Temp/Fuel gauges erratic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moosemeadows

Reaction score
I have an 87 Bronco ll with a 4.0 from a 93 Explorer installed with 5spd. I've replaced the IVR about 6 times in the 6 years that I've owned it. They have come from various places both factory and aftermarket and all work fine for a period of time but then do the same thing go full high. When I worked at Ford I don't ever remember giving the Mechanics that many IVR's. I remember seeing where someone came up with a work around replacing the factory IVR with a made one using a capacitor from Radio Shack, dating myself now. I have owned a few Bronco ll over the years and do have a dash cluster from a 84 with real gauges. Anybody ever replace the 87 dash with an earlier year? Thoughts or suggestions welcomed. Thank you.

Motech

Reaction score
This is a curious one. I'm running a bit behind this morning, need to rise up off this commode and boogie, but I'll check back later with some diagrams and thoughts.

Couple questions:

• Are gauges currently pegged? Or do they randomly peg now, or have they when IVR was replaced in the past?
• I presume you have an '87 cluster in there now. Which gauges does it include? And which gauges does your '84 include? Do either or both include factory tach?

Thanks. I'll check back in later, likely today.

OP
OP
M

moosemeadows

Reaction score
This is a curious one. I'm running a bit behind this morning, need to rise up off this commode and boogie, but I'll check back later with some diagrams and thoughts.

Couple questions:

• Are gauges currently pegged? Or do they randomly peg now, or have they when IVR was replaced in the past?
• I presume you have an '87 cluster in there now. Which gauges does it include? And which gauges does your '84 include? Do either or both include factory tach?

Thanks. I'll check back in later, likely today.
The gauges aren't pegged at this moment but that could change the next trip to town. They do it whenever they feel the need even if I leave the house normal but 4 miles down the road I'll look and they're pegged. I'll stop at parts house to get my order come back out start it up and they act normal all the way home. I've replaced the IVR twice since moving here and 3 times when we lived up North and drove 70 miles back and forth to work.
Yes the 87 cluster is in now and it has fuel and temp only with a tach. I looked for my other cluster today but it wasn't there. Must have tossed it after I sold the 85 I had thinking I'd never need it. It had 4 gauges and no tach so I guess that's out of the mix now.

OP
OP
M

moosemeadows

Reaction score
No idea why you are popping them but came across this a few years back if you want to build your own.

https://chris66dad.tripod.com/id29.html

I too am Radio Shack old. LOL
Thanks for the info. I did see this awhile ago and forgot all about it. I remember a different version that used the ends from a toy that took a 9v battery that was wired to a capacitor and snapped into the cluster. That's an option that I may explore after I finish my current project. Thank you again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke