Dana 20 T-shift rebuild underway!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

genthree

Reaction score
Got it out of the bronco...  Took out the adapter with the D20...  It was getting REALLY hot while not in 4WD, figured I have a bearing going out....

Got most of the case apart yesterday, took it into work where I have some bigger tools and more space.  Got the rest of it taken apart today, and all looks pretty good.  Couldn't find the bearing I was having issues with, so I have my fingers crossed that I am not wasting time and money.  Going to run over to TOM's in the AM to get the master rebuild kit.

I will keep you posted....

Last edited by a moderator:

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Good job..!!

If you haven't discovered this already..,

Have them (at Toms) show you the roller bearings between the adaptor & the rear output shaft.

They need to be put back in place with some heavy grease to hold them in place during reassemble. 

I believe there's 13 rollers.

Deeper in, there's 50 rollers (cluster gear) that need the same attention.

Heavy 'lil buggers aren't they..!

B

P.S.  Do let us know.., curious what would bind up (with heat) W/O making some sort of audible sound..? 

OP
OP
genthree

genthree

Reaction score
BB- There was noise when in 4WD and that is what got me moving in the rebuild direction.... Since it was heating up in 2H and making noise in 4H I figured "what the heck, I have never seen the inside of it..."

Thanks for the tip on the needle bearings (a little late)....  My wife and son were in the garage when I found the first bunch and they heard some language and decided I probably needed some time alone....

For people with a '73 factory T-shift....  there may be some mismatched parts as FORD moved from T to J....  I am running back over to Tom's today, Matt is going to swap out some bearings from the kit for me.  I LOVE LIVING 7 MILES FROM TOM'S BRONCOS!!!!!

Hopefully we will have it back together today and back in the rig tonight....  Wish me luck!!!

OP
OP
genthree

genthree

Reaction score
Finally got it back in yesterday, putting the exhaust back in today.  I am going to replace the C4 selector seal while I have the fluids out, hopefully I will get that done today as well.

Ran into some issues with the rebuild, but my primary problem was TIME, two weekends at soccer tourneys with the girls and a week it Atlanta for business....  I hate it when people mess around with my priorities.

It was a fun rebuild, when I got it done I ran it over to TOMS and had them take a "feel" of it, and they thought it felt OK....  I just hope it works....  

OP
OP
genthree

genthree

Reaction score
Got it put back together and install. I drove it today and had issues shifting into for high. It shift from two hi two neutral and 4 low but then when I try to go to 4 high it won't shift. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Things may be a bit tight in there with new parts, etc.

Try having some folks push/rock you back-n-forth  (somewhat lightly) with clutch out & in 2hi ..... see if it will shift during this movement. 

(transmission in gear)

Also, is the shifter still hooked to the two shift-shafts..?  i.e all that hooked up correctly.?

OP
OP
genthree

genthree

Reaction score
I think I did.... Hoping it is just stiff... I am going to drive it for a bit then worry about it.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
I learned early on these D-20's can be a struggle to shift & figured out how to coax them.

For that reason, I've not converted to the "twin-stick" setup for the EB's.

I do think the twin is a neat setup & may just do it one day.., just to have a new toy.. ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  

Lets hope that loosens up....

BTW.., is yours the actual "T" handle shifter with the push button release..?

Sometimes that mechanism has issues.

OP
OP
genthree

genthree

Reaction score
Replaced the button, all new stuff.  It's weird that is shifts all around 4L and Neutral and 2H without any issues.  It's just going into 4H that it has issues....  I got bigger problem though so I am going to start a new TOPIC...

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Pulling the handle all the way back to engage 4hi  pulls both shift rods forward.

Look from underneath with flashlight to be sure nothing is in the way..., stopping the travel.

----hope hope hope it's not something internal.... 

OP
OP
genthree

genthree

Reaction score
Went into Tom's today and Matt suggested I pull the springs on the detent balls to make sure I put them in the right spot....  Will keep you posted....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK