Driveline Clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
ck out similar thread here in da BF;

esp last para.;

a clunk or grunt from the driveline during acceleration or stopping may be caused by engine torque preventing the slip yoke from sliding smoothly on the transmission output shaft splines (96-23-20, Nov. '96)

----------------

Clunk on Take-Off Bulletin Info, Borg Warner 1356 (GEARS Mag Sep01)

Source: by Mike W via web.archive.org

Taming Some Tough Transfer Case Problems

by Mike Weinberg,

President of Rockland Standard Gear Inc.

If you work on 4-wheel drive trucks, then you've seen the Borg Warner 1356 and the New Process 241 transfer cases. These are two very common units that have some difficult problems to solve. In the following pages, I will discuss some of these problems and their associated fixes. For those of you planning to attend this year's Expo in Rhode Island, you'll get even more fixes for some standard transmission problems during my Stick Tricks seminar.

Let's start with the Borg Warner 1356 and some common planet problems. Late design planets have a bronze ****** washer between the back of the input gear (sun gear) and the back of the planetary carrier case (figure 1). These washers wear out due to ****** loads creating excessive endplay in the carrier. The carrier cannot be disassembled and must be replaced as an assembly. The clearance between the input gear ( sun gear) and the back of the planet carrier should not exceed 60/1000 of an inch. Early design planets were produced without the ****** washer, but still have wear problems causing excessive endplay and disengagement of the transfer case. Clearance should not exceed 60/1000 of an inch.

You can measure the input clearance as shown in figure 2 with a dial indicator. Zero the indicator with the input resting in the planet case. Pull up on the input gently and read the indicated amount of travel. The same measurement can be made with a feeler gauge. Place the gauge between the bottom of the input and the planetary case to measure the clearance (figure 3). Either method of measurement will work with early or late design planets.

Another common problem with the 1356 is case wear. It is not unusual for the oil pump-retaining bracket to damage the case. Figure 4 shows that this particular case has a notch at least half way through the aluminum boss.

There are two ways to fix this problem without replacing the case: one method is to bend the bracket to relocate it to a fresh spot on the case. The second is to rivet or weld a small foot on the end of the bracket that is the same width as the slot in the case, which will prevent further wear. If the bracket is allowed to eat through the case, the oil pump will spin on the shaft; tearing out the feed line and the unit will self-destruct due to lack of pressurized ****.

Manually shifted units usually exhibit wear on the selector shaft in two areas (figure 5). Shaft wear in any form will make the unit disengage or have very sloppy shifting. The star shaped end of the shaft where it mates with the shift cam is also prone to wear. Borg Warner released an updated shift cam with an Allen ***** to tighten up the fit and retain the manual lever. Look at the section of the manual lever that rides in the case, which is also subject to wear from dirt and two dissimilar metals in close contact.

read more here - go to the thread..see hot link there for entire article by Mike

doitnowkid

Reaction score
My '94 Bronco had the same clunking when I put it into reverse and also in the first gear. It all went away, when I replaced the radius arm bushings. Now it's quite as a mouse and it shifts smoothly. I have a Ford repair manual, and under the heading, noises from driveshaft, etc... they suggest that we look at the suspension system and tighten all the bolts and check all the bushings.

After my own experience, I agree.

doitnowkid :))

OP
OP
michibronc

michibronc

Reaction score
Sorry I'm so late getting back about this! I lubed the slip joint in the rear drive shaft and it fixed the vast, vast majority of the binding and all of the noise. The more it is driven, the smoother it works. Maybe going without **** wore things a little. It's quite tolerable now.

I still get a very slight shudder when I accelerate hard in low gears and I get a very slight vibration when cruising at about 72 - 77 mph on the expressway. Maybe I'm just looking for too good of a ride in this kind of vehicle - I haven't been in enough Broncos to know! I changed the rear U-joint on the rear driveshaft when I lubed the driveshaft splines, so that shouldn't be the problem. How do you go about changing out the double cardan joint in front? I've heard that you need to take it to a machine shop in order to get that done. Anyone have any experience changing the double cardan at the front of the rear driveshaft?

ck out similar thread here in da BF;esp last para.;

a clunk or grunt from the driveline during acceleration or stopping may be caused by engine torque preventing the slip yoke from sliding smoothly on the transmission output shaft splines (96-23-20, Nov. '96)

----------------

Clunk on Take-Off Bulletin Info, Borg Warner 1356 (GEARS Mag Sep01)

Source: by Mike W via web.archive.org

Taming Some Tough Transfer Case Problems

by Mike Weinberg,

President of Rockland Standard Gear Inc.

If you work on 4-wheel drive trucks, then you've seen the Borg Warner 1356 and the New Process 241 transfer cases. These are two very common units that have some difficult problems to solve. In the following pages, I will discuss some of these problems and their associated fixes. For those of you planning to attend this year's Expo in Rhode Island, you'll get even more fixes for some standard transmission problems during my Stick Tricks seminar.

Let's start with the Borg Warner 1356 and some common planet problems. Late design planets have a bronze ****** washer between the back of the input gear (sun gear) and the back of the planetary carrier case (figure 1). These washers wear out due to ****** loads creating excessive endplay in the carrier. The carrier cannot be disassembled and must be replaced as an assembly. The clearance between the input gear ( sun gear) and the back of the planet carrier should not exceed 60/1000 of an inch. Early design planets were produced without the ****** washer, but still have wear problems causing excessive endplay and disengagement of the transfer case. Clearance should not exceed 60/1000 of an inch.

You can measure the input clearance as shown in figure 2 with a dial indicator. Zero the indicator with the input resting in the planet case. Pull up on the input gently and read the indicated amount of travel. The same measurement can be made with a feeler gauge. Place the gauge between the bottom of the input and the planetary case to measure the clearance (figure 3). Either method of measurement will work with early or late design planets.

Another common problem with the 1356 is case wear. It is not unusual for the oil pump-retaining bracket to damage the case. Figure 4 shows that this particular case has a notch at least half way through the aluminum boss.

There are two ways to fix this problem without replacing the case: one method is to bend the bracket to relocate it to a fresh spot on the case. The second is to rivet or weld a small foot on the end of the bracket that is the same width as the slot in the case, which will prevent further wear. If the bracket is allowed to eat through the case, the oil pump will spin on the shaft; tearing out the feed line and the unit will self-destruct due to lack of pressurized ****.

Manually shifted units usually exhibit wear on the selector shaft in two areas (figure 5). Shaft wear in any form will make the unit disengage or have very sloppy shifting. The star shaped end of the shaft where it mates with the shift cam is also prone to wear. Borg Warner released an updated shift cam with an Allen ***** to tighten up the fit and retain the manual lever. Look at the section of the manual lever that rides in the case, which is also subject to wear from dirt and two dissimilar metals in close contact.

read more here - go to the thread..see hot link there for entire article by Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wdtdls