E40d Tranny Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Koopa132

Reaction score
Recently purchased a 92 with 302/E40D with 90k on it. The tranny had an intermittant shudder while shifting both up and down. It didn't happen all the time and was most noticeable under a light load such as a slight incline with only a little throttle.

I added some Sea Foam tranny cleaner and ran the truck for a few miles in each gear, then dropped the pan and changed the filter. The magnet in the pan was loaded with metal powder. I refilled the tranny with the more expensive, high mileage tranny fluid and added a bottle of some anti-shudder stuff I found on the shelf.

Once this was done I drove the truck and there was no immediate difference. After driving the truck 150 miles or so, however, the shudder seems to have disappeared.

My question is this, do I have a serious transmission problem which I simply masked with the anti-shudder formula, or could it be that all it needed was a tranny fluid and filter change? -Thanks

Raven

Reaction score
with 90kon thetranny and if it had a lot of metel either it had never been changed or there is some thing serious going on .. if you don;t have any slippage going on then I would say you should be fine it might have just needed a fluid and filter change .. but just keep an eye on it if you start getting a little bit of slipping goin gon I would have it rebuilt. the other thing is when ya drop the tranny pan you only change 2O% of the fluid in the trans. there are some places that can flush the trans with a machine that uses the truks own trans pump to push the fluid out and push the new in. so it does less possible damage from the older ones that the machine did the work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23