Electrical issue has me stumped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Going with a new painless harness has crossed my mind, but up until now, I haven't had very many electrical issues with this. I've had the bronco since '96. Been in a lot of mud and it sat for a good 10 years, so I feel fortunate that I only have these 2 or 3 small issues (and a toasted transmission).
Been in ALOT OF MUD and sat for about 10 years. Sounds like you have alot of connections that needs cleaned and grounds. Putting in a new wire harness takes time--as well as cleaning what you have got. You would be better off cleaning all your grounds and connection. A light switch will go bad sitting around. I,d start their FIRST . When things start making you irrated--mad--take a break from it .Then come back later and you,ll see things you never noticed before.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I know there is a connector under the hood just beyond the fire wall, but I don't know if that connector has both the reverse lights AND the washer pump in it. If it does, that has to be the issue.
But I read where that connector has 4 wires and the reverse light switch runs back and forth to it, so maybe the res pump doesn’t go through that connector.
The reverse wire (red and black) and the washer has a red and black wire too.

OP
OP
Zeus78

Zeus78

Reaction score
Why is the BLACK cable hooked up with the POSTIVE SIDE for? I ,d un-hook it now.
Are you talking about the cables coming off the battery? Those are cables I got from work, the + has red heat shrink on both ends and is labeled twice in line.

OP
OP
Zeus78

Zeus78

Reaction score
Been in ALOT OF MUD and sat for about 10 years. Sounds like you have alot of connections that needs cleaned and grounds. Putting in a new wire harness takes time--as well as cleaning what you have got. You would be better off cleaning all your grounds and connection. A light switch will go bad sitting around. I,d start their FIRST . When things start making you irrated--mad--take a break from it .Then come back later and you,ll see things you never noticed before.
I was able to get the parking lights, blinkers and hazards working, all that is left is the reverse lights and washer pump. I'm getting there.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
hEAR IS THE WIRE COMING UP FROM THE TRANSMISSION SWITCH. iF YOU WILL NOTICE--IT COMES OUT AS 1 WIRE,BUT SPLITS APART. This is where I hooked the hot wire and the wire going to the back up lights. To make sure they are working. Leave it in REVERSE. Then check it a couple of times to make sure. Then tape all the connections.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
hEAR IS THE WIRE COMING UP FROM THE TRANSMISSION SWITCH. iF YOU WILL NOTICE--IT COMES OUT AS 1 WIRE,BUT SPLITS APART. This is where I hooked the hot wire and the wire going to the back up lights. To make sure they are working. Leave it in REVERSE. Then check it a couple of times to make sure. Then tape all the connections.
Work on 1 thing at a time and thinks will work easier.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
From the drawing I sent you. You should have no problem.
The reason I went this route . Is I didn,t want to go in behind the dash.Where its hard to get too and I would have had to go into the light switch and ignition. The drawing is a easy way. Good luck.

OP
OP
Zeus78

Zeus78

Reaction score
On mine--the washer wire comes out of the firewall
Right, the washer pump and reverse lights run from the #11 fuse, so they both run out of the fire wall.
The fact that the pump and lights are out is telling, but the fuse is good and I have power to both sides of the fuse, so it's something beyond the fuse block.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Right, the washer pump and reverse lights run from the #11 fuse, so they both run out of the fire wall.
The fact that the pump and lights are out is telling, but the fuse is good and I have power to both sides of the fuse, so it's something beyond the fuse block.
That is when I figured it was behind the dash. Up in that tight corner. Its why I changed mine. You might also think about putting in a new light switch. They do go bad after sitting around for awhile. I found out one night .Bringing my car out of storeage .In a down pouring snow. I dimmed the lights and everything went out. Finally I got the back on and made it home.I thought it was the dimmer,but turned out to be the switch--I replaced both.The dimmer first and it still acted up.Changed the switch and everything works.

OP
OP
Zeus78

Zeus78

Reaction score
That is when I figured it was behind the dash. Up in that tight corner. Its why I changed mine. You might also think about putting in a new light switch. They do go bad after sitting around for awhile. I found out one night .Bringing my car out of storeage .In a down pouring snow. I dimmed the lights and everything went out. Finally I got the back on and made it home.I thought it was the dimmer,but turned out to be the switch--I replaced both.The dimmer first and it still acted up.Changed the switch and everything works.
I just changed out the light switch and wiper switch. My interior lights and wipers weren't working prior to installing those switches, now they do.
In fact, I don't think my interior lights have worked in 20 years, I never cared enough about them to troubleshoot the issue, but I like that they actually work.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I just changed out the light switch and wiper switch. My interior lights and wipers weren't working prior to installing those switches, now they do.
In fact, I don't think my interior lights have worked in 20 years, I never cared enough about them to troubleshoot the issue, but I like that they actually work.
Well the lights in my 78 never was very bright.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I'll be glad when I'm done with this Chevy. Half of the truck was built with metric hardware. 1990/91 must be when they slowly made the transition over in bowtie land. I definitely get my steps in while going back and forth to the tool chests.
Thing had two broken leaf springs and the body mounts were rusted right through. Rust is really not good for your digestive system.
Well I had a 79 Caprice and half the bolts in it were metric.Really aggervating. Plus the chevy are harder to work on.Just try and take a fender off of one and one off a bronco. On the chevy (I have a 86) you even have to take the wipers and piece that covers that area up. The bronco. Just un-bolt the fender and that,s it.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Well I had a 79 Caprice and half the bolts in it were metric.Really aggervating. Plus the chevy are harder to work on.Just try and take a fender off of one and one off a bronco. On the chevy (I have a 86) you even have to take the wipers and piece that covers that area up. The bronco. Just un-bolt the fender and that,s it.
Sounds like we both are in the same boat. WE NEED A GARAGE. HAHAHA

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke