DAMN IGNITION!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trains11tjc

Reaction score
ok so the original guy we had work on my truck hotwired it...dont get me going on why he did this...but he hotwired it and i left the battery cable on, not knowing that when u have a hotwire u dont leave the battery cable on so i left it on and now a cant start my truck. Originally we thought it was just the breaker points and condenser so i ran to autozone picked those up and we put them in, needless to say it still wont start then i bought a coil and we stuck that in there and its still not starting. We stuck a ***** in the red connector wire to see if it was getting any spark and it was so we dont know what the deal is. We think it might be the negative wire (black) but we arent sure....any thoughts?

S_bolt19

Reaction score
First off what are the symptoms? Is it clicking when you turn the key? Is it just sitting there making no noise? Has the starter selonoid ever been replaced? What about the starter, if you leave the hot connected then you will burn up the starter. Need a little more info to help ya out.

OP
OP
T

trains11tjc

Reaction score
First off what are the symptoms? Is it clicking when you turn the key? Is it just sitting there making no noise? Has the starter selonoid ever been replaced? What about the starter, if you leave the hot connected then you will burn up the starter. Need a little more info to help ya out.
sorry i dont know much mechanic wise so yea. yea it tries to start it just isnt starting up....it revs and trys to start but doesnt. ok this is probably the most ******** question ever but...starter? i dont think i have a starter lol its a 66 bronco do they have em...yes i am an idiot.

Seabronc

Reaction score
ok so the original guy we had work on my truck hotwired it...dont get me going on why he did this...but he hotwired it and i left the battery cable on, not knowing that when u have a hotwire u dont leave the battery cable on so i left it on and now a cant start my truck. Originally we thought it was just the breaker points and condenser so i ran to autozone picked those up and we put them in, needless to say it still wont start then i bought a coil and we stuck that in there and its still not starting. We stuck a ***** in the red connector wire to see if it was getting any spark and it was so we dont know what the deal is. We think it might be the negative wire (black) but we arent sure....any thoughts?
If you have spark and the timing is reasonably close then you must have a fuel delivery problem. Have you tried squirting a little gas in the carborator while trying to start it? yes, you have a starter. That is what turns the motor over when you turn the key.

I would suggest that you either give it to a real mechanic to fix it or go to your local book store and get some books on basic auto repair.

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

marvin

Reaction score
my budy's 86's selonoid got stuck (he let the little lady drive it )she turned it off so the motor was off butshe let it crank untill the Batt. ran dead he went out and got all new ignition parts and new batt still nothing it acted like it wanted to start but nothing checked the fuel pump and it was burned up got a new one and he's on the road but i think a 66-77 would have a manual pump but you might check and see if someone has changed it

OP
OP
T

trains11tjc

Reaction score
If you have spark and the timing is reasonably close then you must have a fuel delivery problem. Have you tried squirting a little gas in the carborator whild trying to start it? yes, you have a starter. That is what turns the motor over when you turn the key.

I would suggest that you either give it to a real mechanic to fix it or go to your local book store and get some books on basic auto repair.

Good luck,

:)>-
My grandpas has been working on diesel engines for 8 years so im pretty sure he's a "REAL" mechanic and even he isnt sure what it is. he thinks it might be the black wire that runs from the coil to the bottom of the distributor but he's not sure. And yes we've tried squirting gas in the carb and it still didnt do anything. Any other suggestions?

S_bolt19

Reaction score
I don't want to sound redundant or condescending, but you definatly need to give the symptoms as to what exactly it is doing. The only thing we can do is give you suggestions to shoot for because you haven't really given us a symptom to diagnose.

"yea it tries to start it just isnt starting up....it revs and trys to start but doesnt."

That is a start, but you need to give more info. With that statement, you could be out of time, your carb could need adjusting or need rejetting...we just need more info. As to the ground wire on the coil, i doubt it would be that because if the coil isn't grounded then it won't start at all. It would just sit and crank. If that wire IS loose, then it would cause it to start up run until it worked it's self loose again then die. When a coil is dead, there is no "it might work" type of guessing, either yes or no it runs.

So, like I said, I don't want to sound condescending to ya, but please explain, in good lenght detail, what is going on.

OP
OP
T

trains11tjc

Reaction score
found the problem. the distributor was wired wrong. should be putting the distributor in it soon to see if that solves it. which it should.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23