a big fan of the 429/460.
On these 4 wheel trails. I don,t understand why someone would want a 500 hp motor. That,s more for going fast ,plus gas to run it is expensive. The fancy gadgets to make it work is weak and trobulesome. I remember watching a mud race in Florida once. Most had big motors ,but what WON the race was a 4 cylinder jeep. He wasn,t over powered. They were. Like being in rock climbimg. You can have too much power. I think some just wants big motors. That little 300 six has out proven them all for being tough--easy to work on,easy on gas,more room to work around. I don,t have one either,but just my opinion. Those big block and newer motors are expensive to buy parts for.

OP
OP
Zeus78

Zeus78

Reaction score
On these 4 wheel trails. I don,t understand why someone would want a 500 hp motor. That,s more for going fast ,plus gas to run it is expensive. The fancy gadgets to make it work is weak and trobulesome. I remember watching a mud race in Florida once. Most had big motors ,but what WON the race was a 4 cylinder jeep. He wasn,t over powered. They were. Like being in rock climbimg. You can have too much power. I think some just wants big motors. That little 300 six has out proven them all for being tough--easy to work on,easy on gas,more room to work around. I don,t have one either,but just my opinion. Those big block and newer motors are expensive to buy parts for.
I think there is a sweet spot when it comes to hp and tq. I think 350-400hp and 400-500lbft of tq will be a good combo for just about any type of off roading as long as you control it.
You don't need 400hp for rock crawling, but if you're going through thick mud, you will want good momentum and power/tq to keep the tires going.
But also, our dentside trucks are really heavy, so having extra power in the bank is nice to have.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I think there is a sweet spot when it comes to hp and tq. I think 350-400hp and 400-500lbft of tq will be a good combo for just about any type of off roading as long as you control it.
You don't need 400hp for rock crawling, but if you're going through thick mud, you will want good momentum and power/tq to keep the tires going.
But also, our dentside trucks are really heavy, so having extra power in the bank is nice to have.
I just thought it was funny. That little Jeep out did all those hp fancy racers.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I just thought it was funny. That little Jeep out did all those hp fancy racers.
I try to avoid bad places back in the mountains . When I go their. Most of the time--25 miles from no where--your on your own and if trouble happens--you get yourself out. Plus muddy water is ******* parts and causes alot of electrical ,mechanical problems and costs alot of money to fix it. This forum proves that.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yeah, but there are a lot of times where the Big hp trucks dominated. Traction, size and skill are the biggest factors.
yes, but they were getting paid for it. Had a neighbor. Who really liked the big v10,s He went through them like water through a funnel. I,m talked about 6 in a year. I told him it didn,t sound like a good motor Ford put out. With the problems others have had to. I ,d steer from them and find a v-8 with a good reputation and reliability. I stay away from 428 .For the fact their cyclider walls are thin as paper. but like you I like big motors-except the known ones was to cause problems all the time. I was young one time too and hard head ,haha

OX1

Reaction score
I have never messed with a coyote motor, but I've seen a lot of swap and tech videos and I've seen where even Chevy guys are impressed with the technology it has. It's internals and block design are amazing.
I guess it's a wider motor, so a lot of people will go with an LS set up in their hot rods, since it's narrower, but if you're doing an old car and want a modern touch, the coyote is a great option.

It's really not. It's as big as a big block, but a mildy built 460 will put out almost 200 ft-lbs more torque than a coyote.
Even a 408 W will be 150 ft-lbs more than a coyote at the same RPM. Nothing wrong with the coyote, great engine in a Stang. Just not a great
truck motor.

OP
OP
Zeus78

Zeus78

Reaction score
It's really not. It's as big as a big block, but a mildy built 460 will put out almost 200 ft-lbs more torque than a coyote.
Even a 408 W will be 150 ft-lbs more than a coyote at the same RPM. Nothing wrong with the coyote, great engine in a Stang. Just not a great
truck motor.
I was thinking more along the lines of an early bronco. I've now seen two with coyote motors and it got me thinking that might be a good option for me whenever I get the chance to do an EB.
It wouldn't make much sense in a 78/79.

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
The best engine we ever dropped in a 79 was a 400 hp Crate 6.6 we ordered through Summit Racing. Not too much for a daily driver. Gets 8 mpg, well this Bronco does. My buddy has one with about the same engine and gets closer to 15 mpg, but he is running 31” tires not 35’s. To me it was worth every penny, if I need another one would not hesitate to do it again

johnnyreb

Reaction score
yes, but they were getting paid for it. Had a neighbor. Who really liked the big v10,s He went through them like water through a funnel. I,m talked about 6 in a year. I told him it didn,t sound like a good motor Ford put out. With the problems others have had to. I ,d steer from them and find a v-8 with a good reputation and reliability. I stay away from 428 .For the fact their cyclider walls are thin as paper. but like you I like big motors-except the known ones was to cause problems all the time. I was young one time too and hard head ,hah

The best engine we ever dropped in a 79 was a 400 hp Crate 6.6 we ordered through Summit Racing. Not too much for a daily driver. Gets 8 mpg, well this Bronco does. My buddy has one with about the same engine and gets closer to 15 mpg, but he is running 31” tires not 35’s. To me it was worth every penny, if I need another one would not hesitate to do it again
What did it cost for the motor and freight?

OX1

Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines of an early bronco. I've now seen two with coyote motors and it got me thinking that might be a good option for me whenever I get the chance to do an EB.
It wouldn't make much sense in a 78/79.

Every time I've priced out the full cost of a coyote, even for one of my EB's, it's still seems like it will be 10 grand.
They are crazy fast with a blower, I trap 130 in the 1/4 with only blower and X -pipe.

20201027_175733a.jpg

But I dread the day I ever have an issue. A "cheap" built short block is 5 grand.

If I go beyond the 5.0 ** in my street EB, a 331 stroker with self tuning TB injection kit is so stupid simple.
Not as ****, but all I'll ever need without the packaging issues.

OP
OP
Zeus78

Zeus78

Reaction score
Every time I've priced out the full cost of a coyote, even for one of my EB's, it's still seems like it will be 10 grand.
They are crazy fast with a blower, I trap 130 in the 1/4 with only blower and X -pipe.

View attachment 28588

But I dread the day I ever have an issue. A "cheap" built short block is 5 grand.

If I go beyond the 5.0 ** in my street EB, a 331 stroker with self tuning TB injection kit is so stupid simple.
Not as ****, but all I'll ever need without the packaging issues.
All very good points. I guess the coyote has some wow factor to it, but a stroker with efi is pretty damn awesome.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I know there is a connector under the hood just beyond the fire wall, but I don't know if that connector has both the reverse lights AND the washer pump in it. If it does, that has to be the issue.
But I read where that connector has 4 wires and the reverse light switch runs back and forth to it, so maybe the res pump doesn’t go through that connector.
If its a standard shift. The reverse switch is mounted on the drivers side--almost to the top of the transmission and the wire runs up the fire wall and connect to a hot wire.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Going with a new painless harness has crossed my mind, but up until now, I haven't had very many electrical issues with this. I've had the bronco since '96. Been in a lot of mud and it sat for a good 10 years, so I feel fortunate that I only have these 2 or 3 small issues (and a toasted transmission).
I,ve had mine since the mid-80,s

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I'll be glad when I'm done with this Chevy. Half of the truck was built with metric hardware. 1990/91 must be when they slowly made the transition over in bowtie land. I definitely get my steps in while going back and forth to the tool chests.
Thing had two broken leaf springs and the body mounts were rusted right through. Rust is really not good for your digestive system.
I had a 79 Caprice that was half metric and it was the main dislike I liked about it. I had to replace or rebuild about everything on it too. The the frame started rusting and I traded it off. For some work on mt bronco doors. It would do about 80 in drive two.hahaha You could drop it in drive two and no one passed you.haha

johnnyreb

Reaction score
The WORST! GM actually put metric heads on English threads!
well it was a pain to work on because of that. Later on I took the 305 out and put a 350 in it. I had to do alot of work on it,but when I got done, . It was a good dependable car.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Those were fine cars.
The 305? Bleh
Well I didn,t get to use it long at all. Maybe a week. Some one had put some screws down the carb and ruint the motor---even thought I had it less then a month,. The place I bought it said they would rebuild it,but I would have to . Have to pay for the labor. I told them FINE. I,ll rebuild it and not buy another from them and tell other people. Which I did,but I rebuilt a 350 and put it in.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke