Dead Fuel Gauge - Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DesertBronco

Reaction score
On my 87 302EFI, the fuel gauge appears to be dead. Have not delved into the problem yet, but looking for an 'gotcha's' anyone knows in checking this out. I have noticed that with the vehicle off, the gauge indicates 1/4 tank (Going to put some gas in later this week to see if indicates higher when off). Anyone seen this before? Is it possible it's hooked up backwards? I'm guessing it's either the unit itself or the sending unit, possibly. Any help appreciated before I go tearing it all apart!

Seabronc

Reaction score
OK, I don't have the EVTM for your particular year, but I can't think of any reason they would have changed things in this area.

1. Your sender amay be bad, located in the tank.

2. A connection may be broken or corroded.

3. The gague may be bad but not likely

4. The instrument voltage regulator may be bad but not likely unless problems seem to be aparent in the Temp. and Oil Pressure gagues also.

Try reseating the connector to the instrument panel, check the connector where the wires go thru the firewall (driver side), C127 which is located near the steering column. (If dual tanks, the connection to the selector switch. under dash). connector at tank.

I wouild remove the tank connector and clean it. The gague shows full when no resistance and goes down as resistance increases. The other end of it is the ground side. A high resistance ground could give you that reading also.

The wire color code should be (black for gronnd) and yellow with white stripe for line to gague.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
D

DesertBronco

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I figured as much. When I eventually pull the body off the frame and re-coat it, I plan to upgrade/replace the fuel lines with nice braided lines, so will save the job for then!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23