Dashboard lighting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Js32274

Reaction score
Hey guys. First question. My ‘79 I just bought has very low lights on the dash board when I drive at night. It is hard to see the gauges. Do I replace the bulbs? Do I have to take it to a shop for this? I’m new so talk to me like I am 6. Thanks for any direction.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo J,
For now, until I look through my notes;
See if you can access the bulbs from backside of cluster.

Screenshot_20220104-081006_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20220104-081022_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
7879_b5.gif

Cluster Removal;
Disconnect the battery ground cable.
  1. Remove the radio knobs from the radio shafts (if so equipped).
  2. Remove the fuel gauge switch **** (if so equipped), heater control knobs and wiper/washer ****. Use a hook-shaped tool to release each **** lock tab.
  3. Remove the **** and shaft from the light switch.
  4. Remove one nut and washer from each radio control shaft, and remove the radio bezel.
  5. Remove the cluster trim cover. The attaching screws are located as follows: four screws along top of bezel; one ***** between the lights and wiper/washer switch, and two screws below the radio. Then, disconnect the A/C duct (if so equipped), and illumination light from the bezel. The illumination light is located between the lights and wiper/washer switches. Remove four cluster attaching screws, disconnect the speedometer cable and wire connector from the printed circuit, and remove the cluster.
To install:

1. Position cluster to opening and connect the multiple connector and the speedometer cable. Connect the A/C duct and A/C illumination light (if so equipped) and install the four cluster retaining screws.
  2. Install the trim cover.
  3. Install the radio bezel (if so equipped).
  4. Install the light switch **** and shaft.
  5. Install the heater control knobs and the wiper/washer control knobs.
  6. Install the radio knobs, (if so equipped).
  7. Connect the battery cable, and check the operation of all gauges, lights and signals.

For troubleshooting;
1979-bronco-f100-through-f350_page_26.jpg

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I have had the same BAD LIGHTING problem to and finally THOUGHT I would FIX it. i REPLACED the bulbs with LED and the light switch and it NEVER helped any. All ofthe 76 trucks and broncos I have seen are like that. Maybe they came from the factory like that.Even the 78 pick up a guy I used to ride back and fords Norfolk,Va.and it was a new truck.

Black Bronco King

Reaction score
Hey guys. First question. My ‘79 I just bought has very low lights on the dash board when I drive at night. It is hard to see the gauges. Do I replace the bulbs? Do I have to take it to a shop for this? I’m new so talk to me like I am 6. Thanks for any direction.
Try removing the cluster and send to:
Speedo Check
12353 Whitier Blvd
Whittier CA 90602
‭(562) 464-0699‬

They are true professionals. They will completely test & rebuild it (lights gauges, etc)
Worth a call to discuss with them. Maybe a local guy near has a good rep too.

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
They have dimmable led bulbs that will swap and fit. Had one 79 come in the shop, the guy said the lights would not work. Ended up being the headlight switch. Replaced it and all new bulbs and it works great. Check the out put from the rheostat to the bulbs this should change. Feel free to contact me if you if you continue to have electrical issues

johnnyreb

Reaction score
From all the ones I have seen--including mine. They all are dim. I even put led,s in mine and it helped very little. It was a waste of money and time. I just might try and re-wire mine. Both of my 78,s are dim too.. Maybe the relay is the problem?

johnnyreb

Reaction score
They have dimmable led bulbs that will swap and fit. Had one 79 come in the shop, the guy said the lights would not work. Ended up being the headlight switch. Replaced it and all new bulbs and it works great. Check the out put from the rheostat to the bulbs this should change. Feel free to contact me if you if you continue to have electrical issues
Well I put a new switch ,cleaned (scraped off the paint where the grounds are) and put in new led bulbs(they barely helped). Then a couple of days ago. I took the connecting wired . That go into the circut board in the back and took some 1200 grits paper and cleaned it up real good and shiney. I hope it works. Then I won,t know if the China made light switch will be good or not. I guess if it came down to it. A person can make up some sockets and a seperate wire(s) panel for them.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Well mine are too. Their is a regulator behind the dash that MIGHT be the problem--not sure or not. I even put led bulbs inmine and you could barely tell the difference and I have heard they could mess up the cluste some how. I went ahead and took mine back out and replaced with original bulbs. I,ll try the regulator later on.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yo Shaggy,
Can you please remove any text replacement tool?

For example in #3 in my above post
  1. Remove the **** and shaft from the light switch.
  2. Asterisk replaced "k n o b"
The first picture behind the dash. What is IVR--INTERNAL VOLTAGE REGULATOR ? Maybe that goes bad and causes the dim lights?

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yo Shaggy,
Can you please remove any text replacement tool?

For example in #3 in my above post
  1. Remove the **** and shaft from the light switch.
  2. Asterisk replaced "k n o b"
How are you Miensk? Haven,t seen you in awhile. Hope everything is going good for you.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
For starters when it gets dark. As you look at the instrument panel at night. Is their more light in some areas then others? If so--the areas that are dark could have the bulb(s) burnt out. These bulbs are easy to change. You,ll have to take the front parts off to get to them . Take your time and look real good and you can see what all needs to be done. Also to take the cluster section all the way out. You,ll have to also disconnect the speedometer and the electrical plug in. Un-- hook the battery before doing this . Just take your time and pay attention. If you have a phone--with a camera--take some pictures for your own reference. Its easy when you start on it--and Iam sure you can do it. Good luck.

Motech

Reaction score
The first picture behind the dash. What is IVR--INTERNAL VOLTAGE REGULATOR ? Maybe that goes bad and causes the dim lights?

IVR regulated voltage for the gauges, or "instruments" back in the day. Illumination circuits are entirely unrelated.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
IVR regulated voltage for the gauges, or "instruments" back in the day. Illumination circuits are entirely unrelated.
If a person could get some good made parts --instead of this junk from China. We would have less trouble. I,m gonna try and go back to he junk yard before long and get some good American parts.

Motech

Reaction score
Jav
If a person could get some good made parts --instead of this junk from China. We would have less trouble. I,m gonna try and go back to he junk yard before long and get some good American parts.

Have you tried a headlamp switch? Rheostat failure inside the switch is real common. (that's the rotating resistor that dims the lights when you turn the ****)

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Jav

Have you tried a headlamp switch? Rheostat failure inside the switch is real common. (that's the rotating resistor that dims the lights when you turn the ****)
Yes, it has about the 3 or 4 new in in. Made in China junk. Most parts are made in China and its junk. . Same as our politicains--bought off buy them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno